broken files (0 byte files) on Windows 10

bartosh44

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
I have nand (samsung 970 - newest windows 10 pro - system 1 - commercial work) and second ssd (samsung 860 - newest windows 10 pro - system 2 - personal use - gaming). There is also WD black (3 yrs old). WD black is storage disk. Mostly for my commercial works. Both systems are UEFI and see all other disks (UEFI). I change them through BIOS becouse they have own UEFI partitions so they don`t see each other during booting up. That`s becouse those systems separately. I`m happy with that becouse it`s not often when I go for personal disk for gaming.

I`ve recognized 0 byte files only on WD black (through search '*.*:=0B'). That is much simplier that on system disks becouse system disk has got many 0 byte files.

On WD black I have broken images and photoshop files and some of files which I`ve opened recently. Few of them are created in moment of swiitching system (I`ve checked logon times).

I`ve used few best hdd diagnostic tools and checkdisk - WD BLACK without errors, bad sectors and SMART errors.

I`ve got few orphaned files during chkdsk (I`ve attached only strange lines for me).
https://pasteboard.co/HVkdh8R.jpg
Is that means it is broken?

I`ve used two antiviruses and there was any viruses.

I`ve tried to recover lost files but after recovery those files has got also 0bytes.

I`ve made backups and I think what I should to do more.

Disk works normally.

Questions:
1) should I buy new hard disk becouse of disk failure (there wasn`t bad block errors during tests)?
2) should I use only one Windows instead of two?
3) should I reinstall new system (main one has got two weeks and 0 bytes was also before that date)?
4) why this happens?
5) Is it possible to fix that disk if it`s broken? Is it worth to fix that or it`s better to throw it away?

Solution
Well .. if BIOS of your board doesn't allow turning of fast boot, then
  • either you can't use multiple OS-es on your pc or
    reinstall them in legacy mode.
It might be possible to avoid reinstallation, but this would require
  • making image of OS drive,
    cleaning it,
    converting from GPT to MBR,
    creating bootloader partition for legacy boot,
    restoring OS partition from image.
You should not change boot mode from UEFI to legacy. Your system will not boot anymore, if you do.

Corrupted file system is result of fast boot and and use of multiple OSes. It doesn't mean dying hdd.
Anyway - you can check health of your drives with HDtune health. Post screenshots.

bartosh44

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
https://pasteboard.co/HVkOOn1.jpg - I`ve ordered new one (I can cancel it if old is ok).

I`ve got x399 MSI SLI PLUS motherboard (AMD 1920x) with BIOS ver E7B09AMS.A70 and newest Windows 10 PRO (on both).

There is a problem becouse I don`t see fast boot option inside my bios. I`ve change it from UEFI to UEFI+legacy and it boots a bit slower but I don`t know is it correct setting. There is also Windows 10 WHQL which is set to off. I can`t see pure "fast boot" option.

Drive health in that screenshot is fine.

In BIOS there should be similar screen to this one:

MSI_Settings_06-1024x768.jpg

Well .. if BIOS of your board doesn't allow turning of fast boot, then
  • either you can't use multiple OS-es on your pc or
    reinstall them in legacy mode.
It might be possible to avoid reinstallation, but this would require
  • making image of OS drive,
    cleaning it,
    converting from GPT to MBR,
    creating bootloader partition for legacy boot,
    restoring OS partition from image.

Solution