[SOLVED] Bought a 'budget' PC on facebook for 250$

Aug 7, 2020
it came with some junk nvidia gpu, but, on the side came with a xfx r7900 series ghost gpu radeon 7970 I would like to know if it is even compatible with the RG maximus IV gene z gen 3 mother board. it also has i7 2600k cpu. 8gb ram. ive been searching for answers but i cant find them maybe somebody can give me some insight. also a friend gave me a GeForce GTX 1050ti would that be better maybe? the 7970 requires power source i may need to upgrade and the gtx does not ? HELP?

Solution
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3F...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020122-na
this is about the cheapest unit I would suggest for a 300W card.

some 450W units are only 250 on the 12V rail (the part that matters most) and 200w on the 3.3 and 5V rails, if this is the case it will be reboot city.

PSUs age, an older 500W unit may only be able to provide 425W after 5 years. age, actual 12V wattage, and initial build quality all play a part.

I am running a EVGA GD 600 2019 model FYI
Aug 7, 2020
Welcome to the forums :D

In the order asked.
it is compatible.
for the general idea
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-HD-7970/3649vs2163
the 7970 is a hungry card and a decent PSU would be needed to power it. the gt 1050ti draws all the power from the PCIe slot.
THANK YOU! now would you suggest i do the neccesarry PSU upgrade to run the 7970 or will the gtx suffice, id like to try to run some games like COD/PUBG/Dark souls so on other FPS and other RPGs like skyrim. Any input on that?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
can you afford a new PSU?
I would suggest going with the strongest card you can, in this case the 7970 (I have the 7950 right now).
not all PSUs are created equally so suggesting an upgrade would depend on the budget and the supply of supplies in your area, so I left that to you.

the cards look different but under the clothes they are the same device within degrees as I said it was for the general idea.

as to the PSU situation post a budget and a location and I will do my best to suggest a quality unit that can run that hungry card that can consume over 300W at full.

Aug 7, 2020
245a.jpg

Aug 7, 2020
I would suggest going with the strongest card you can, in this case the 7970 (I have the 7950 right now).
not all PSUs are created equally so suggesting an upgrade would depend on the budget and the supply of supplies in your area, so I left that to you.

the cards look different but under the clothes they are the same device within degrees as I said it was for the general idea.

as to the PSU situation post a budget and a location and I will do my best to suggest a quality unit that can run that hungry card that can consume over 300W at full.
so if i had a antec 450 or 500 that would cover it, yeah?

Aug 7, 2020

budget 100-200? good enough? for psu?

Aug 7, 2020
It depends on what the current PSU is.

What is the make and model of the unit? It should say on the label.
im almost positive its the antec 450 the label is facing the back of the tower and i cant see it unless i took it out (currently using the PC) just trying to see if my GPU will be worth the effort of swapping

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/3F...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020122-na

some 450W units are only 250 on the 12V rail (the part that matters most) and 200w on the 3.3 and 5V rails, if this is the case it will be reboot city.

PSUs age, an older 500W unit may only be able to provide 425W after 5 years. age, actual 12V wattage, and initial build quality all play a part.

Solution
Aug 7, 2020

this seems completely reasonable i may go to best buy nearest me see if i can pick one up tomorrow!

Aug 7, 2020

Also what type of RAM would you suggest for this build with the 7970 i have 4 slots but i have one stick of 8gb if ripjaws z ram i believe its ddr3

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
if you get more RAM, do not try to match the RAM you have and just add another stick.
I suggest replacing the RAM with a new matched set of memory to enjoy the benefits of dual channel.
mixing RAM modules is a gamble. in any case I am reluctant to suggest buying something that cannot be part of the next upgrade, but your system. in the desired speed look for a pair of sticks, look for sticks with the loewst CAS in the desired speed (cannot compare CAS numbers of different speeds RAM) lowest CAS in each speed means the faster RAM.
a matched set of RAM would enable two memory channels to the CPU, this is dual channel memory, this allows data to get to the CPU much fasterwhich can help with loading times and general performance.