Broken pins on Athlon 64 X2 4400

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
This has turned into a real nightmare.

The memory test ran for a total of 17 hours. It never stopped. I had to stop it because it has been 17 hours since it started. The only information I was able to get is: CAS 2-5-3-2-5. Did I do something wrong or is it supposed to take 17 hours?

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Just run one pass per slot. It will show errors in red. It never stops. If all is well you will never see any errors.
'

I only did one per slot. I only put one stick of memory in the first orange slot. I didn't do the second memory stick because I was waiting for it to stop. Is this the information that I am looking for: CAS 2-5-3-2-5?

Thanks

conroe

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2006
That's the timings. If you get no errors they will work fine. You may be able to tighten them if your memory is good enough.

All slots work fine? Both sticks work fine alone? Try both sticks in same color slots. That is the best way for them.

End the test after one complete pass, the line on top of the screen.

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
That's the timings. If you get no errors they will work fine. You may be able to tighten them if your memory is good enough.

All slots work fine? Both sticks work fine alone? Try both sticks in same color slots. That is the best way for them.

I don't know if all slots work. I was trying to find out why I can't get both sticks of memory to work in the orange slots. I can get them to work together if I use the first orange slot and the first yellow slot. I can only get one to work in the first orange slot.

pat

Expert

I don't know if all slots work. I was trying to find out why I can't get both sticks of memory to work in the orange slots. I can get them to work together if I use the first orange slot and the first yellow slot. I can only get one to work in the first orange slot.

humm.. which way is supposed to activate dual channel? both of the same color or one of each?

I guess both of the same, because you seems to indicate that it work in different, and single channel is way more forgiving for memory timing errors than dual channel

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

I tried posting a text chart.. I can't seem to do it right.

But from what I see on the DFI manual, for DDR400 memory, if you only have 2 sticks, slots 1 and 3 can only be populated, if they are SS or DD.

If you have 4 sticks all 4 can be used SS or DD modules. Thing is, if they are DD(double side dimm) the speed will be reduced to DDR333 speeds.

linux_0

Splendid
I also need to check the second stick of memory at what point do I stop the memory test.

Thanks

Memtest86 and Memtest86+ will run for ever unless you hit escape to stop the test.

A few hours per DIMM should be enough.

Please document which memory slots produce errors and do not use them.

You could also try to increase your memory timings and see if that yields better results.

Good Luck!

kyleawesome

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
A few comments:

For one, memtest can lock up but continue to count how long the test has been running IF the memory controller isnt working up to par. There is a text field that tells you how many passes the program has performed if you've gotten past 2-3 you should be alright. If you ran it for 17hours and it never said it completed 1 pass, I'd say memory controller errors!

If you get memtest to pass try running a Drive Fitness Test, most manufactures have one you can download from their site, if yours doesnt Hitachi (sp?) has the best univresal DFT in my opinion.

If your hardware passes both of those tests make sure you dont have any RAID options set in the BIOS make sure all options are set to SATA or (E)IDE you might have to look around for different controllers. Because if you have one enabled and dont know it, you obiviously didnt install the RAID drivers when installing windows which will make things wacky.

You shouldnt have to disable boot from CD just change the boot order to have the unit boot from the harddrive first.

If you've done all that and your still erroring out I'd tell you to take it to a local PC shop and see if they can install windows using one of their store use cpu's(if they're a good service shop they'll have SOMETHING that will fit your socket they can throw in there to do the install) if they can get it to go through, pop the 4400 (just swapping out a CPU wont get you, your 7 strikes against windows so dont worry about having to reinstall or reactivate) in and run a few stress tests and see if it errors out in a windows environment. If it does you might be out of luck. If it doesnt then more power to you!

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
First I want to thank everybody for helping me out of this self made nightmare.

I did manage to get windows installed on the system. The big problem is the memory. I can only get one stick of memory to work in the first orange slots or both stick in the first orange and first yellow slot.

My operating system hard drive usually loud so I used the Norton Ghost to copy everything to another drive but the motherboard won't boot to that drive.

I think this motherboard may be a bit too complicated for me. I think I should get rid of this motherboard and try something else but this is coming from a person that can't install a processor without breaking it.

I would really like to know what you all think I should do at this point.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Well.. the broken pins may have alot to do with the memory.

Going by what I remember for that DFI PDF, slots 1 and 3 are the same color, orange. Those 2 sticks would basically be for your 1st and 2nd core.

With the 1 and 2 banks filled, I guess that only gives 1 core all the memory.

As far as ghost... is that a previous installation from another machine? If that is the case, it won't boot since it doesn't have the same drivers for the board.

pat

Expert

Going by what I remember for that DFI PDF, slots 1 and 3 are the same color, orange. Those 2 sticks would basically be for your 1st and 2nd core.

As far as ghost... is that a previous installation from another machine? If that is the case, it won't boot since it doesn't have the same drivers for the board.

OMG... it don't have anything to do with the number of core... it is about dual channel or not.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Doh... I thought it was, but now that you mention dual channel.. :lol: :lol:

Owell.. my bad... That's what colors do to me, when I stare at them too long. :oops:

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
The operating system is not from another system. It's the OS I installed on this system. Shortly after I got the OS installed I noticed that the hard drive is really loud.

Since I broke the processor I don't know if the problems are with the motherboard or the processor. So I don't know which to replace.

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006

OMG... it don't have anything to do with the number of core... it is about dual channel or not.

It's so nice to see you. I hope you are well.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006

So do you think its possible that the pins could be for the memory controller on the chip?

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
The operating system is not from another system. It's the OS I installed on this system. Shortly after I got the OS installed I noticed that the hard drive is really loud.

Since I broke the processor I don't know if the problems are with the motherboard or the processor. So I don't know which to replace.

My bad again... was under the impression that it was a backup, from a previous setup.

Nice to see someone like you who use it(ghost), even though you had bad luck putting a new system together.

Do you think a jewerly shop could fix it? <just had an off the wall thought>

pat

Expert
It seems that there is a problem when running memory in dual channel. Running your system in single channel may mean a 8-10% performance loss depending of the task. It may even be less for some task.

What should you do at this point? It's up to you. Either leave it this way for a while and enjoying it as it is. Or get another board and have it running as it should, if problem is really the board. Or try another kind of memory just in case it could work. But all of these options but the first cost money.

Just to warn you, if you ever happen to remove the heat sink, the CPU will probably come off the socket with the heat sink, so make sure to pull staight to avoid bening the CPU pins.

As for why your other drive don't want to boot up, it can be that it dont have the boot loader installed or the parition is not set as active. You can try to fresh install the OS on that drive but make sure the other drive in not plugged to the system

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I tried to use some Kingston memory in dual channel it did not work. It would only work in the same setup that I have now, both in first orange and yellow or first orange slot only.

I would love to just leave it as it is now but will this system still play games like BF2 and Oblivion.

Also, I noticed that when I put both memory stick in first orange and yellow slots the slave drive disappeared.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Have you tried calling the company you purchased the 4400, and ask them if they could take back (they prolly could refurbish it) and work out some kind of deal for another? Doesn't have to be another 4400.

Its still in working order, since you say you have it running.

spontayo

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
I had this exact problem with my DFI UT Ultra D. I was using 1GB Crucial Ballistix PC3200 ram. I ended up trading it with a guy for a 1gb set of OCZ VXGold PC4000 and my system works great now.

pat

Expert
I tried to use some Kingston memory in dual channel it did not work. It would only work in the same setup that I have now, both in first orange and yellow or first orange slot only.

I would love to just leave it as it is now but will this system still play games like BF2 and Oblivion.

Also, I noticed that when I put both memory stick in first orange and yellow slots the slave drive disappeared.

I'm pretty sure it will play any game you'll want. If you want, you could use something like 3dmark06 (use google to find the download place) and benchmark it, it will give you a rough idea about the performance of your system compared to others.

But ...

What you write about slave drive disappearing in curious.. I'm suspecting something wrong with this board.. Is it still under warranty?

Status
Not open for further replies.