Question Broken pin in USB header - can I still use the 2nd channel?

Jul 3, 2024
I bent then broke one of the pins in my motherboard USB3.2 header. The header powers the two case USB ports, and according to the pinout the broken pin is SSRX1+. Per the pinout, it looks like each USB port is controlled by one side of the plug. If I plug into the header with the broken pin, I should be able to use one of the case USB ports. My question is - is there any risk having all but one of the other port's connections plugged in? An incomplete circuit causing issues for example? It's a standard 20 pin socket. I appreciate any help!

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Which side of the SSRX1+ did you break off? An image would help us two fold.

is there any risk having all but one of the other port's connections plugged in? An incomplete circuit causing issues for example?
One port would probably be rendered moot. By my research, it seems that SSRX/SSTX are for power delivery;
https://e2e.ti.com/support/interfac...2-gen-2-x2-20gbps-not-working-continue-thread

I bent then broke one of the pins in my motherboard USB3.2 header. The header powers the two case USB ports, and according to the pinout the broken pin is SSRX1+. Per the pinout, it looks like each USB port is controlled by one side of the plug. If I plug into the header with the broken pin, I should be able to use one of the case USB ports. My question is - is there any risk having all but one of the other port's connections plugged in? An incomplete circuit causing issues for example? It's a standard 20 pin socket. I appreciate any help!

i doubt it would cause any real damage you may have 1 usb work.

Jul 3, 2024
Wow, thanks for the super quick responses! Acknowledged that one of the USB ports would be unusable; I'm wondering if I can at least plug the header in and use the other port without causing any issues. I know it's all low voltage, but I wouldn't want to have an incomplete circuit do anything. That beings aid, all the ground pins are still there, so - good to go?

I am really sorry - I don't have any web photo repos I can upload photos to. All I can say is that, from looking at the picture of the socket, it's definitely pin 3 that's broken. The pinout looks like this:

1 VBUS 11 D2+
2 SSRX1-12 D2-
3 SSRX1+ (broken)13 GND
4 GND14 SSTX2+
5 SSTX1-15 SSTX2-
6 SSTX1+16 GND
7 GND17 SSRX2+
8 D1-18 SSRX2-
9 D1+19 VBUS
10 NC20 NoPin

Wow, thanks for the super quick responses! Acknowledged that one of the USB ports would be unusable; I'm wondering if I can at least plug the header in and use the other port without causing any issues. I know it's all low voltage, but I wouldn't want to have an incomplete circuit do anything. That beings aid, all the ground pins are still there, so - good to go?

I am really sorry - I don't have any web photo repos I can upload photos to. All I can say is that, from looking at the picture of the socket, it's definitely pin 3 that's broken. The pinout looks like this:

1 VBUS11 D2+
2 SSRX1-12 D2-
3 SSRX1+ (broken)13 GND
4 GND14 SSTX2+
5 SSTX1-15 SSTX2-
6 SSTX1+16 GND
7 GND17 SSRX2+
8 D1-18 SSRX2-
9 D1+19 VBUS
10 NC20 NoPin
Ground should be same for both channels so it may work on both.

Jul 3, 2024
It took me a bit to realize it - even if nothing is plugged into the header, whatever current the MB supplies is still there - the same open circuit as if I had something unused plugged into it, providing none of the pins are connected at the front panel port, which I confirmed. So good to go. Thanks all for your responses.

TRENDING THREADS