bottleneck or bad graphics card?

csx447

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
So i bought a new graphics card and im getting really low performance (even in somewhat old games like fallout new vegas). I have monitored my graphics card usage and i never seen it above 38% ever, not even in games like gta 5. Also i tried overclocking it with Catalyst control center and that just made the card crash ( even very little overclocking ).
my pc:
Radeon R9 270x directCu 2 top
athlon 2 x4 631 quad core
8 gigs of kingston ram

also sorry for my grammar mistakes if i made any, my english is not great

Solution
You are likely very cpu limited.
It is not strong enough to feed even your entry level R7-270X.
If you can overclock the cpu, that may help.

To test:
Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.
You are likely very cpu limited.
It is not strong enough to feed even your entry level R7-270X.
If you can overclock the cpu, that may help.

To test:
Run your games, but lower your resolution and eye candy.
If your FPS stays the same, you are likely cpu limited.

Solution

csx447

Reputable
Jun 24, 2015
i have already tried overclocking my cpu and that didnt help, also in fallout pretty mutch what ever resolution i was playing and whatever graphics options(AA, filtering etc.) my fps stayed around the same so you might be right, im gonna check some other games. but wha about that other thing, about overclocking the card crashes it? thx for the answers btw :3

The ability to overclock a graphics card depends on the quality of the graphics chip.
Vendors are wise to this and bin their chips.
They select the best chips for use in their factory overclocked cards that can sell for a premium.

Sometimes you get lucky and can OC nicely, sometimes not.

One other possibility is that your power supply is not up to delivering the extra power that is needed for overclocking.
What make/model is your psu?

Chieftec is a poor quality I would replace it ASAP.
It will not have the protective circuitry to keep from damaging all your parts if it fails under load.
It also may not be delivering advertised power.
Pick something like Seasonic, XFX, Antec.

If you need a cpu upgrade, Intel and a lga1150 motherboard is the way to go for gaming.