Bottlenecked?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ciraxis

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
hey nice one for the fast reply, and cheers for the help and info i learnt alot in this past few days, this forum is awesome!

Ciraxis

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
hmm i got another q :) is it possible for me to overclock my fan? i downloaded Speedfan but i want my fan to go over 2500 rpm, is this possible?

Ciraxis

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
right looks like my fan is always going at max speed anyway, because alot of fans ive looked at go 2500 max rpm anyway so its working hard constantly, this P4 must be one inefficient beast, the paste atm is the one that came with the heatsink which im guessing is nowhere near as good as the artic stuff?

i saw mentioned that if the fan is plugged into the psu (which mine is) you can up the voltage on it and itll speed up, will this overclock it in effect or am i impatiently clutching at straws?

Ciraxis

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
I think ill just wait to buy some arctic cooling paste, im sure its alot better than the stuff that came with the heatsink and i read that bad quality stuff degrades over time whereas the AC hardens and lasts up to 8 years, ive had some bad paste sitting there for good part of 4 years now so looks like the time has come :)

SEALBoy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
Holy crap, those Delta fans push 225cfm... but at 65dB, a tornado is less loud. I think I'll stick with the AeroCool 89cfm fan I was getting for my Ultra 120 Extreme... it's around 35dB

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
right ok got it, may aswell go all out just to hammer down that temp, cheers
Before you go out and spend a bunch of money on a new heatsink and fan, have you tried cleaning the existing heatsink out with compressed air? I had a P4 3.2 (Northwood, not quite as inefficient as the Presc-hot) and the temps would rise about 10 degrees when the heatsink would get full of dust.

Also, I wouldn't spend a lot of money (>$50US, ~25 pounds) on a nice heatsink for that system, unless you are buying a heatsink to use on a future system. I say that because it doesn't make sense if you're getting too close to the price to just switch to a new cooler running, more powerful mobo/processor combo then (about $175US for an E4300 and ASRock Dual-VSTA, which supports your existing DDR-400 RAM, and has AGP as well as PCIe graphics).

Ciraxis

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
yeah fair point there, it seems my HSF is more clogged than i thought, hell theres slabs of dust in here....also the thermal paste is rock hard and it took my serious effort to pry the cpu off the HSF, using another one now from another PC and the temp is now 37 at idle when yesterday it was 50 at idle.

Nice one thanks

Ciraxis

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2006
have to say the fps doesnt drop anymore, i was freaked out though when i removed the HSF, the thermal paste was cementing the cpu to the heatsink and went to dust when i pried it off and when i put it back on the cpu temp went up to 90 degrees now i got a temp HSF while i wait for one in the post.

But to conclude, yeah it was that thermal throttling threshold that it kept hitting at around 70, now it maxes at about 60, hopefully lower when i apply the arctic stuff, cheers for the help though:)