BOOTMGR Missing Error... And That's Just The Beginning. Help Please!

ampreston85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013
Alright, so this issue will come with a fair amount of information. I have spend the last 48 hours trying to rectify, or even properly identify the issue, and am still have not come to any solid conclusion. First, my build is custom, and includes a Corsair TX750V2 Bronze PSU, Asus Maximus VI Hero Motherboard, Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600MHZ (Cas 10) RAM, Asus HD7770-2GD5, Corsair Neutron GTX 120GB SSD, and a couple other Seagate 320GB HDD's. I'm running Windows 7 Professional x64

So here it goes.
I recently purchased a Samsung Evo 850 250GB SSD. Received it a few days ago, and began the install process on Thursday evening. Removed the case panels, and realized first, that I needed to undo the order in which I have each HDD connected to the power strip (the extra sata power connector was at the beginning of the PSU wire, and I needed it at the end) So I unplugged all the HDD's, and replugged them so that the extra sata power connector was at the end where I would be installing my new Samsung SSD. I plugged in the power connector, and Sata cable securely, and booted up. Here is where the trouble began. I began getting the error "BOOTMGR MISSING PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART" From here I searched and tried everything to fix this, including recovery, bootrec commands, removing the new Samsung SSD, and even reconnecting the sata power cables into their original positions, all to no avail. The Corsair SSD was now intermittently not even showing up in the boot menu.

Then I installed the new Samsung SSD again using the same process I used before, so I could access the Corsair SSD and copy the files I needed. Windows installed fine, but copying my files was hit/miss. The drive would show up, then disappear. I would unplug it and plug it back in several times, and randomly it would show up again. This continued while attempting to copy files. Eventually I was able to get it to stay populated long enough to copy the files I needed, but even this was a long process as the data xfer was no more than 4mb/s.

Once complete, I tried reseating the sata cables and even moving their orders. Nothing worked. So I continued installing drivers for the OS that was now on the Samsung SSD. Everything went fine, until I began playing Counter Strike GO. The game was choppy, freezing every 15-30 seconds causing the audio to repeat. Each freeze would last maybe 1-2 seconds, and then I began receiving bluescreens. I attempted to reinstall the video drivers, powered down and made sure cables and video card were seated securely, and nothing worked. I can upload the bluescreen if needed.

Subsequently I reinstalled Windows 2 more times and still had the same issue, and on the third try, I decided to reconnect my older Corsair SSD and BAM! It's showing up properly! I partitioned the new Samsung SSD, windows installed properly on the Corsair SSD, and I was on my way. Installed everything (drivers, software, windows updates, etc) and then formatted my new Samsung SSD. I installed my Steam Library on the new Samsung because that was it's original intention -- to store all my games on. I load up CS:GO again, and same freezing issue. Then I power down, and try connecting the new Samsung SSD to a different Sata cable and port, power on, and I'm back to square one -- "MISSING BOOTMGR PRESS CTRL-ALT-DEL TO RESTART"

Now I've completely unplugged all drives, reconnected them, REMOVED the new Samsung SSD completely, installed windows successfully on my original Corsair SSD, and am in the process of installing everything the way it was set up prior to purchasing the new Samsung SSD. I'm installing the remaining windows updates, and the game now, and will report back if the graphics performance continues with the freezing issue, but at this point, I don't even know what is causing the problem. I just completed a bios update, thinking maybe there is a compatibility issue or something. I will report back with my video performance once I've installed the game and tested it, but decided to post this now so I can get a head start. I don't know if it's a sata controller issue, cable issue, motherboard issue, or if the new Samsung SSD isn't playing nice with the other kids at the playground =( and if I get everything working properly again, I'm even afraid to test my bios theory by plugging the new Samsung SSD in, for fear of being set back to square one.

Your thoughts and help are greatly appreciated.

ampreston85

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2013

So I have already tried that. That doesn't help me anyway, because these troubles all started when I connected the new SSD. 2 days later, I gave up, reconnected everything back to the way it was, and bam, everything works. Windows installed on my old SSD no problem and everything is back to normal. I updated my Bios after all that, and am curious if that may have been the issue, or if the SSD needs replaced (which I already sent for replacement), but I'm almost too annoyed to connect it again for fear of going through all this trouble again hahahha.