Booting an OS from a USB Thumb/Flash Drive form the MSI X99 motherboard

Ragahv

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2012
I want some help in creating a bootable external flash drive or hard drive. I use the MSI version of the X99 motherboard and i have heard that in order to boot from the external hard disk drive, the BIOS and motherboard MUST have a feature called: ACHI. Basically this feature enables the user to boot from an external hard drive. So since the motherboard has ACHI, do you think i can boot an windows 7 Retail disc from the dvd drive and when the section " Choose a hard drive to install on" comes on, i can select my external hard drive?

I once tried this on my hp pavilion laptop but when i started up the retail windows 7 disc i got a message saying " windows cannot install the OS on this hard drive because it is NOT compatable".
I search in forums and people told me that my laptop: dv6 6145tx supports ACHI but still with no luck i could not get windows to install on my external hard drive.

So please can you help me do this on any pc without ACHI or does it have to have ACHI in order for a bootable windows to be installed from a install retail disc onto a external flash drive
?

Thanks,.

Solution
Restart your computer and wait for that first screen to pop up. Often, it'll say something like "Press F12 to Choose Boot Device" somewhere on the screen. Press that key now. Watch for Press any key to boot from external device... message.
Give it a moment to continue booting, and you should see a menu pop up with a list of choices on it. Highlight your CD or USB drive and press Enter.

Restart your computer and watch for the first screen that shows up when you boot. You should see something that says "Press DEL to enter setup," or something similar. Press the noted key on your keyboard and wait for setup to start.
How to Boot From a CD or USB Drive on Any PC
You should see a new screen pop up, called your BIOS. This is where you set a...

Cazauxx

Reputable
Jul 10, 2015
Restart your computer and wait for that first screen to pop up. Often, it'll say something like "Press F12 to Choose Boot Device" somewhere on the screen. Press that key now. Watch for Press any key to boot from external device... message.
Give it a moment to continue booting, and you should see a menu pop up with a list of choices on it. Highlight your CD or USB drive and press Enter.

Restart your computer and watch for the first screen that shows up when you boot. You should see something that says "Press DEL to enter setup," or something similar. Press the noted key on your keyboard and wait for setup to start.
How to Boot From a CD or USB Drive on Any PC
You should see a new screen pop up, called your BIOS. This is where you set a lot of low-level settings for your computer. Look through the options (being careful not to change anything) for a setting called "Boot Device," "Boot Order," or something similar. Select that option.
From the menu that pops up, choose your computer's disc drive and press Enter. If you're trying to boot from a USB drive, choose USB-HDD instead and press Enter. Depending on your BIOS, you may need to use the Page Up and Page Down keys to move your selection to the top of a list, instead.
Exit out of your BIOS, saving your changes. Usually, this option is under "Exit" on the main menu, or available via a keyboard shortcut listed somewhere on your screen.
Your computer should reboot. Make sure your CD or USB drive is in your computer. If you're prompted to "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD," do so. Your computer should boot into the CD or USB drive instead of your normal operating system.

Hope this helps :)

Solution