[SOLVED] Boot up.

orbitboi

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi.
Hope this is the right section to post in. I have build my first computer which has nothing on it. I have downloaded windows 10 but when it boots up it says... HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GH 10L & Samsung 970 evo plus. Do I need to download my disk first (came with motherboard) GIGABYTE Z270-HD3 cause it has to boot somewhere but was told not to download anything except windows first. Help

Solution
you don't need to get a new flash drive, you just need to redo the flash drive using the media creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

And if arrow keys aren't changing selection options in boot menu, then try using mouse if it's available, otherwise, try plugging your keyboard into a different USB port.

Try ports on the motherboard and not the front panel of the case.

If you do get that to work, then go through the process in the guide I linked in my previous post.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
I'll be honest and say I don't know what you're saying at all.

Are you not able to boot into Windows after having installed it?
Is that what you're saying?

Also, you can't download a disk.
A disk is a storage device such as an SSD, HDD, or flash drive, it's not digital, therefore it cannot be "downloaded".

If you are referring to installing items contained within a "disc" which is like a CD or DVD that came with the motherboard, no. Don't install anything from that as it's outdated now. All the software that would be on that CD is updated and available to download from the support page of your motherboard online.

How did you install Windows onto your system?
What method did you use?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
as stated, go into the BIOS and make sure you have things set to UEFI.

After that, you should see the flash drive as bootable (assuming you made the drive proper).

You can refer to this guide for making a bootable drive and installing Windows.

The disc what came with Mobo are the drivers, you install that AFTER you have successfully installed Windows.

Download Windows... OK now that Windows needs to be in a bootable Flash. Download may include instructions, it may not. Once done correct, u boot with Flash and BAM! Windows Installation screen appears.

Above link should have everything.

orbitboi

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Hi.
Yes its in my BIOS/EUFI I have to change. Have downloaded win 10 prp to stick turn on & press f12. 4 options came up one was my samsung evo 970 ssd one was HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GH 10L & two usb. Have try all byt stil no go so back into my bios & make sure it's not under legacy.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Hi.
Yes its in my BIOS/EUFI I have to change. Have downloaded win 10 prp to stick turn on & press f12. 4 options came up one was my samsung evo 970 ssd one was HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GH 10L & two usb. Have try all byt stil no go so back into my bios & make sure it's not under legacy.
No need. Now that you see the USB options you are in UEFI mode.

For the two USB options you should see them kind of like this:

One of them will just simply say USB 2.0 and the other should say UEFI USB 2.0 something or other.

You want to select the UEFI one.

Once selected, wait up to a minute for it to load into the installer.

If you don't get loaded into the installer, or get any errors, or it just reboots without loading into the USB, then the content might be corrupted and you need to remake the USB drive.

If you remake the USB drive and it still doesn't work, then I'll have one more thing for you to do, but only if it doesn't work after this.

orbitboi

Reputable
Apr 14, 2019
Thanks. Its a brand new USB but might get a new one. I cant move it up or down. It wont move out of the HL-DT-ST DVD ROM GH 10L
UEFI SMI USB DISK 1100 Partition 1
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS
SMI USB DISK 1100
These are the 4 options it gives me.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
you don't need to get a new flash drive, you just need to redo the flash drive using the media creation tool.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

And if arrow keys aren't changing selection options in boot menu, then try using mouse if it's available, otherwise, try plugging your keyboard into a different USB port.

Try ports on the motherboard and not the front panel of the case.

If you do get that to work, then go through the process in the guide I linked in my previous post.

Solution