[SOLVED] Both ctrl keys stopped working

warregeeroms

Reputable
May 21, 2017
Hello all,

Both the ctrl keys on my laptop keyboard stopped working. I have both ubuntu and windows installed, and they work in neither of the two. Windows is a fresh install, installed after the keys broke, which makes me think it is not a software issue.
On ubuntu, I also tried using the 'xev' command, but here the ctrl key does not show any output.
I also tried removing the key and blowing it out with compressed air, which didn't help either.
To me this sounds a lot like there is a hardware problem, but I find it weird that both ctrl keys are broken simultaneously. Could anybody advise me anything else to try? Or should I just accept that my ctrl keys are broken?

Thanks in advance!

Solution
Normally, running another OS on PC to see if it happens is a test to see if it is hardware, and yours looks like it is. I can't think of a 3rd OS to run that would show its the other 2 but I find that unlikely.

It is rather strange they both die at same time.

can you remap the command to another key?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-do-i-reassign-hot-keys-for-my-keyboard-703f897c-ad72-db5d-8e64-0928873d712f#:~:text=To reassign a key&text=Connect the keyboard that you,to reassign, select a command.

what model? might be a way to reset keys, fn combo, I don't know

Colif

Win 11 Master
Normally, running another OS on PC to see if it happens is a test to see if it is hardware, and yours looks like it is. I can't think of a 3rd OS to run that would show its the other 2 but I find that unlikely.

It is rather strange they both die at same time.

can you remap the command to another key?
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/how-do-i-reassign-hot-keys-for-my-keyboard-703f897c-ad72-db5d-8e64-0928873d712f#:~:text=To reassign a key&text=Connect the keyboard that you,to reassign, select a command.

what model? might be a way to reset keys, fn combo, I don't know

Last edited:
Solution

warregeeroms

Reputable
May 21, 2017
Thank you for your reply!
My laptop is an ASUS UX330U. I had not thought about remapping the command to another key, in ubuntu it was quite easy to map the ctrl command to the left windows key, which I rarely use. So this kinda fixes my problem! Thanks alot.