Question Bottom half of laptop screen unresponsive at 60Hz and black background (even in BIOS)

Jun 30, 2023
I have an HP Omen (15-en0001ax) which i had bought on the december of 2020. A week ago, I noticed that whenever I hovered above an icon on the taskbar (i'm using windows 10), i was gettting horizontal lines and glitches in the middle of the screen. I thought it was some weird software issue, but then after an hour of continuous usage, The part below the horizontal lines became unresponsive, and would only respond if my cursor was in the bottom half. I restarted the system, and i couldn't see the omen logo properly (that's where the horizontal lines were), and now i can't use the laptop in dark mode. I know its not a problem with the display panel because the laptop is usable in 40Hz and when there is a lot of light colors on the screen (which is pretty weird). I connected to external display, no issues. I uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, still the same. Issue occurs during boot and in BIOS.

From my observations, i conclude that the bottom half of the display is getting refreshed only when there is something white on the bottom half of the screen. What must be the issue in here? Do i have to replace the display or is it just an issue with the cable?

PS. It is not always the case. Sometimes the display works properly in 60Hz, but when it doesn't, its really annoying.

Thank you.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You might want to see if the laptop is pending any BIOS updates. As for the laptop's display, it might very well be a faulty display, since you don't have an issue with an external display. Is your laptop under warranty? Did you use DDU to remove all GPU drivers, then manually installing the latest drivers in an elevated command?