[SOLVED] Bought new RAM - Has it been repackaged?

e4472

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Hello All,

I recently purchased some new hardware components from amazon to upgrade my existing system. One of which being another set of Kingston Hyperx Fury White 8GB (2x4GB) 1866MHz DDR3 RAM , This was to be added to an identical set other than the heat spreader being a different colour. This was purchased brand new (not used) and I'm a bit concerned as my original set of ram came in a box like this:
FgWs0VPl.jpg

But what I received was not boxed, instead it was sealed in anti static packaging and bubble wrapped like this:
xAxK5Ixl.jpg

w3AVo7Il.jpg

Should I be concerned about this and possibly think about returning it? I'm unsure as to whether this is brand new or whether it's been repackaged and wanted to hear your thoughts.

Thanks very much for your help.

GeorgeGod

Reputable
Jul 4, 2019
i suggest not no buy ram on amazon becaouse the ram is repackage with maybe mean someone put it to their pc and try to use if that person knew how to go to bios he can overclock the ram to the point ram dosent work and then maybe he repackage the ram dor someone to buy it
i dont know why people do this kind of stuff

e4472

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Hi, thanks for the quick replies. It was purchased brand new from amazon in the UK, or rather it was "fulfilled by amazon". The actual seller I received an invoice from is called Neotek Trade LTD.

e4472

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Thanks for your response. If that's the case then would it be best to just return them for a refund or do you think it's worth opening the packet and trying them to see if they work?

e4472

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
Hi again, just to update i made an enquiry with the seller asking if they were new and as to why they were repackaged/unboxed and the seller replied with this:

"Hi, we only sell new products. We invite you to try them and if they are not to your liking, you can return them at no cost, obtaining a full refund of your order. "

I'm unsure now whether I should just try them anyway, it just seems a bit fishy to me. I mean to me if they're not in the original packaging that means either:
A. The seller has removed them from the box and repackaged them (why would they do this) or
B. Someone else has purchased them, opened the box and possibly used them then returned without the original packaging. In which case they're not new as they say they are.

It doesn't really bother me if they've only had light use and they work ok, but because I just don't know how they've been used it makes me a bit hesitant to use them. Especially as the seller claims they're new which just doesn't seem true to me.

e4472

Honorable
Jun 29, 2014
That's a good idea, yes I'll try to do that. I'll open them and insert them on there own without my existing memory and test them with memtest86 and see if there good or not. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it.

Reactions: NightHawkRMX