Boot.ini File

I am running WinXP operating system.
When it is loading, I get the message:

"Invalid BOOT.INI file, Booting from C:\Windows\"

I have searched my HD's for the Boot.ini file, but it is not there.
The computer seems to run fine, I just get the message when loading the OP
system.

I do not see this message on my other two computers, both running WinXP.

Is this a problem?
What is causing it and how do I fix it.

Thanks for the help.

Compare the boot.ini file on your other computers with the this one.

Click Start, right click My Computer, click Properties,
Click Advanced tab,
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings button,
Click Edit.

Make changes as necessary.

--
JerryM (ID)

TxNative wrote:
> I am running WinXP operating system.
> When it is loading, I get the message:
>
> "Invalid BOOT.INI file, Booting from C:\Windows\"
>
> I have searched my HD's for the Boot.ini file, but it is not there.
> The computer seems to run fine, I just get the message when loading
> the OP system.
>
> I do not see this message on my other two computers, both running
> WinXP.
>
> Is this a problem?
> What is causing it and how do I fix it.
>
> Thanks for the help.

XP will still boot OK, even without the boot.ini file.

You can rebuild the boot.ini file using the steps in the following article.
Post back here if you need more information.

"Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages when you
start your computer:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330184

--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

When I go through the steps below on my other two computers, it gives me a
boot.ini file to edit.
On the computer in question, it tells me:
"the C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened, Operating system and timeout
settings cannot be changed."
If I hit OK, then I get the Startup and Recovery window.
I click Edit and then get the message:
"Cannot find the C:\boot.ini file."

As I said below, I have searched the HD's for the file and it appears that
for some reason the Boot.ini file is no longer on this computer. Can I just
copy one from the other computer and install it in the C directory? Or do I
need to reinstall WinXP Pro?

"Squire" <jerrym526@cableone.net> wrote in message
Compare the boot.ini file on your other computers with the this one.

Click Start, right click My Computer, click Properties,
Click Advanced tab,
Under Startup and Recovery, click Settings button,
Click Edit.

Make changes as necessary.

--
JerryM (ID)

"TxNative" <TxNative@noSPAM.SPAM> wrote in message
>I am running WinXP operating system.
> When it is loading, I get the message:
>
> "Invalid BOOT.INI file, Booting from C:\Windows\"
>
> I have searched my HD's for the Boot.ini file, but it is not there.
> The computer seems to run fine, I just get the message when loading the OP
> system.
>
> I do not see this message on my other two computers, both running WinXP.
>
> Is this a problem?
> What is causing it and how do I fix it.
>
> Thanks for the help.

The Boot .ini file is hidden in the C: directory,
Go into the C: directory and type ATTRIB -S -H -R BOOT.INI
Then type DIR and hit Enter to see it,
delete the file and copy in one from your other computer.

--
JerryM (ID)

"TxNative" <TxNative@noSPAM.SPAM> wrote in message news:OrLTc.1809$E25.488@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com...
> When I go through the steps below on my other two computers, it gives me a
> boot.ini file to edit.
<Snip>

|:| "TxNative" <TxNative@noSPAM.SPAM>
|:| Message news:ZPKTc.1159$QL4.785@newssvr24.news.prodigy.com
|:| I am running WinXP operating system.
|:| When it is loading, I get the message:
|:|
|:| "Invalid BOOT.INI file, Booting from C:\Windows\"
|:|
|:| I have searched my HD's for the Boot.ini file, but it is not
|:| there. <SNIP>

|: "Squire" http://www.microsoft.com/communities/privacy.mspx
|: Message news:eeBTEqtgEHA.2812@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
|: Compare the boot.ini file on your other computers with the
|: this one. <SNIP>

| "TxNative" <TxNative@noSPAM.SPAM>
| Message news:OrLTc.1809$E25.488@newssvr22.news.prodigy.com
| When I go through the steps below on my other two computers, it
| gives me a boot.ini file to edit.
| On the computer in question, it tells me:
| "the C:\boot.ini file cannot be opened, Operating system and
| timeout settings cannot be changed."
| If I hit OK, then I get the Startup and Recovery window.
| I click Edit and then get the message:
| "Cannot find the C:\boot.ini file."
|
| As I said below, I have searched the HD's for the file and it
| appears that for some reason the Boot.ini file is no longer on
| this computer. Can I just copy one from the other computer and
| install it in the C directory? Or do I need to reinstall WinXP
| Pro?

The Recovery Console command bootcfg can rebuild a new boot.ini
file if one does not exist. For more information see the
following Microsoft Knowledge Base articles and Documentation:

KB291980 - A discussion about the Bootcfg command and its uses
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;291980

Microsoft Windows XP Professional Product Documentation
"Microsoft Windows XP - Bootcfg"
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/bootcfg.mspx

KB314058 - Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;314058

I do not think it is "hidden". I have my folders set up to show All files,
including system files. I have done several searches for the file. If it was
on the computer, the search should find it.
I do not think it is there. Therefore, there is no file to delete.
Based on your response below, you seem to be saying that I can copy one from
my other computer and it will work.
I will try that and see if it works OK.

Thanks for the help.

The Boot .ini file is hidden in the C: directory,
Go into the C: directory and type ATTRIB -S -H -R BOOT.INI
Then type DIR and hit Enter to see it,
delete the file and copy in one from your other computer.

--
JerryM (ID)

"TxNative" <TxNative@noSPAM.SPAM> wrote in message
> When I go through the steps below on my other two computers, it gives me a
> boot.ini file to edit.
<Snip>

Thanks,
That took care of it.

TxNative wrote:
> Thanks,
> That took care of it.

Glad this helped. Enjoy. :)
--
Regards,

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP
Windows Shell/User

http://www.dts-l.org
http://www.mvps.org

>I do not think it is "hidden". I have my folders set up to show All
>files,
> including system files. I have done several searches for the file.
> If it was
> on the computer, the search should find it.
> I do not think it is there. Therefore, there is no file to delete.
> Based on your response below, you seem to be saying that I can
> copy one from
> my other computer and it will work.
> I will try that and see if it works OK.
>
> Thanks for the help.

Boot.Ini is a hidden protected operating system file. To see it in
the directory listing, you have check Show hidden files and folders
and uncheck Hide protected operating system files in Tools/Folder
Options/View from any open Explorer folder menu. Be sure to change
it back when you are done. You will see Desktop.Ini files pop up in
all your folders and on the desktop. You could inadvertently delete
one of those files if they are visible all the time.

You would have had to follow the steps above to locate the file on
your other computer if you wanted to copy it.

--
Earl F. Parrish