[SOLVED] Brand new computer mouse with a burning smell?

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Good evening.

Past december, I bought on AliExpress a nice-looking computer mouse what I thought could be a nice upgrade from my Genius Xscroll GM-04003A.

However, I don't know why but I thought on smelling it after a 5-minutes usage.

The mouse have a smell like burning circuit. Is this smell normal?

Here is the product (I already rated the seller as it was working okay, but after smelling it, I turned it off and pulled out the batteries):
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000389686580.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.333f608ezI55p1

(Something probably important: You need to put the nose very close to the mouse for feel the burning smell).

Last edited:
Solution
No.

A burning smell is not normal and indicates that too much current is flowing somewhere and a component is getting hot.

Could be the mouse or a battery defect.

Return the mouse.

Note: the link goes to named website but shows "We couldn't find your page".

Ralston18

Titan
No.

A burning smell is not normal and indicates that too much current is flowing somewhere and a component is getting hot.

Return the mouse.

Solution

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
No.

Return the mouse.

The batteries I used for test the mouse are in good shape as far as I know, so in that case it's mouse problem.

The mouse have a button for change DPI. I pressed it like 10 times for test it, so I could be the guilty for this?

(Edited link, somehow I didn't pasted it completely)

Ralston18

Titan
Very unlikely that anything you did (e.g., DPI change) caused or created the problem.

Mouse defect and/or sub-standard batteries. Especially if the batteries came with the mouse.

Manufacturer's provide the cheapest possible batteries if batteries are included. Such batteries can and do drain fast, corrode quickly, leak, swell, and otherwise cause problems.

I am almost to the point where I simply do not use such batteries beyond some initial testing perhaps. Even if the batteries are a labeled known brand. No way to verify that the batteries are real and/or of quality manufacturing. Could be QA bin rejects - if there is any QA at all....

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Very unlikely that anything you did (e.g., DPI change) caused or created the problem.

Mouse defect and/or sub-standard batteries. Especially if the batteries came with the mouse.

Manufacturer's provide the cheapest possible batteries if batteries are included. Such batteries can and do drain fast, corrode quickly, leak, swell, and otherwise cause problems.

I am almost to the point where I simply do not use such batteries beyond some initial testing perhaps. Even if the batteries are a labeled known brand. No way to verify that the batteries are real and/or of quality manufacturing. Could be QA bin rejects - if there is any QA at all....

About the batteries, as I said I don't think they being the problem. I used two Amazon batteries I have since a month ago (from my Fire Stick remote) and directly sold by Amazon, so I don't really think they being the issue.

Also, the mouse seller said 'No batteries included'.

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Are you sure it's a burning smell and not just the smell from plastic and adhesives? A lot of cheaper products from China have a smell for a while.

To be honest, the smell is similar to:
  • When I got when my Nycetek PSU was starting to work (4 months ago).
  • When a Powerbank I bought from China 3 years ago almost literally exploded.

What makes me worry is the smell became a bit strong with just a 5-min usage (and today what I'm writing this, the mouse still have the smell). I don't know if put my hand+desk at risk and start using it.

AskenLurom

Reputable
Nov 7, 2019
Are you sure it's a burning smell and not just the smell from plastic and adhesives? A lot of cheaper products from China have a smell for a while.

To be honest, the smell is similar to:
  • When I got when my Nycetek PSU was starting to work (4 months ago).
  • When a Powerbank I bought from China 3 years ago almost literally exploded.

What makes me worry is the smell became a bit strong with just a 5-min usage (and today what I'm writing this, the mouse still have the smell). I don't know if put my hand+desk at risk and start using it.