Brand new to the computer life

Sep 13, 2018
I I just built a computer it has a Asus prime 370a 36g of 3200hz a msi 1080 ti duke 11g and a cryorig r1 utl I was running msi after burner and kombte or whatever it's called and I was trying to mess with the oc of the gpu I was hitting 78c at 80 percent fan and my CPU was 74c I think I had the clock to 125plus and the memory clock at 200...was wondering if that to hot or if I was doing something wrong.. Please explain to me like I'm brand new to this because I am lol please help

Sep 13, 2018

Idk if there gonna stay under 80 tho because I don't think I was trying the systems limits like that was I? Is that stress test thing that comes with msi afterburner does it really work it that hard? Seemed like I was. Only getting 120 frames on 1440

Sep 13, 2018
Like is said tho I'm brand new to this haven't touched a computer in prolly ten yrs so I'm sure what's a good load on the system and what's not I built it trying for 144 fps on 1440p for most games that is what I was shooting for anyway

Phazoner

Distinguished
Stress test are just about testing, the FPS achieved aren't representative of the performance while gaming. Some people make stress tests for hours to check stability, specially when the PC is going to be used for mining, but for gaming you are fine letting the test run for some minutes while looking at temperatures until they stabilize.

You probably should customize the fan curve to make them go faster at that temps. Anyway overclocking means higher temperature.

Sep 13, 2018

Sep 13, 2018

Thank you I'm also got 3200hz ram but in the bios it only showing 2133 and even when I enable xmp it still only shows 2733 on the one spot of the bios and says the ram status is 2133 as well? Why is it not reading 3200? The me supports over 4000

Sep 13, 2018

Sep 13, 2018

Free is only cheese in a mouse-trap. And for second mouse only. :)

You're paying with life expectancy of your hardware.

Phazoner

Distinguished
Overclocking because yes is pointless because you'll get more heat or even more voltage, which means more noise of the fans and ultimately less lifespan for your components. You should only overclock if you need to improve the performance.

For example, if you want to play a game at 4K resolution and 60FPS but you can't get an average of 60FPS for a little (like getting 58-59) and lowering the settings which improve your performance enough are also noticeably worse so you prefer to push the GPU.

So again, you should only overclock if you need more power.

USAFRet

Titan

Several reasons:

1. The system already does what is needed
2. Potential for more noise due to the fans ramping up due to the extra heat
3. Not everyone wants to play with the hardware at that level

dederedmi5plus

Prominent
Aug 17, 2018
add sound dampening foam to case + make sure all area inside the case unobstructed by cables and wires as little as possible (this makes positive air pressure) + use proven fan, BeQuiet Silent Wing 3 or Noctua Redux + use cooler with more fans.

To satisfy your OC you can use custom liquid cooler parts, gonna cost you another $500, it's going to be loud (force you to use 3000 RPM fans) + add more electric bill (some CPU can draw over 200% of it rated TDP as long as the cooler allowed)

Sep 13, 2018

Sep 13, 2018
I do have more case fans and sound damping foam I have 5 120m and my air cooler has two and a nice heat sink and I got to do a mild oc when the time comes but I didn't go with aio cooler just because of more moving parts at this time but I will get one eventually so I am trying to keep things cool but like I said I just a mild oc maybe 10 percent gain all around in perfomace... I didn't get a 165 hz montior not to use all the fps

TRENDING THREADS