[SOLVED] Bought new components, PC crashes on some games (PSU issue?)

Jun 10, 2020
Hi,

I just bought a new CPU, 16gb of ram, GPU, Motherboard and a SSD.
I didn't upgrade my old 600W PSU from 2008-2011, because it should have enough power to handle the new components.

Now when i start PUGB or Escape from Tarkov, my computer just crashes and restarts itself without BSOD or anything.
Usually I can play Tarkov for about 1 hour before that happens and PUGB causes the crash almost immidiately after launch.
Event viewer showed Kernel Power error ID 41 but nothing else tells me what is going on.

Could it be that my Zalman 600W PSU is dying?
I got my new GPU before the other parts and put it to my earlier rig and PUGB caused my computer to crash during loading screen, so the problem shouldn't be a CPU, RAM or MOBO issue.

CPU: i5-9400f
GPU: RX 580 Arez dual OC 8GB (requires a 500w PSU)
RAM: HyperX FURY 16gb 2666MhZ
MOBO: MSI Z390-A PRO
PSU: Zalman ZM600-hp (600W) from 2008-2011 (I'm not sure but it is really old)
Windows 10.

Solution
"I didn't upgrade my old 600W PSU from 2008-2011, because it should have enough power to handle the new components"

PSUs wear out. You should get a new one. The dielectric in the capacitors slowly evaporates over time, and eventually your 12v DC will go from --------- to ~~~~~~. This excessive ripple causes your components to crash. Graphics cards are especially vulnerable and installing the new one probably put it over the edge. Don't get another Zalman PSU either. Get something with at least a 5 year warranty and rated for 50'C.
"I didn't upgrade my old 600W PSU from 2008-2011, because it should have enough power to handle the new components"

PSUs wear out. You should get a new one. The dielectric in the capacitors slowly evaporates over time, and eventually your 12v DC will go from --------- to ~~~~~~. This excessive ripple causes your components to crash. Graphics cards are especially vulnerable and installing the new one probably put it over the edge. Don't get another Zalman PSU either. Get something with at least a 5 year warranty and rated for 50'C.

Reactions: Homie-Kenobi
Solution
Jun 10, 2020
did you do a fresh windows 10 install?

Thanks guys for the quick reply!
I did a fresh windows 10 install to the new ssd drive.

I also just ordered a new Corsair 750W PSU and it should be here tomorrow or Friday.
Hopefully it resolves everything.