[SOLVED] Bought two (equal) sets of (2x8 GB) RAM, hoping to have 32 GB of ram for cheap but...

Jo_Hardy

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
They are Two sets of Silicon Power Gaming Series DDR4 16GB (8GBx2) 3200MHz CL16. Would I face issues using two sets of RAM on my computer?

I read an article on buying ram after I ordered the product during Black Friday deals🤦‍♂️, which recommends to buy 1 set of the ram capacity I need. (I should have gone with 2x16 GB).

My country (Sri Lanka) has a service which ships items from USA's Amazon, Newegg etc. So I bought it during the deals. It will be mid December when I can test it for myself, once everything arrives (plus of course I don't have warranty for it, unless I send it back to USA, nor can I return it through the service). Super worried about this so any experience or help would be really appreciated :)

Thanks soo much

Component prices are crazy high here. Which is why I bought from USA - paying shipping + customs fee - over buying from here.

Back in 2011 an Z series motherboard cost about 20-24k. Now 11th gen Z590's start over 52k. B series motherboards started around 12k. Now the cheapest B560 is 26k. and thanks to the VRM issue of the B560 series, I have to buy a higher end motherboard (yet to choose)

Solution
If your system is Intel it is likely to work just fine. If it's AMD is more likely to give issue.
Where it is preferrable to buy sets of RAM, whereas they have a 'nod' that they should work together from the manufacturer, it's actual ability to will depend on your system.

One good check to do is to check the memory QVL list with your motherboard manufacturer. If it's on there it is a tested type that the motherboard manufacturer gives a nod that it should work as expected. If it isn't doesn't mean it won't work, but that it hasn't been verified.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
If your system is Intel it is likely to work just fine. If it's AMD is more likely to give issue.
Where it is preferrable to buy sets of RAM, whereas they have a 'nod' that they should work together from the manufacturer, it's actual ability to will depend on your system.

One good check to do is to check the memory QVL list with your motherboard manufacturer. If it's on there it is a tested type that the motherboard manufacturer gives a nod that it should work as expected. If it isn't doesn't mean it won't work, but that it hasn't been verified.

Reactions: Jo_Hardy
Solution

Jo_Hardy

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012

Thanks for replying :) Sorry for my late response and sorry for not mentioning the processor, it is Intel 11400

I haven't bought the motherboard yet, I am looking to purchase a B560 series from a shop here (so that I will have warranty for it), I was looking at 3 motherboards cuz of the VRM issues of this gen.

Sadly I cannot find this ram in any QVL list, checked MSI, Gigabyte and ASUS. Only the ASUS motherboard even had any Silicon Power RAM listed in the QVL list. The rest didn't have any SP RAM products!

But I guess I will email each of them and ask.

Thank you for the response again. I will mark it as the Best answer :)

And shall make a new Question for the system build (under system) and another Question for the motherboard, in the motherboard forums.

Thanks again!

Jo_Hardy

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2012
There's absolutely nothing wrong with 4 x 8, it's very normal. It can even give you more FPS ingame than 2 x 16 would. No worries, dude!

Thank you for the reply :) Sadly from what I read here on Tom's Hardware, it is preferable to buy one set

"
  • Always buy a single memory kit for your desired capacity. Never combine two memory modules or memory kits even if they're from the same vendor and product line. Mixing and matching may not always produce a desirable result and sometimes manual tweaking is required to achieve stability.
"

Nevertheless, I hope you're right and that Tom'sH was just being extra careful :)
Thanks for responding