Question Boot problem ?

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
My old PC has a sudden problem, started it up but it shut down after 15 seconds and keeps doing it. Did the CMOS battery, now it will stay on but not do anything on start up except, motherboard light on, fans start, nothing else. No speaker beeps.

This is what I have tried/replaced, one at a time:
  • similar motherboard,
  • GPU,
  • new PSU,
  • then dumped GPU and use onboard VGA,
  • 2 different CPU's,
  • removed SSD for an HDD, same problem every time.

The only thing left is the 2x4GB RAM sticks, but I did try using each one alone.

I tested the SSD using a USB thingy and connected it to a laptop, it opened fine. So I am stuck and confused, I cannot test the RAM, am I missing something or new RAM purchase.....?
Specs:
ASUS P5G41T-M LX,
Xeon E5450 3.0Hz,
8GB RAM,
2GB GPU,
550w PSU...?

Last edited:

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
PSU: make, model, wattage (550 noted), age? Condition: original to build, new, refurbished, used?

History of heavy use for gaming or video editing?
I did have, when the problem started, a NUBWO NPS-010 550w, I tested it via the motherboard 24 pin plug, the readings were to me all over the place, 12v wires were showing anywhere from 11.25 to 12.8, 3.3v were 3.8v, so I replaced it with a NUBWO NPS-030 550w, same thing with far less wiring that I don't need.
I don't do the gaming thing, just general forum stuff and the odd YouTube watch. The PC has been fine for years, so a bit confused as to why the problem now, unless the old PSU did some damage, but a similar motherboard has the same result with the new PSU. Wish I could test the RAM sticks somehow.

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
I now have the PC internals out on my desk all connected.
Just done a quick test to see if SDD/HDD is getting power, and also plugged a memory stick into a USB port..
I can feel the HDD is spinning, the memory stick has its light on, the board has its light on, the fan is spinning but no beeps on start up. The CPU is warm, so is getting power....

My old PC has a sudden problem, started it up but it shut down after 15 seconds and keeps doing it. Did the CMOS battery, now it will stay on but not do anything on start up except, motherboard light on, fans start, nothing else. No speaker beeps.

This is what I have tried/replaced, one at a time:
  • similar motherboard,
  • GPU,
  • new PSU,
  • then dumped GPU and use onboard VGA,
  • 2 different CPU's,
  • removed SSD for an HDD, same problem every time.

The only thing left is the 2x4GB RAM sticks, but I did try using each one alone.

I tested the SSD using a USB thingy and connected it to a laptop, it opened fine. So I am stuck and confused, I cannot test the RAM, am I missing something or new RAM purchase.....?
Specs:
ASUS P5G41T-M LX,
Xeon E5450 3.0Hz,
8GB RAM,
2GB GPU,
550w PSU...?
The first diagnostic test is to disconnect all of the drives and see if it boots into bios. The second test if it boots into bios is to boot from a usb containing either the windows installer or a linux distro. If it fails either of these tests then you know its hardware. If it passes both tests then you know its software. You then can determine if you have to reinstall windows since the windows boot function may be damaged.

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
The first diagnostic test is to disconnect all of the drives and see if it boots into bios. The second test if it boots into bios is to boot from a usb containing either the windows installer or a linux distro. If it fails either of these tests then you know its hardware. If it passes both tests then you know its software. You then can determine if you have to reinstall windows since the windows boot function may be damaged.
Failed both, I have my windows on a USB memory stick, it lights up but does nothing.
The only thing left is RAM, board or the BIOS chip is stuffed. After doing a bit of research, I am beginning to think the latter.
I can pick up another board for peanuts here, so think it maybe the way to go before anything else.....

Last edited:
Reactions: dwd999

Transam4558

Commendable
Jul 13, 2021
Fixed, though not straight forward, for me.

I found a s/h replacement motherboard from a PC shop, they kindly sent it with one RAM stick and a CPU, so I connected it up with my mouse, keyboard on the bench with VGA, it worked.....:p

Took their RAM stick out and installed my 2 sticks, still worked, installed my 2GB GPU, it still worked.
Lastly, I installed my own faster CPU, FAIL.....Put their CPU back in, all up and running again.................:ouimaitre:

So it seems, the PSU stuffed 2 of my CPU's and the board.

I found a replacement Xeon E5450 CPU on the Net too, so will be assembling the case in a couple of days when it turns up...

1x new PSU
1x s/h motherboard
1x s/h Xeon E5450 CPU

Total cost in your money, $55.....

:jakebarnssmiley: