[SOLVED] brand new system and new windows install with seemingly random bsod's on start up.

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
pc specs are below. the problem is as stated in the title. i built a new system, new mobo, ram and cpu. the rest of the parts were in an old system. the windows drive was formatted and cleared before reinstalling windows 10. im having very strange random bsod on start up. doesnt happen every time i start the computer. if the computer was on in the last hour and i shut it down i cant get the bsod to appear. but if i shut down for the night and turn it on in the morning after about 8 hours i'll get a bsod 75 percent of the time. sometimes it's thread exception not handled, sometimes its memory management, and sometimes its service exception not handled. seemingly at random too. if i restart i cant get the bsod to show up. im also having a problem with a game i was able to play fine on my older system. elite dangerous. it's a very unique online game that transfers data in strange way and i have a feeling whatever is happening is the culprit. every other game works seemingly fine. except for over watch, where my voip will work for the first match or two and then just stops working for some reason even though the settings havent been changed. i've scanned windows numerous times using sfc scannow and i have also used windows memory scan and event viewer to make sure the ram was ok. the ram is ddr4 3200mhz corsair vengeance. it comes stock at 2133 like all ddr4 but you have to oc it to 3200 with xmp. i used xmp and got it to 3200 but it wasnt stable until i bumped the voltage to 1.5(max for my bios) instead of 1.35, what it's rated for. do i have bad ram or something? even though i have scanned it without finding any faults? i havent noticed any other problems that pertain to ram at all except the strangeness in elite dangerous and overwatch. i've obviously tried setting all hardware to stock clocks but all the issues persist. is windows just having a conniption due some software or something?

specs:
cpu- ryzen 3 3100 oc to 4.25ghz with ryzen master and stable.

ram- corsair vengeance 3200 ddr4

mobo- gigabyte aorus b450 deluxe wifi pro

gpu- rx vega 64

2 samsung ssd's. one with windows the other for storage and one 1tb hdd as well.

Solution
So since bsod didn't actually tell me the cause directly, i have to look at drivers.
There might be a newer version of ryzen master but i doubt thats cause. I only know as i looked on my pc. I seem to have the Ryzenmaster driver twice but in different locations, but I digress.

i would suggest gigabyte app centre but having it myself I know its useless. I thought it would update drivers but no, apps only.

most of your drivers seem up to date.

see if turning fast startup off removes the errors - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
you don't need it since your boot drive is an ssd, its mainly for users of hdd. It can also trip up old drivers, not that i see any there .

have you run...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you remove overclocks till we fix problem?

do you have latest bios? might help the ram

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

copy that file to documents

upload the copy from documents to a file sharing web site, and share the link in your thread so we can help fix the problem

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1PO4ZEqVpsgkfDgn6nS46RemjRQnGSAcJ/view?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BVJhPOjwSAT0Iz6eJqerqirmNRFJv_Fi/view?usp=sharing

those are the two files in the minidump folder. it was already enabled luckily. and i can def remove the overclocks but it wont change anything. i've removed them for 5 days and experienced all the same problems. but if we find anything in the files or you have a suggestion i can remove them and leave them off for a few days to see if it will work. the problem is that the ram is super slow(2133) without xmp enabled. i lose a lot of performance in game since ryzen and my radeon gpu are literal memory hogs. so i dont really want to turn off the oc. and since ddr4 is sold at a specific speed like 3200 or 3600 etc. they're all just rated to be good overclocked to those speeds. all ddr4 is initially 2133 just like ddr3 was 1333. so they should be fine at these settings. the only weird thing is that the ram takes 1.5 volts to be stable, instead of the specified 1.35 volts.

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
ok bios is currently updated to newest version. f51. but as stated i wont know if this is the fix until i shut down for the night since the problem is hard to replicate. i will post back here in a few days or when i get the blue screen on start up again. i will however test the games i stated above and see if anything has changed. the problem with the games could just a home networking issue though. i just thought i'd post everything concerning me about this new build in effort to fix it for myself and anyone else having this issue in the future.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/u8dz5okL/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:102420-9296-01.dmp (Oct 24 2020 - 13:16:44)
Bugcheck:MEMORY_MANAGEMENT (1A)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: RuntimeBroker.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 16 Hour(s), 06 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)

File information:102220-10015-01.dmp (Oct 22 2020 - 12:18:36)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: taskhostw.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 9 Hour(s), 35 Min(s), and 10 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B450-AORUS-PRO-WIFI-rev-1x#kf

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So since bsod didn't actually tell me the cause directly, i have to look at drivers.
There might be a newer version of ryzen master but i doubt thats cause. I only know as i looked on my pc. I seem to have the Ryzenmaster driver twice but in different locations, but I digress.

i would suggest gigabyte app centre but having it myself I know its useless. I thought it would update drivers but no, apps only.

most of your drivers seem up to date.

see if turning fast startup off removes the errors - https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-turn-off-fast-startup-windows-10-a.html
you don't need it since your boot drive is an ssd, its mainly for users of hdd. It can also trip up old drivers, not that i see any there .

have you run memtest on your ram?

Solution

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
i really appreciate you guys taking the time to look into this with me. i'll try going to the amd website and try redownloading ryzen master or look for the newest version. and while i was trying to update my bios i wanted to use the gigabyte app center because i saw a tutorial and it seemed super easy. i downloaded it and any time i opened it my computer would bsod without fail. as soon as i click yes to give it permission to launch the bsod comes up. so i just updated my bios via usb and qflash which is on my mobo. i also have not turned on fast startup in my bios. is there a fast startup option in windows 10? and i have run windows memory diagnostic on the ram, but not memtest86 or w.e. it's called. i've read a massive mix of reviews on that program, and in the past in my personal opinion if windows memory diagnostic doesnt find errors neither will memtest86. i've even had faulty ram in the past that passed memtest86 for 12 hours straight. but i can def run it just to see.

EDIT: i found the quickstart or quick boot option in windows. i had no idea that existed. i turned it off and shut down and turned back on my pc. so we will see. like previously stated if i dont bsod for a few days in a row i will get back here and let you all know.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
i also have not turned on fast startup in my bios. is there a fast startup option in windows 10?
Fast startup in bios is different function to the one in windows.
Bios version likely skips some hardware checks at startup to speed up its passing control to windows.
Windows version changes how PC shuts down. What it does, instead of shutting the PC down when you click the power button in start menu, it puts PC into a hybrid hibernate mode, saves a copy of running drivers + the windows kernel into either ram or onto the hiberfil.sys file on hdd. When you start PC up, half the info is already loaded into ram and it takes less time to start PC. It doesn't help ssd as they are fast enough already. It can trip over old drivers not written for the mode.

jordank_boro

Commendable
Dec 26, 2018
so i thought i replied to this but i guess i did not lol.
the fix was the option that colif recommended:
to turn off fast start up in windows. i have not blue screened once since i did this and it's been over a week.
i also had a windows update so i cant say for sure if it was a problem with that program that got updated or turning off quick startup.
but if you are having this issue be sure to turn of quick start up IN WINDOWS