[SOLVED] Bought a used Nikon D3500 for cheap that was supposed to have a broken LCD screen ?

IIrisen225II

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
... but the LCD screen worked fine, just no backlight. i replaced the LCD screen (i assume the backlight is in with the LCD assembly?) and still i have no backlight. For some reason there is next to nothing for documentation and common repair tactics for the d3500 so I'm pretty stumped at the moment.

Flex cable looks fine, no tears and i haven't got the balls to tear it down to the PCB just yet. Just wondering if anyone else has came across this problem and what they did to fix it. I've also gone and factory reset the device (that was a fun process without a backlight) and tried adjusting the backlight settings. Let me know if anymore info is needed.

IIrisen225II

Honorable
Jan 6, 2017
Most likely the motherboard has water damage on it and killed a chip that powered the backlight.
Yeah, motherboard damage seems to be the culprit. Which is weird because ive scoured the entire visible side of the mobo without taking it out and I see zero signs of corrosion anywhere. guess thats what i get for trying to save money and get something with known defects.