Question Bought new 7900XT - Struggling with FPS

Jun 5, 2023
Hi all, I'm at my wits end and come here with my head bowed. I've recently bought a new 7900XT to replace my old 1060, which was sorely lacking.
Here is my PCPartPicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WRyptn

I am unable to get stable fps in Fortnite, at all. And FPS in other games is only marginally better than previously.
I have done a full fresh install of graphics drivers (in safe mode with the DDU). And even flashed BIOS as that was horribly out of date. I truly cannot figure out what's wrong, and It's been suggested my PSU might not be coping, but I'd rather confirm online before having to pull that trigger...

I have OC'd the cpu to 4.7ghz, and the ram is on 3kghz, as I believe that to be correct. The CPU OC'd to help with heavy games such as Dwarf Fortress etc.
I am usually sitting at 50% to 60% utilization on both CPU and GPU, so unsure if something is bottlenecking.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

IDProG

Distinguished
Hi all, I'm at my wits end and come here with my head bowed. I've recently bought a new 7900XT to replace my old 1060, which was sorely lacking.
Here is my PCPartPicker list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WRyptn

I am unable to get stable fps in Fortnite, at all. And FPS in other games is only marginally better than previously.
I have done a full fresh install of graphics drivers (in safe mode with the DDU). And even flashed BIOS as that was horribly out of date. I truly cannot figure out what's wrong, and It's been suggested my PSU might not be coping, but I'd rather confirm online before having to pull that trigger...

I have OC'd the cpu to 4.7ghz, and the ram is on 3kghz, as I believe that to be correct. The CPU OC'd to help with heavy games such as Dwarf Fortress etc.
I am usually sitting at 50% to 60% utilization on both CPU and GPU, so unsure if something is bottlenecking.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
How many FPS? At what resolution + settings?

D

Deleted member 2947362

650watt PSU you sure that's enough? they recommend a min of 700watt for the PSU and the 7800XT maybe that could be effecting the performance.

and add overclocking! that poor PSU is going beyond it's expected use

an 850watt PSU would be a better choice as it would leave plenty of overhead for other parts of the system.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: PEnns
While your PSU is pretty good the recommended is 750W so this may be a point of contention. Just the same I'd suggest running something generic like 3dmark and checking GPU usage and power consumption while it runs. Your CPU will be a bottleneck for that GPU, but nothing like what you're describing.

Reactions: PEnns
D

Deleted member 2947362

My bad it is indeed 750Watt on AMD's website techpowerup says suggested 700watt :/ so can't rely on the info from techpowerup.