Boot time with P4P800-E Deluxe

Scott

Hey all, i just built a box last night, p4p800-e deluxe / p42.8ghz /
512 ram. anyway, when i'm booting, i get past the post screen where
she finds the IDE hard drive / cdrom, after that i get a black screen
with a blinking cursor up in teh upper left corner. After she waits
about 10 - 15 seconds, it continues to the "windows xp" screen where
it's loading. i've gone thru the bios and disabled SATA / Promiss
Raid etc... but still the same. any one know how to fix this?
-S

If there's a network boot option (Boot on LAN?) make sure it's disabled in
BIOS. HTH

formerprof

"Scott" <macneill@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote in message
> Hey all, i just built a box last night, p4p800-e deluxe / p42.8ghz /
> 512 ram. anyway, when i'm booting, i get past the post screen where
> she finds the IDE hard drive / cdrom, after that i get a black screen
> with a blinking cursor up in teh upper left corner. After she waits
> about 10 - 15 seconds, it continues to the "windows xp" screen where
> it's loading. i've gone thru the bios and disabled SATA / Promiss
> Raid etc... but still the same. any one know how to fix this?
> -S

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 1 Sep 2004 06:21:38 -0700, macneill@nbnet.nb.ca (Scott) wrote:

>Hey all, i just built a box last night, p4p800-e deluxe / p42.8ghz /
>512 ram. anyway, when i'm booting, i get past the post screen where
>she finds the IDE hard drive / cdrom, after that i get a black screen
>with a blinking cursor up in teh upper left corner. After she waits
>about 10 - 15 seconds, it continues to the "windows xp" screen where
>it's loading. i've gone thru the bios and disabled SATA / Promiss
>Raid etc... but still the same. any one know how to fix this?
>-S
Is it network configured for DHCP? This can extend the time for boot
if the machine is waiting on a server to assign an IP address. If a
static IP assignment is an option I would try assigning one to
eliminate this as a possible cause.

Regards,

Ender

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

No, i'm using a static IP. For the bios i've disabled the on board lan,
audio, promiss raid, sata. and i still see the same delay. it feels like
it's before the point when windows even starts to load, i figure it's gotta
be something with teh board..

i'll keep digging at it.
-S

"Ender" <enderwiggin3rd@SBhotmail.com> wrote in message
> On 1 Sep 2004 06:21:38 -0700, macneill@nbnet.nb.ca (Scott) wrote:
>
>>Hey all, i just built a box last night, p4p800-e deluxe / p42.8ghz /
>>512 ram. anyway, when i'm booting, i get past the post screen where
>>she finds the IDE hard drive / cdrom, after that i get a black screen
>>with a blinking cursor up in teh upper left corner. After she waits
>>about 10 - 15 seconds, it continues to the "windows xp" screen where
>>it's loading. i've gone thru the bios and disabled SATA / Promiss
>>Raid etc... but still the same. any one know how to fix this?
>>-S
> Is it network configured for DHCP? This can extend the time for boot
> if the machine is waiting on a server to assign an IP address. If a
> static IP assignment is an option I would try assigning one to
> eliminate this as a possible cause.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ender
>
> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
> nothing." Edmund Burke

ender

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

On 1 Sep 2004 06:21:38 -0700, macneill@nbnet.nb.ca (Scott) wrote:

>Hey all, i just built a box last night, p4p800-e deluxe / p42.8ghz /
>512 ram. anyway, when i'm booting, i get past the post screen where
>she finds the IDE hard drive / cdrom, after that i get a black screen
>with a blinking cursor up in teh upper left corner. After she waits
>about 10 - 15 seconds, it continues to the "windows xp" screen where
>it's loading. i've gone thru the bios and disabled SATA / Promiss
>Raid etc... but still the same. any one know how to fix this?
>-S

What PCI cards (if any) do you have installed, and if any, what slots
are they in? It is possible the bios is negotiating resources between
devices that might not be sharing well. The ASUS manual has the
resource map on page 2-15. I had an increase of about 5 seconds in
boot time when I first installed my SB Live card until I moved it to
slot 5. Since Slot 5 shares with slot 1 (which is empty) it seems to
have no sharing issues now and it loads straight through.

Also, since I do not use the firewire ports, I disabled them in the
bios, which gave me slot 4 as an exclusive slot for another device.

You might also try the bios setting that toggles OS PnP to see if
having the bios hand over resource assignments for some devices to XP
makes a difference.

Another boot bothersome item can be any USB devices that are attached
to a port. I have never seen a USB mouse cause this problem, but
things like card readers, camera docking stations, and peripheral
drives can really slow things up.

Hope it is as simple as that!

Scott wrote:
> Hey all, i just built a box last night, p4p800-e deluxe / p42.8ghz /
> 512 ram. anyway, when i'm booting, i get past the post screen where
> she finds the IDE hard drive / cdrom, after that i get a black screen
> with a blinking cursor up in teh upper left corner. After she waits
> about 10 - 15 seconds, it continues to the "windows xp" screen where
> it's loading. i've gone thru the bios and disabled SATA / Promiss
> Raid etc... but still the same. any one know how to fix this?
> -S
Hi,
nothing to worry about. You may get a splash screen instead of the
cursor, but it`s loading.

Niclaas

Scott wrote:
> Hey all, i just built a box last night, p4p800-e deluxe / p42.8ghz /
> 512 ram. anyway, when i'm booting, i get past the post screen where
> she finds the IDE hard drive / cdrom, after that i get a black screen
> with a blinking cursor up in teh upper left corner. After she waits
> about 10 - 15 seconds, it continues to the "windows xp" screen where
> it's loading. i've gone thru the bios and disabled SATA / Promiss
> Raid etc... but still the same. any one know how to fix this?
> -S
Hi,

try the new bios, it`s working fine here.

Niclaas