[SOLVED] Brand new HDD 100% in task manager

Apr 3, 2020
Hi guys. Previous HDD was maxxing out at 100%. Bought a new one to try and resolve it, installed windows 10 and now new HDD running at 100% again. I will try and provide any information you ask for

Solution
What is on the HDD?
Windows perhaps?
It looks like windows is running a defragment app. That drives a hdd crazy.
I think you can turn off defragmentation.
On a new install, windows may try to build an index. The process usually runs at low priority, but the hdd activity will be high.

With low ssd prices of today, it is a very bad idea to run windows on a HDD.
D

Deleted member 14196

You have problems with windows and are probably going to have to reinstall clean to get rid of it this has nothing to do with your hard drive

D

Deleted member 14196

Where did you get your copy of windows 10? This isn’t normal behavior and should not be happening after an install

Check the event viewer and look for any shenanigans

Apr 3, 2020
Attached link
Dnu7lyh.jpg

Last edited:
What is on the HDD?
Windows perhaps?
It looks like windows is running a defragment app. That drives a hdd crazy.
I think you can turn off defragmentation.
On a new install, windows may try to build an index. The process usually runs at low priority, but the hdd activity will be high.

With low ssd prices of today, it is a very bad idea to run windows on a HDD.

Solution
Apr 3, 2020
Thanks for the advice. I turned off the defrag background scan thing after I took the photo didnt make any difference. I'm probably just going to get an ssd for windows

Thanks for the advice. I turned off the defrag background scan thing after I took the photo didnt make any difference. I'm probably just going to get an ssd for windows

What do you mean it didn't make any difference? When you shut down a process the usage it takes should not be there anymore. When you turn off the auto scheduled disk defrag it should never do one again without you doing it manually.

Is the defrag process still in task manager? Post another screen of your HDD usage task manager.

Apr 3, 2020
FIXED: It seems to be an issue where nothing in particular is using up a lot but still spikes to 100%. when I stopped defrag the process stopped but it still spiked. Reinstalled windows again. Installed drivers individually. Disabled Msi mode in regedit by setting from 1 to 0. I had previously tried disabling MSI mode with windows updated drivers not online drivers. Looks like individual drives installations off the net may of fixed it. Thanks for your time guys.

FIXED: It seems to be an issue where nothing in particular is using up a lot but still spikes to 100%. when I stopped defrag the process stopped but it still spiked. Reinstalled windows again. Installed drivers individually. Disabled Msi mode in regedit by setting from 1 to 0. I had previously tried disabling MSI mode with windows updated drivers not online drivers. Looks like individual drives installations off the net may of fixed it. Thanks for your time guys.

What is MSI mode? Sounds like something you don't need and should not be installed.

Apr 18, 2020
When I saw the picture you posted with the usage at 100%, I got nausea's. I just went through this... for a long time...

Short story here... stop buying HDD. for whatever reason windows 10 is filled with so much crap that hard drives just cant handle it. Buy SSD. Make the SSD your boot drive. Your pc will be good as new.

Long story here:
I litteraly had that issue with my gaming desktop for 2 years. Id give up and then every few months I would be determined to fix it and get to the bottom of it. It happens to so many people and theres are hundreds of forums on this. Theres around 10 suspected culprits causing this. If you google this issue tons of websites are gunna pop up suggesting the same things. Some advice from someone whos done all of them multiple times... when the 100% disk goes away and your pc acts normal for a few days. Prepare yourself.. because its probably coming back. Yesterday I bought a samsung 500GB SSD, $80 from Bestbuy. Threw it in no problem, made it my boot drive, actually decided to keep the HDD since weve been through so much together and BOOM. My pc is absolute lightning with SSD running the show and the HDD just acting as a massive picture and video storage. If you already have an SSD as the boot drive and your hard drive is the back up, just throw it out lol

When I saw the picture you posted with the usage at 100%, I got nausea's. I just went through this... for a long time...

Short story here... stop buying HDD. for whatever reason windows 10 is filled with so much crap that hard drives just cant handle it. Buy SSD. Make the SSD your boot drive. Your pc will be good as new.

Long story here:
I litteraly had that issue with my gaming desktop for 2 years. Id give up and then every few months I would be determined to fix it and get to the bottom of it. It happens to so many people and theres are hundreds of forums on this. Theres around 10 suspected culprits causing this. If you google this issue tons of websites are gunna pop up suggesting the same things. Some advice from someone whos done all of them multiple times... when the 100% disk goes away and your pc acts normal for a few days. Prepare yourself.. because its probably coming back. Yesterday I bought a samsung 500GB SSD, $80 from Bestbuy. Threw it in no problem, made it my boot drive, actually decided to keep the HDD since weve been through so much together and BOOM. My pc is absolute lightning with SSD running the show and the HDD just acting as a massive picture and video storage. If you already have an SSD as the boot drive and your hard drive is the back up, just throw it out lol

Windows 10 runs perfectly fine on an HDD. Unless the HDD is dying or you have an OS issue you should not be seeing 100% usage in Windows 10 using a normal 7200 RPM HDD.

Obviously people should be using SSD for the OS now just because it's snappier but don't tell people to not use an HDD for Windows 10. That's just wrong and uninformed.

TRENDING THREADS