Windows XP Pro with a single user ID used to boot to the
desktop. Since a recent update, it stops at the welcome
screen. This is a big problem for me because software I
have in the startup folder does not reload after a power
outage.
How can I get Windows to boot to the desktop of the
single user ID that is loaded?
Can Windows be set to boot to a particular user id if
there is more than one installed?

Go here and download TweakUI for XP. One of it's features allow you to
boot right to desktop bypassing
the Login Screen.