Booting windows 10 from usb

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
This must be simple. I have a bootable usb drive. When I set the bios to prioritize the usb drive and boot the PC, it starts booting normally then takes me to windows 10 setup which I don't want to install because it is already installed in the hard drive. I just want to boot the pc from the usb drive. How do I boot windows 10 from the usb drive?

USAFRet

Titan

You have the installer on the USB, not the actual installed OS.

What are you actually trying to do?

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Well, I'm trying to boot the computer via the usb. I need to update my BIOS and my manufacturer(PEGATRON) told me to boot the pc with a bootable usb then run the app they sent me...

How do I install the OS to the usb? First I did the command prompt process(diskpart stuff) then I used the media creation tool provided my microsoft on their website. It downloaded windows 10 to the usb.

USAFRet

Titan

OK...that is a whole different thing.
You're not trying to boot the Windows OS from USB.
You probably want to create the bootable USB with whatever functionality they gave you.

Do you have a link to some instructions for this?

USAFRet

Titan

You do not want to do this.

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Good god this confusing... I was told via email so no "clear" instructions unfortunately. I contacted the manufacturer and told them I needed to update my BIOS. The guy on the other end sent me the BIOS update itself and told me to "start the product (I think he refers to the computer) using a Bootable Flash ( i guess this is the usb we are talking about) then run the update.bat ( this is the update they sent me)

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

My rx 480 is currently incompatible with the mobo. Mobo is Pegatron IPM6X-GS. It was a prebuilt pc. But I've modified it a few times so far. I need to update the bios and see if it works then. CPU is a 2600k.

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

I didn't install the driver for it. I couldn't because the PC didn't boot with rx 480 installed. It doesn't matter if I install the driver first then install the card itself. It must still boot up normally. GPU doesn't send any signal to the monitor just black screen. Of course I switched the cable to RX 480 what the hell?

USAFRet

Titan
I've seen people here make that same basic mistake...not having the cable connected to the correct output.

Anyway...
A BIOS update should only be done if that particular update addresses the exact issue you are facing.

Who exactly were you emailing with? I believe Pegatron stopped making motherboards long ago.

So the system boots without that GPU, but not with it?

USAFRet

Titan
To create a bootable USB:

Download and run Rufus. Here: https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Put your USB in, and run Rufus with these settings
CY8vjn5.jpg

Copy that .bat file they sent you (assuming it is from a trustable source)
Boot from that USB and see what happens.

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
There are folders related to windows 10 OS inside the USB. Should I just delete them before the Rufus process? And what do I do after copying that .bat file? In fact, they sent me a .rar file. Inside it there is a .bat a .exe and a .rom.

USAFRet

Titan

Running Rufus will wipe that USB for you. It even warns you of this.
After...

Power off
Boot up from that USB
Navigate to where, on that USB, you saved the .bat file
Run it.

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

I did everything you said. Pc booted normally.. Then i went to the usb then ran the .bat file.. it errored, said it was not compatible with 64 bit OS. I will contact the manufacturer about this issue. Even though I selected the USB from Bios and booted it up nothing was different than before. I'm not sure if this is normal but I wouldn't be able to tell a difference between a normal boot and a flash drive boot. When I got to desktop everything was the same thus I also ran the .bat file in the desktop. Result was the same.

The important thing here is that if I managed to boot the PC from the flash drive.

USAFRet

Titan

The PC booting normally is NOT what you want.
It needs to boot from the USB, not Windows.

You need to get into the BIOS, and change the boot sequence. Boot from the USB first, not the hard drive.

Assuming it boots from the USB, you will be presented with a command line looking screen.
NOT Windows.

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

That's what I did. I went to boot priority settings. Set the first priority to USB. Save and exit. Then it booted windows. What went wrong here?

USAFRet

Titan

Then something is weird in the BIOS, or the USB was not created correctly.

Power off.
Disconnect ALL hard drives in the system
Try to boot again, and see what happens.

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Damn.. I'm getting nervous. I'm doing the disconnecting hard drives process right now....

yavuz650

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013

Okay now i have something like a command prompt. It says freeCom, freeDos.... but when i type the folder's name it say bad file name.. i tried F, H, D they were all invalid drives.

USAFRet

Titan

So, we're [strike]not[/strike] now booting correctly from the USB. Good.
Where, exactly, did you put that update.bat?

All those drive letters are temp invalid. It is almost certainly the C drive you're looking for.