Boxx Technologies 3DBOXX 4860 Workstation

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bga

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2006
Before complaining about the price: Please lookup the price of that NVidia professional videocard. It's almost half the price of the complete configuration! And NO, at that level, consumer/gamer cards won't do. As someone else mentioned, a low end professional card (aprox. 1000 USD) can be used with some applications which are CPU bound, but with BOXX targeted audience, only a fast professional card will do - and these cost a lot.

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Glad to see that as I got deeper into the comments all the "I can build better then that" trolls washed away. I mean really, do these people think Disney is going to hire Johnny Noname to build them 30 rendering machines?

We have a single Boxx render node and it is very fast for C4D.

rperez

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
A lot of people miss the point about the price/performance here. Yes, it's easy to build a computer like that for a lot less, but can you build 200 computers like that for a company? Can you stress test and guarantee this same 200 computers will work flawlessly for 1, 2 or 3 years? If some computer fail, how fast it'll be the support, you'll be available immediately?

BOXX (and their reputation) is selling availability. For companies sometimes this is so important as performance.

slyphnier

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2008
Third there is a flaw, yes there is always the temptation of mounting the hard drives in that manor but isn't recommended due to the uneven wear on the spindle that can lead to early failure.

Ever read google report regarding harddrive ?
on the report it said orientation didn't effect HDD lifespan whatsoever
also from here http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/981#mount
Desktop Drives: The drive can be mounted in a standard 3.5"device bay. The drive can be mounted sideways, on end, or even upside down as long as the mounting screws are used properly. Use either the four bottom screws or four of the side mounting screws to support the drive. This will prevent vibration and provide additional electrical grounding.

also you can seeing that server casing and many external drive using vertical orientation so i don't think hdd manufacture sell a product that might effect lifespan

i think temperature might effect hdd life-span more serious than orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.