[SOLVED] Boot Issues - Help please

Status
Not open for further replies.

n46krb

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hello
I have an older macbook that won't boot. All it shows is a grey screen/grey apple. Underneath that a loading bar and the wheel spinning. The loading bar slowly gets about a quarter of the way than the system will just shut off.

I have tried command+r, command+option+r. Nothing, keeps doing the same. The only thing I can get on it is the diagnostics if I hold down "D"
Diagnostics goes through saying everything is okay. I've ran into this sort of issue before and I'm wondering if it's the Hard drive cable. I've tested the hard drive itself and it appeared to be okay. I removed it, placed it in a dock and tested it with seatools, WD tools, etc.

I would try just re installing the OS, but I can't get to disk utility or anything. How can I reinstall the OS if I have no disks, USB or anything? If I download it and pay for it (an older OS that's compatible with this like snow leopard or something) How can I download that to a bootable disk? Thanks. It's a 2009 macbook. Not sure of the actual model number it's worn off the bottom and I can't get the system to boot properly (obviously).

Solution
With the drive hooked up via USB, hold Option after the chime and then select the drive to boot from. If it boots normally it is most likely the cable.
Status
Not open for further replies.