Question Boot problem after I upgraded the CPU from an A8 9600 to a Ryzen 5 4600G ?

Mar 2, 2024
Hello. I've never reached out for help before because I've always been able to figure things out with patience and reading, but this problem has gone beyond my capabilities. Plus, it's really frustrating because I bought this new processor and can't do anything with it.

Let me explain everything in detail.

My PC specs are:

Motherboard: Gigabyte A320M-HD2
Processor: AMD A8 9600 3.4GHz
RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400MHz (2x4)
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1060 6GB
Drive 1: ADATA SU650 120GB SSD
Drive 2: TOSHIBA MQ01ABF050 500GB HDD
Power Supply: Aureox Powerfull ARXGP-500W

On Thursday at 6 PM, my new processor, a Ryzen 5 4600g, arrived. Initially, I thought I might need to update the BIOS, but I was hoping I wouldn't have to because I had previously updated it to use a borrowed Ryzen 5 3600. I installed the new processor, but I didn't get any display. So, I checked the official motherboard website and found out that I needed to update the BIOS to version F51d (I had version F50d). Before doing anything, I researched whether I should update to the latest version or specifically to F51d. I found online recommendations to update to the latest version, so I did. Initially, I saw the motherboard logo during boot-up, but then Windows wouldn't start. I configured the boot settings in the BIOS because they had been reset, and set it to boot from my SSD where Windows is installed. However, the problem persisted. It would show the motherboard logo, then the Windows logo, but after about 4 seconds, the screen would go black indefinitely.

I thought there might have been an issue with the BIOS update, so since I could still access it, I tried updating to the specific version (F51d) hoping it would fix the problem, but to my surprise, it didn't.

Here's the information about that BIOS version:

• Major vulnerabilities updates, customers are strongly encouraged to update to this release at the earliest.Credits to "Assaf Carlsbad and Itai Liba from SentinelOne"
  • Introduce capsule BIOS support starting this version.
  • Update AMD AGESA ComboV2 1.2.0.5 for Ryzen 4000 G-Series APU support.
  • Change default status of AMD PSP fTPM to Enabled for addressing basic Windows 11 requirements.
  • Note: NO Bristol Ridge processors support.
As it says, Ryzen 4000 G-Series is now supported. But it still didn't work. I also have to mention that Bristol Ridge processors (i.e., the A8 9600 I had) are not supported with this BIOS version and onward.

Then, on the same website, I saw that the next version (F51g) adds support for Vermeer and Cezanne processors, so I thought maybe the 4600g would be compatible with it. Again, I thought this might be the solution, but it wasn't. I finally decided to leave it on the latest version.

One thing I discovered that helped a bit was that by pressing F8, I could enter Safe Mode, and Safe Mode with Networking. In fact, I'm writing this from Safe Mode. I thought this was a significant breakthrough because it showed me that the processor and integrated graphics were indeed working. From Safe Mode, I was able to use CMD commands to check if the drives were okay, and they were.

I've tried everything. I've removed the motherboard battery multiple times, tried every BIOS boot configuration, disassembled and reassembled everything, checked all the cables, and everything seems fine. I removed the dedicated graphics card and tried with integrated graphics, but no luck. I disabled the integrated graphics and tried with the dedicated card, but still nothing. I tried reinstalling Windows from a USB drive, but encountered the same problem: the Windows logo appears, then after about 4 seconds, the screen goes black, and the monitor shows "no signal". The keyboard lights turn off, and the red light under the mouse turns off too (it always does this, not just when trying to boot from the USB to reinstall Windows). The only thing I CAN do is enter Safe Mode, and the PC works fine there. From Device Manager, I could see that there were no problems with the new processor or the dedicated graphics card. I used CHKDSK commands, and it took about an hour to check the drive, but it didn't solve anything. Honestly, I don't know what else to do.

I asked ChatGPT for help, and it gave me a lot of useful suggestions, but nothing has worked so far. I also uninstalled the integrated graphics drivers, reinstalled them with Driver Booster, uninstalled and reinstalled the official AMD drivers from the website, completely removed them with AMD Cleanup, and then reinstalled them, but nothing works. Neither with integrated graphics nor with the dedicated graphics card can I access Windows, nor can I reinstall it or access anything else because the same problem occurs. The only thing I CAN do is enter Safe Mode.

From the registry, I can see many errors, but most of them are related to services that don't start because I'm in Safe Mode. One that repeats a lot is ShellHWDetection, which doesn't start in this mode.

When I say I've tried everything, I mean it. In the end, I went back to BIOS version F31 and updated to F40e, where I had to use the old processor (A8 9600). I was able to access Windows normally, but then I updated to F51d and changed the processor, but it still doesn't work. I'm still having exactly the same problem.

I ruled out other PC components a long time ago because literally the only thing that's failing is the new processor. Not the dedicated graphics card, not the drives, not even the motherboard because with the old processor, Windows worked perfectly.

A technician friend suggested that I reinstall Windows on another USB drive, but no luck. Neither with the Microsoft tool nor with Rufus nor with an older version of Windows am I able to boot from the USB drive. According to this friend, the processor should work if I can enter Safe Mode and use it there without any issues, indicating that it must be some driver-related problem with the integrated graphics of this processor. I ruled out the BIOS being the problem because if there were an issue with it, I wouldn't even be able to see the PC startup; it would just be a black screen.

I need a solution, or else I'll have to send the processor back for warranty.

(I hadn't tried BIOS version F51h, so I installed it, but it didn't change anything. That's the version I'm currently using as I write this.)

Sorry for the lengthy text, but I wanted to provide as much detail as possible. Thank you for your understanding and assistance. And forgive the English translation, my native language is Spanish.

Mar 2, 2024
During any of this, did you install the latest AMD chipset drivers?

Also, you should never use applications like Driver Booster. They often do more harm than good.
Hi, thank you for responding. Yes, I updated them using Driver Booster and also tried to install them from the official motherboard website. Just out of curiosity, I went back and discovered that I had installed (or attempted to install) the ones for Windows 11, so I downloaded and installed the ones for Windows 10, but the installer gave me errors. I went to the AMD website and downloaded the latest chipset drivers, but the installer also gave me errors; I'm not sure if it's because I'm in Safe Mode or something else. Finally, I ran Driver Booster again, and it reinstalled the ones I had before, but they made no difference.

Edit: I just read what you wrote about Driver Booster; personally, it has always worked for me for everything. But since I have some free time, I could uninstall (again) all the drivers and install them manually.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024
Update: Alongside Display Driver Uninstaller and AMD Cleanup, I deleted all the drivers related to the processor's video. Manually, I used the "Auto-Detect and Install Driver Updates for AMD Radeon™ Series Graphics and Ryzen™ Chipsets" tool, and it downloaded "amd-software-adrenalin-edition-24.2.1-combined-minimalsetup-240223_web". Once again, it installed the chipset along with all its components and the integrated graphics drivers. About halfway through the installation, it prompted me to restart the system to continue, but I knew it wouldn't be a good idea because it would restart and not open the operating system (which is what happened).

So, after it restarted and I had to reopen safe mode, I manually continued the installation until it finished., but the error persists, and there doesn't seem to be any change. I then decided to look elsewhere and focus on the fact that I can enter safe mode but not normal mode. I imagined there was something specific preventing me from entering, so I started checking the services and such, but then I remembered that even when removing the hard drives and leaving only the Bootable USB, it still doesn't enter. I don't know what to do anymore.

Also, I noticed a VERY faint sound coming from one of the components each time the PC boots up, and when the screen goes black (yes, I'm going crazy), and I wanted to find out what it was, but I couldn't find anything (it's not a sound from the motherboard or anything, it's a very faint sound like a pause in a fan or some noise from the hard drive, but idk). Well, I don't know what to do!

Mar 2, 2024
I doubt this is the issue, but have you checked the BIOS video device setting to make sure it's set to your video card and not integrated?
Yes, the setting is on PCIe. Although I also tried on IGD and it doesn't change anything. I also removed the dedicated graphics card (GTX 1060) and tried only with the integrated graphics, but there's no change. My technician friend recommended reinstalling Windows on the C drive from another PC; it will be one of my last attempts.

It really seems like you have done pretty much everything troubleshooting wise anyone could do.

When trying to do a reinstall you mentioned removing drives does that mean you disconnected the SATA cables for the SSD/HDD from the motherboard?

Does the BIOS recognize the bootable USB when you have it plugged in?

Mar 2, 2024
It really seems like you have done pretty much everything troubleshooting wise anyone could do.

When trying to do a reinstall you mentioned removing drives does that mean you disconnected the SATA cables for the SSD/HDD from the motherboard?

Does the BIOS recognize the bootable USB when you have it plugged in?
If it recognizes them, but when I choose it as the primary boot device or when I force it to boot from the BIOS, it does exactly the same as the Windows logo for a few seconds and then the screen goes black indefinitely. Initially, I disconnected disk 2 (HDD) and couldn't boot Windows or start the installation from the USB either. I tried disconnecting the SSD and it didn't work either. I tried disconnecting both, and the result is the same.
(When I say I disconnect them, I mean removing the SATA and power cables, however, the SATA cables are still connected to the motherboard but not to the disks, I don't know if you were referring to that specifically in your question)
(I already tried using the Windows tool to install it on the USB twice, then I tried with another USB and still nothing, then I used the tool to create an ISO image and install it with Rufus but it also makes no difference)

Mar 2, 2024
Hi there.
As a last resort, I reinstalled Windows on my C drive (Adata SU650 120gb SSD) from another PC, and after getting everything set up, I connected the drive back to my PC, only the SSD with Windows. As it started up, I crossed my fingers and hoped it would boot up. The Windows logo appeared, it loaded for about 10 seconds, and then the screen went black again and didn't progress further, so it's still not working. So, I'm going to give up for now, leave this post here, and see what responses I get. AMD support will contact me on Monday, as will the vendors I contacted about the warranty issue. I'll also wait until Tuesday for my technician friend to check the PC, as he's going to try using the processor in another system he has in his business, which also happens to have the Ryzen 5 4600g but it's functioning, to see if it's a problem with the new processor or something else.
(Another thing I should mention is that now, with the new Windows, pressing F8 doesn't work to open the boot options and then enter safe mode. I tried other keys, but couldn't do it either).

Apr 8, 2024
Hi there.
As a last resort, I reinstalled Windows on my C drive (Adata SU650 120gb SSD) from another PC, and after getting everything set up, I connected the drive back to my PC, only the SSD with Windows. As it started up, I crossed my fingers and hoped it would boot up. The Windows logo appeared, it loaded for about 10 seconds, and then the screen went black again and didn't progress further, so it's still not working. So, I'm going to give up for now, leave this post here, and see what responses I get. AMD support will contact me on Monday, as will the vendors I contacted about the warranty issue. I'll also wait until Tuesday for my technician friend to check the PC, as he's going to try using the processor in another system he has in his business, which also happens to have the Ryzen 5 4600g but it's functioning, to see if it's a problem with the new processor or something else.
(Another thing I should mention is that now, with the new Windows, pressing F8 doesn't work to open the boot options and then enter safe mode. I tried other keys, but couldn't do it either).
@JohnCrossWayne
I have the same phenomenon with a Dell Ryzen notebook

Inspiron 5405 - stuck/freeze on Dell Boot Logo - Windows 11 - SupportAssist OS Recovery | DELL Technologies

It is not a software error I have gone through all Windows versions, interestingly this does not occur with any Linux distribution, I think it has something to do with Bios / Secureboot / TPM possibly with Ryzen chipset drivers, my notebook has a Ryzen 5 4500u.

Hard disk replacement / RAM replacement / CMOS reset did not help either.

No fault diagnosis from Dell could help, I have just sent the device in, I am curious what the error is here.

Is there anything new for you yet? you can find very little about it on the net so far

Mar 2, 2024
@JohnCrossWayne
I have the same phenomenon with a Dell Ryzen notebook

Inspiron 5405 - stuck/freeze on Dell Boot Logo - Windows 11 - SupportAssist OS Recovery | DELL Technologies

It is not a software error I have gone through all Windows versions, interestingly this does not occur with any Linux distribution, I think it has something to do with Bios / Secureboot / TPM possibly with Ryzen chipset drivers, my notebook has a Ryzen 5 4500u.

Hard disk replacement / RAM replacement / CMOS reset did not help either.

No fault diagnosis from Dell could help, I have just sent the device in, I am curious what the error is here.

Is there anything new for you yet? you can find very little about it on the net so far
Hello, finally I was able to solve it but not in the way I wanted. My technician friend checked my PC and tested the processor on another motherboard where it turned out to work. This only left the option that the motherboard was failing. Specifically, there was some power issue in a transistor that prevented the new processor from turning on in normal mode. Since he couldn't confirm it due to not having the necessary tools, I only had left to consult with Gigabyte support and see what could be done. They told me this:

Dear customer:We appreciate your patience. We have forwarded your case to the engineering department and they indicate that your motherboard has a hardware failure specifically in the VRM modules, as when changing to a processor with different operating characteristics in terms of voltage regulation, it automatically shuts down upon system startup (even if you try to update the BIOS to its latest version).

Unfortunately, we do not have an RMA service center as mentioned earlier (as it has been suspended since June 2023), but we can recommend a trusted repair shop at cost which can help you solve your inconvenience:

Then they gave me the address of a place to take the motherboard, but clearly I wasn't going to do it since it incurred a cost and was located in another distant city. So, I gave up and preferred to buy another motherboard and take the opportunity to upgrade to a more convenient one. However, a friend who had previously lent me his processor in 2020 while he was building his PC in parts (Ryzen 5 3600) told me that if his processor worked on my motherboard (Again GA-A320M-HD2), we could swap them, and that's what we did. I changed the motherboard and it solved the problem.

Reactions: helper800