[SOLVED] Boot Problem, every after replacing EVERY component!

Feb 15, 2020
So, my computer suddenly died, and then it wouldn't turn on again. The fans would spin, and I could hear the hard drives spin, but the cpu fan and one case fan would stop after starting for a second. Then it would shut down and try to start back up, repeating this until I held the power button or switched the psu off in the back.

I tried starting with just one memory stick, no gpu, and no drives, just to see if I could get the "no bootable drive" error, but no go. It did the same thing.

Then I thought maybe the cpu fan died. It was a stock one, and it was second-hand. I got a cheap replacement. No go

I was worried my cpu died/I had been wanting to upgrade, so I got a new cpu/mobo/ram bundle. Didn't work. I then got a new psu. Still didn't work

I also got a new case. It's pretty much a brand new computer, except with my old drives, although I have verified they work on another computer

Still NO GO! Same exact problem. It lights up, some fans spin (not the cpu fan), and then it dies soon after.
I'm pretty confused.

One worry is that the cpu/mobo were killed when I tried it with the old psu.

Original Computer:
CPU: Intel i5-3570k
Mobo: Gigabyte Z77-HD3
Ram: G. Skill F3-1600C9D-16GSR
PSU: Rosewill Capstone-750M
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1070ti
Drives: 1 SSD, 2 HDDs

New Computer:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
MOBO: ASRock X370 Killer
Ram: G. Skill F4-3200C16D-16GVGB
PSU: Corsair CX650M

Last edited:
Solution
Ok, I had to look up what that meant, but it sounds like I'm SOL for now, because I would need to boot to bios to be able to flash bios?

EDIT: Thank you so much by the way, finally I'm not COMPLETELY confused.

Some motherboard with flashback bios function can let you flash the bios without having a CPU installed but your board doesn't have that but yes you need a new motherboard or a CPU that can let you boot to the BIOS.

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

For both the original computer and the rebuild/repaired computer. Include PSUs.

Have you tried another wall outlet? No interim power strips, surge protectors, etc..

Have you tried another known working power cable to PSU?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

Have you tried a new CMOS battery?

Reactions: Aethenosity
Feb 15, 2020
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

For both the original computer and the rebuild/repaired computer. Include PSUs.

Have you tried another wall outlet? No interim power strips, surge protectors, etc..

Have you tried another known working power cable to PSU?

Will the computer boot into Safe Mode?

Have you tried a new CMOS battery?

Ok, I'll add that in a minute.

Yes, I've tried three outlets, including one that currently is powering the other computer (my wife's). Directly in.

I have tried three power cables so far (the original one, the one that came with the new psu, and my wife's)

Won't boot anywhere as far as I can tell. No video output (from the mobo directly, I haven't tried adding my gpu back in since this started).

No, but the new mobo came with it's own, should I consider getting a replacement?

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
CMOS Battery replacement: no harm in doing so - just as a matter of elimination.

However the common factor: "except with my old drives, although I have verified they work on another computer"

Boot with only the boot drive connected.

Completely disconnect and remove the data and power connections as applicable to the other drives. Likely the two HDD's....

If the computer successfully boots then I would suspect a problem with the data and power cables serving the HDD's. Try swapping in some known working data and power cables. One HDD at a time.

Feb 15, 2020
Hmm. My boot drive is the SSD, and I only have that one in my new case, the two HDDs are in the old one still. I have tried booting without ANYTHING connected and still got the same problem though

I'm gonna try using one of the new data cables that came with the case (the power one is already the new cable). I hadn't thought of that!

EDIT: Well, the new data cable didn't work

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2020
I tried swapping the 3rd party fan I got way back when this started (a noctua) with the stock one that came with the ryzen cpu (never used at this point), but that didn't work either. HOWEVER, that fan DOES spin, but I still get no boot, and the computer still stops and restarts

Feb 15, 2020
Ok, I had to look up what that meant, but it sounds like I'm SOL for now, because I would need to boot to bios to be able to flash bios?

Some motherboard with flashback bios function can let you flash the bios without having a CPU installed but your board doesn't have that but yes you need a new motherboard or a CPU that can let you boot to the BIOS.

Solution