[SOLVED] Bottlenecking because of CPU

Alex mench

Honorable
Dec 17, 2015
So I just recently got Kingdom Come: Deliverance, and noticed that with my 1050ti, I'm only getting around 45-50 fps in Slavitz. I searched online and ended up finding that I was bottlenecking because of my CPU. When I opened task manager during the game my CPU usage was at 100% while my GPU usage was only 30%. I currently have an AMD A10-6700 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics (4 CPUs). Base clock speed of 3.7GHz. I thought this was good but apparently not. I'm not sure if there's a way to either use more of my GPU or less of my CPU. I tried overclocking but AMD's ryzen master is for the later generations and AMD's Overdrive is discontinued. And although I am asking for a work-a-round at the moment, what makes a good CPU, as well as, what are suggestions for new CPUs, as apparently, I'm not so sure what makes a CPU good or not.

Solution
Not really...staying with ddr3 will mean spending money on older tech.

For around 300 $ US you could grab a Ryzen 2600, a b450 board, and 16 gigs of ddr4...and you'd even have an upgrade path for a few years.
You can push more of the load onto your GPU by turning the graphics settings up to high or ultra...that should force the GPU to do more of the work. Unfortunately the reality is a 7 year old relatively weak when it was new quad core isn't going to be able to handle demanding games. You can try BIOS over clocking but the results will depend entirely on your motherboards over clocking ability and even then you'll only get very modest gains with that CPU.

Alex mench

Honorable
Dec 17, 2015
One of AMD's older A4/A6 etc series of APU CPUs will definitely leave one wishing they had more IPC when it comes to games...

Might be time to start pricing a newer R5-3600- based/ DDR4 rig, IMO...
are there any good ddr3 options. I believe my motherboard is only compatible with ddr3 so going to 4 I believe will mean replacing my motherboard and ram. I'm not too certain all of what I said makes sense though.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If you're in the US, I'd even suggest going with the Ryzen 1600 AF - at $85, plus a motherobard and RAM (and probably a new PSU, I doubt the old one in the pre-fab system is worthwhile anymore), you'll have far better performance than currently.

For example:

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: ASRock B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($74.98 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($72.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Custom: Ryzen 5 1600 AF 12nm stepping ($85.00)
Total: $322.95
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-02-25 17:35 EST-0500

You can push more of the load onto your GPU by turning the graphics settings up to high or ultra...that should force the GPU to do more of the work. Unfortunately the reality is a 7 year old relatively weak when it was new quad core isn't going to be able to handle demanding games. You can try BIOS over clocking but the results will depend entirely on your motherboards over clocking ability and even then you'll only get very modest gains with that CPU.
The GPU can handle more graphics but the CPU can't handle more fps. The load doesn't really shift. People believe that but really it's more like an attempt to balance things. If you get a crappy FPS on low settings you still get the same fps but prettier graphics if you turn up the settings. You can use more of your held back GPU but that CPU is stretched thin already. If you could shift the load off of the CPU and onto the GPU then a CPU upgrade wouldn't be as necessary.

"The GPU can handle more graphics but the CPU can't handle more fps. The load doesn't really shift. "

In some cases...in others where the balance is only slightly more on the cpu moving the load onto the gpu will in fact help, but not fix, the situation. I have a buddy who was maxed out on his quad core playing CoD MW to the point that Discord was skipping...moving his gpu settings to high took enough load off the cpu to smooth out Discord a bit. It's not a cure for the real issue of needing to upgrade but in some cases it helps a bit.