Question Boot up problems with my built PC

Jul 7, 2021
Ryzen5 3600x
Gigabyte GTX 970
Asus prime A-520m-A
16GB of T-force Vulcanz ram
700W 80+ bronze

Hey there, I could definitely use some help. Past couple weeks I've been building my PC with the specs above. After finally able to get it to boot up I was able to download the operating system and everything like that. And then after that it would take a couple times for me to boot up to be able to get an image. The PC will boot up with lights and fans running also with the RGB keyboard and mouse lighting up but no image. Also during this time when I would be able to get it to boot up it would bring me to an error page saying my hdb was bad. So I defragged and cleaned up the HDD and was still getting the problem so I completely unplugged it but kept my SSD plugged in and after that I won't get any image. It would take a couple times of me turning it and on and off before I would get an image until a few days ago when I couldn't get any image it was just a black screen that says no signal. All connections are good going from the PC to the monitor. Just yesterday I was able to boot up with image. But now when I boot up I get an orange blinking light on my motherboard. I was able to get image back up and now I continue to get image when I boot up after I switched the ram around but still getting the blinking light. Also my GPU fans now will not run when I start up the PC. Which is a little confusing because I'm getting image and everything but the GPU fans are not running. As I'm writing this I just reset the GPU in it's slot and still the same thing when I boot up. I even took out one of the RAM sticks and still the same. I'm in the process of receiving a new power supply because I'm thinking that might be the problem. I'm going to update BIOS and run ez flash while I'm at it. What does everyone think. Sorry if that was confusing haha

" So I defragged and cleaned up the HDD and was still getting the problem so I completely unplugged it but kept my SSD plugged in and after that I won't get any image. "

Which drive is the OS on?
Did you do a clean install of the OS?
If yes...what drives were in the machine when you did this?

Jul 7, 2021
" So I defragged and cleaned up the HDD and was still getting the problem so I completely unplugged it but kept my SSD plugged in and after that I won't get any image. "

So now when I boot up and get an image it brings me right to download Windows because I have the USB flash drive plugged in with just the SSD. So I'm able to download it on SSD but I haven't just yet because I don't understand why my GPU fans aren't running and I'm getting a slow fading light on my motherboard

Jul 7, 2021

I didn't do a clean install. When I originally installed Windows it was on the HDD because the SSD wasn't coming up. So I had to go in and activate SSD afterwards. And now I just have the SSD plugged in with the USB flash drive that has Windows

Jul 7, 2021
If you can get display output enough to install Windows to one drive connected to the PC only.....do that.
Alright I will. I'm able to get into BIOS and everything as well should I update my BIOS and do ez flash as well before I install the windows or just install the windows first and then see what everything does afterwards. I'm just nervous with the blinking light on the motherboard and the GPU fans not working I don't want to mess anything else up

Jul 7, 2021
Don't update your BIOS.
The one you have should work.
Make sure just one drive is connected when you do this.
I'd use the SSD.
If you install to the SSD....the HDD should be disconnected from the PC when you do the install.
If you are installing Windows from a USB stick you need to set the BIOS to boot from the USB stick.
So early this morning it was bringinb me right into the windows download page. Now it keeps bringing me into BIOS like I said I went into the boot section and it's not letting me override or boot up from anything. I'm not able to select it and I don't even see where it says the boot from USB. I also went into BIOS and I now figure out what that breathing orange light was it was an audio LED light. Now the light is solid. When I hit the power on switch on the PSU the motherboard will light up with that orange light as well I'm guessing saying that there's power.

Jul 7, 2021
If you are installing Windows from a USB stick you need to set the BIOS to boot from the USB stick.
So I was able to get to the Windows setup page to install now it is not letting me install Windows on my SSD because it is saying that the disk has a MBR partition table and windows can only be installed to gPT disk. To be able to change that wilI have to plug in my HDD back in that has the windows on that to be able to go in and change the SSD disk

Jul 7, 2021
So I was able to get to the Windows setup page to install now it is not letting me install Windows on my SSD because it is saying that the disk has a MBR partition table and windows can only be installed to gPT disk. To be able to change that wilI have to plug in my HDD back in that has the windows on that to be able to go in and change the SSD disk
So I connected my hhd back which had Windows already installed on it. Booted up and now I'm in to my computer. I'm going to convert the SSD from an MBR to a Gpt desk so I'm able to redownload windows on the SSD. But I am still confused why my GPU fans are not running.

So I connected my hhd back which had Windows already installed on it. Booted up and now I'm in to my computer. I'm going to convert the SSD from an MBR to a Gpt desk so I'm able to redownload windows on the SSD. But I am still confused why my GPU fans are not running.
At this point.....I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Get a clean install on the SSD....without the HDD attached while you are doing the install....and then try to boot it up without the HDD attached.

Then go from there. It may not be an issue.

Jul 7, 2021
At this point.....I wouldn't be concerned about that.

Get a clean install on the SSD....without the HDD attached while you are doing the install....and then try to boot it up without the HDD attached.

Then go from there. It may not be an issue.
Installing Windows on the SSD now without the HDD connected. I'll go through the whole boot process and then go from there. I appreciate it

Jul 7, 2021
You're welcome.
If there are still issues...we look at them then.
We need to get a clean install on there.
An old install can cause all sorts of problems.
Alright windows is fully installed and everything. On the top of my case where the soft power button is I have the blue light saying that it's on and next to it is a battery light and that going from flashing to solid red back to flashing . My GPU fans are still not running

Jul 7, 2021
What happens when you try and boot?
I just read the fans on a 970 don't spin when it's cold.
I'll restart it now and yeah I was just reading that as well. I hope I didn't just spend all this time freaking out that the fans weren't working when they don't come on until the GPU gets warm. And now that late on top of the case is just a very slow flashing and it'll go away and then come back after a while. Do you think I should still get my PsU that is coming tomorrow and install that one just to be safe? It's a higher watt

Jul 7, 2021
I'll restart it now and yeah I was just reading that as well. I hope I didn't just spend all this time freaking out that the fans weren't working when they don't come on until the GPU gets warm. And now that late on top of the case is just a very slow flashing and it'll go away and then come back after a while. Do you think I should still get my PsU that is coming tomorrow and install that one just to be safe? It's a higher watt
I rebooted and it booted up just fine. The fans are still off which is making me believe even more now that yes they don't come on until the GPU gets warm. That's just these working fine much smoother and better. Earlier I also moved the ram around. So I am thinking that it was a ram prom and the HDD problem. SSD is working just fine Windows is running nice and smooth. Just with everything that was happening it made me believe that it was a power supply issue and that's why I went and bought a new one. I I think I'm going to still go ahead with the new PSU and plug all that in then I won't have any doubts

Here's a reply I found regarding Raidmax on this website from someone with a lot of experience.

"Wouldn't touch a Raidmax PSU. They are low quality and have a bad reputation for a reason. The PSU is a crucial component and a bad place to skimp on quality. A system with a i5 7500 and a GTX 1060 can easily and reliably run on a good 450w PSU. I'd take a high quality 450w unit over a low quality 700w unit for those specs any day. "

What PSU did you buy?

...and what is this light on top of the case?

I rebooted and it booted up just fine. The fans are still off which is making me believe even more now that yes they don't come on until the GPU gets warm. That's just these working fine much smoother and better. Earlier I also moved the ram around. So I am thinking that it was a ram prom and the HDD problem. SSD is working just fine Windows is running nice and smooth. Just with everything that was happening it made me believe that it was a power supply issue and that's why I went and bought a new one. I I think I'm going to still go ahead with the new PSU and plug all that in then I won't have any doubts
So all is good?
Although I'm still curious about that light.

Jul 7, 2021
So all is good?
Although I'm still curious about that light.
Now that it is on the new SSD it seems to be running a lot better and more smoother. The red light on top of the case still flashes every once in awhile but not like it was during the Windows install process. I looked it up again and I guess it's okay for that to be flashingz doesn't really mean too much. But I think I'm still going to stick with the new power supply. I apologize for the confusion but I really do appreciate it. I've been working on this for weeks and it's been a real headache. In the meantime I'm going to keep rebooting and turning on and off a couple more times just to be safe and make sure that it is still running properly