[SOLVED] Bought a Projector -- need a System that can install SteamLink/Parsec and projector would be used as display ?

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Hi ,i just recently bought a projector and i connect it to my PC as a display for gaming but my bedroom is kind of small

Due to having a few rescued dogs at home and they all have their own places to sleep in the house ,i cant really change my bedroom but what i can do is make the spare room a gaming room with the projector.

But i need a system that can support at least ubuntu or windows and be capable to install steamlink app or parsec streaming app and act as a client while my host gaming pc streams the game to the client

Buying a whole pc i dont think would be viable since i blew up my budget on the projector haha
But what options do i have ?

Perhaps raspberry pi zero which is the cheapest but i honestly dont know its performance and im not even sure if it has LAN ?

So what options do i have for a system to act as a client and be capable of installing the aforementioned apps in the cheapest yet with decent performance to be able to do the task

Cheap is the keyword

Thanks and i do eagerly wait for any and all comments please

Solution
I wouldn't buy a PI3 when the PI4 should be the same price for equivalent memory. BUT the PI4 is available with more RAM and has better graphics.

Ralston18

Titan
Cheap is generically understandable but a hard, quantifiable value is necessary.

What is the monetary budget with respect to your preferred currency?

Most applications and OS software provide some listing of hardware requirements in the form of minimal, recommended, and best.

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as fits within your budget.

In your case, you need to understand what the projector requires from its host computer - Raspberry Pi or otherwise.

Plus what the display software requires from the host computer.

Plus what ever game you play requires from the host computer.

End performance will only be as fast as the slowest of the three. So "decent performance" (currently undefined) could be bottlenecked in some manner.

So what you need to do is to "map out" the requirements in some sort of table format.

Crude/rough example:

Hardware / Game Required /Host supported /Graphics required /Projector

Memory / 16 GB / 8 GB / 16GB /N/A

Point being that performance will suffer overall if the host computer only supports or has 8 GB RAM. To get or install 16 GB of RAM means increasing your budget.

Do the same for CPU, GPU, drive(s), PSU

Another way to look at things:

What video/audio connectivity does the projector accept? Does or can the host computer provide that connectivity?

Summary: you need to set a $ budget and then plan a build accordingly that provides the necessary hardware requirements to run the game, display/projector.

Led zeppelin blues

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2015
Cheap is generically understandable but a hard, quantifiable value is necessary.

What is the monetary budget with respect to your preferred currency?

Most applications and OS software provide some listing of hardware requirements in the form of minimal, recommended, and best.

You do not want "minimal" and you do want as much "best" as fits within your budget.

In your case, you need to understand what the projector requires from its host computer - Raspberry Pi or otherwise.

Plus what the display software requires from the host computer.

Plus what ever game you play requires from the host computer.

End performance will only be as fast as the slowest of the three. So "decent performance" (currently undefined) could be bottlenecked in some manner.

So what you need to do is to "map out" the requirements in some sort of table format.

Crude/rough example:

Hardware / Game Required /Host supported /Graphics required /Projector

Memory / 16 GB / 8 GB / 16GB /N/A

Point being that performance will suffer overall if the host computer only supports or has 8 GB RAM. To get or install 16 GB of RAM means increasing your budget.

Do the same for CPU, GPU, drive(s), PSU

Another way to look at things:

What video/audio connectivity does the projector accept? Does or can the host computer provide that connectivity?

Summary: you need to set a $ budget and then plan a build accordingly that provides the necessary hardware requirements to run the game, display/projector.

Hi ,thanks for the detailed explanation

I already have a gaming rig with a ryzen 5 3600 and a gtx 1650 Super and 16GB of ram ,host computer wont be a issue i think

what a desire is a pc in another room that can stream what my gaming pc is playing

I read Parsec to act as a streaming client needs Raspberry Pi 3 Model B with LAN which i can buy

But would that be alright in terms of streaming at 1080p what the host gaming computer is playing

And in terms of budget Raspberry Pi 3 Model B surprisingly suits me money wise along with its tiny attachments and all but can a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B handle being a client able to connect to another pc and stream over LAN without any bottleneck performance issues on the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B ?

And gaming is mostly AAA single player games with as of now Days gone on my host gaming PC
Multiplayer i do on my monitor

And i did see people use SteamLink app on Raspberry Pi 3 Model B too

So is that viable ?

Thanks

Ralston18

Titan
Question - @Led zeppelin blues

This:

"what a desire is a pc in another room that can stream what my gaming pc is playing "

So, in other words, the end objective is to show/display the game play on a TV or monitor or projector to screen/wall in another room?

Why not configure the gaming pc via "WIN" + "P" and Project in Duplicate mode? Then all you need is the applicable long video cable.

Or do you want that other room pc to be actually online and sending out the game play while you comment over it?

It may be more feasible and simpler to just stream direct from the game computer.

Reference:

https://www.pcmag.com/how-to/how-to-get-started-in-game-streaming-the-ultimate-guide

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2020/aug/17/beginners-guide-to-streaming-video-games

Similar links are easily found.

Depending on the detailed requirements, the Raspberry PI and/or the projector may not be needed.

kanewolf

Titan
So, in other words, the end objective is to show/display the game play on a TV or monitor or projector to screen/wall in another room?

Why not configure the gaming pc via "WIN" + "P" and Project in Duplicate mode? Then all you need is the applicable long video cable.
Yeah, even an HDMI over point-to-point ethernet cable could be an option. Something like this -- https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=16048
Then you just need an cat6a cable.