Question boot with high CUP temp, with low usage in cold weather

Nov 8, 2022
hi guys, here to try to find an answer to an issue i've been having for quite some time hoping someone will have the right intuition.

I keep my PC in a sort of front enclosed porch that can get a bit cold overnight in the winter. Nothing too crazy, i would say temps can go down to maybe 14/15° C (59° F). When i boot my pc in the morning, CPU goes straight to 100° C (MAX), CPU usage remains super low (as it should, no programs are launched), GPU usage and temp remain low (as they should too). Obvs heavy throttling kicks in and CPU fans run high. Check out the snapshot, it literally explains it all https://postimg.cc/cKNLZZgV

Now a few considerations:
- I've had this issue for a while now. It goes away in 2 ways: 1) i leave the PC idle and running and after some time (5 to 10 mins) temp goes back to normal. I can then start using the PC normally and issue doesn't come back even if i play for hours, meaning it's not a cooling problem; 2) if after 10 mins temps are still high, i have to shut down the computer leave it to rest 15/20 mins and then reboot it. All is fine then.

- I am pretty certain temp reading is incorrect, a temp this high can't be reached in a few seconds (literally boot time), plus there would be some signs of high temps (PC would start spitting out warm air and case would start feeling a bit warmer). No, all stays fresh (cold i would say)

- As i mentioned this only happens during cold months, when PC is left overnight in a colder environment.

- I have tried reistalling drivers, repasting , cleaning fans. I am really stuck and litereally can't find anything online that seems to be similar to my issue.

Obviously this thing is triggered by the cold temperature of the hardware at startup, but what exactly is triggering this behaviour? any ideas on how to fix it? (a part from moving it to another room)

Here my specs:
OS Name Microsoft Windows 11 Home
Version 10.0.22621 Build 22621
System Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
System Model Z390 AORUS PRO
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU Default string
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-9900K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 3600 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Adapter Type NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, NVIDIA compatible

Please help!
thanks so much!

JWNoctis

Respectable
Jun 9, 2021
Move your PC inside your room if you shut it down at all; Even an enclosed porch might get dewy or even frosty which won't do it any favour. Wildlife you won't otherwise find or welcome might also nest inside, even if you keep it on.

Cold temperature might not be playing well with your heatsink's cooling fan, or watercooling pump, if any. Jammed until warmed up, maybe.

The heat pipes in the typical CPU heatsink might also freeze below 0 degC, if it gets that cold. Frozen heat pipe is not a better good heat conductor than plain thin copper tubing.