Bought new PC, monitor not displaying?

VladtheInhaler

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014
So I bought a pc off of Cyberpower, mainly because I'm not the techiest guy in the world and don't know how to build one. I'll probably learn how to in the future, but that's beside the point. I turned on my new pc and everything started up except the monitor. The monitor turns on, it just doesn't display anything, and I know it works because I'm using it right now on my old pc. I asked my friend for some help, and he said since my monitor had a VGA cable, and that my radeon 290x had a dvi-d socket, that I would need to buy an adaptor and it should work then. Would this fix my problem?

Domo20121

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
So, are you saying that you are trying to connect a monitor w/ a VGA input to a DVI output on your graphics card? Or does your monitor have both DVI and VGA, and you're using VGA with your old computer? Also, is your old PC a laptop or a desktop?

VladtheInhaler

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

Yes, VGA to DVI output. It only has a VGA. It's a PC.

Domo20121

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014

Yep, then you need a DVI to VGA converter. How did you connect your VGA line to the DVI output in the first place? Also for further clarification, is the computer the one with the VGA only, or your monitor? Sorry, I'm a little confused.

VladtheInhaler

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

I didn't connect it. I tried to connect my monitor, which is VGA only, to the VGA port on the desktop, but I wasn't getting any display. My friend told me I needed to hook it up to the DVI D port on the desktop, hence why I need the adaptor.

Domo20121

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
Ok, First of all, your friend is wrong. Your computer will automatically choose whatever port you have plugged your monitor into. Further, I actually have a similar problem on a build of mine. I suspect there may be something incompatible with your BIOS (screen you see before windows starts) and your monitor's default resolution. Do you have any other screen you could plug this computer into? (HDTV, another monitor...?) I suspect that if you try to boot it up to another screen, it may work. You then (If your computer came with windows) may want to try setting a relatively low resolution like 800x600 (Once you're in windows) Then, go back to your non-working monitor, plug everything in, and fire her up. After a few minutes, windows should boot to the low resolution you set before. then, you guess and check to get the highest possible resolution. I really hope this solves your problem!

VladtheInhaler

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

I plugged it into my tv and flipped through the sources (not really knowing which one to be on) and still got nothing. just a blank screen.

Domo20121

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2014
Ok, so your graphics card isn't outputing anything... Try taking off the side panels and checking that all cables are securely plugged into their respective sockets on your motherboard. Also, remove your GPU, and then plug it back in firmly, making sure it is level with the motherboard. Also, make sure that the power cables are plugged into the top of your GPU(It requires 2 extra connectors). If it still doesn't work, you may want to contact CyberPower.

VladtheInhaler

Reputable
Oct 16, 2014

I don't follow. How would I be able to know if it wasn't outputting anything if I haven't even plugged my monitor into it yet. Hence the need for the adaptor. When I turn on my desktop, the fans on the gpu start running, along with everything else (if that matters at all). I'm a tad bit confused.

TRENDING THREADS