Brand new computer shuts down on its own randomly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexcrowe68

Prominent
Nov 9, 2017
I just put together a new computer and everything seemed to be working fine but after about a week of using it it started shutting down randomly on its own. These shutdowns happen anywhere from as soon as I start the system up to three hours after

It's a mini ITX system so I thought thermals might be the problem but ramping the fans doesn't do anything to solve the problem

I sunk a lot of money into this project and I really hate to see it be for nothing

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Lowredfred/saved/GwXgLk

If the link doesn't work I'll try to get one that does but that's a list of the components I used to make the PC

https://imgur.com/a/hduicmE[/img

Solution
While I agree its probably the power supply, I'm thinking the PSU failed (or is failing). Those Mini GTX 1080s only pull in about 195w, 450 should be enough for that system. The 600 will give you more headroom, including thermal headroom in the PSU.

Once you get it in there you should check your temps and airflow in the case. I have a feeling heat damaged the PSU and caused this failure. So to check airflow you can use a match and blow it out then hold it next to a case intake and see if the smoke comes out your exhaust or gets trapped inside. You can also open the side of the case slightly to watch the flow of where it goes. A true smoke machine is best but I'm not gonna tell you to go out and buy one for this.

g-unit1111

Titan

What case are you using? I am assuming that if you're using an SFX power supply that you're using an SFX case similar to a Node 202 or Silverstone Raven?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
While I agree its probably the power supply, I'm thinking the PSU failed (or is failing). Those Mini GTX 1080s only pull in about 195w, 450 should be enough for that system. The 600 will give you more headroom, including thermal headroom in the PSU.

Once you get it in there you should check your temps and airflow in the case. I have a feeling heat damaged the PSU and caused this failure. So to check airflow you can use a match and blow it out then hold it next to a case intake and see if the smoke comes out your exhaust or gets trapped inside. You can also open the side of the case slightly to watch the flow of where it goes. A true smoke machine is best but I'm not gonna tell you to go out and buy one for this.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.