Broken pins on Athlon 64 X2 4400

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

linux_0

Splendid
The DFI nF4 boards are very nice but are also very complicated.

The board will probably work with 2 sticks in single channel based on what I've read so far, while that's not ideal if it works -- hey great!

It would be great if you could buy, borrow, or otherwise appropriate a 3000+ or 3200+ to test with to eliminate the CPU as a suspect.

Oblivion should work fine on a 3200+ with a really nice VGA since it is a GPU hog rather than a CPU hog.

What state are you from by the way?

Hi

I'm in Florida.

Thanks

Doh!!!

Unfortunately you're out of range :-( My AO is the great lakes.

The DFI is a great board but if you're looking to get something easier to configure I would suggest an ASUS nF4.

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
This is really weird. I can't clear the CMOS. I unplugged the system and took the battery out and even that didn't clear the CMOS. The system will work with both sticks of memory in the first two slots but it will not run stable I am getting a blue screen and machine Check exception.

pat

Expert
This is really weird. I can't clear the CMOS. I unplugged the system and took the battery out and even that didn't clear the CMOS. The system will work with both sticks of memory in the first two slots but it will not run stable I am getting a blue screen and machine Check exception.

And what abou the kingston memory stick you tried?

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Another problem.

On the DFI forum I tried to get help. I was told to do a memory test and I did. The memory had no errors but the only help DFI is willing to give me in none. They want me to RMA the memory and then come back. I don’t get it, if the memory passed the memory test why would they think that something is wrong with the memory.

The Kingston memory did the exact same thing. It would only work in the first orange slot and the first two slots.

linux_0

Splendid

Did you try the CLEAR CMOS/BIOS jumper?

Typically

1-2 = normal operation

2-3 = reset

the jumper is usually located right next to the Lithium battery.

pat

Expert
Another problem.

On the DFI forum I tried to get help. I was told to do a memory test and I did. The memory had no errors but the only help DFI is willing to give me in none. They want me to RMA the memory and then come back. I don’t get it, if the memory passed the memory test why would they think that something is wrong with the memory.

The Kingston memory did the exact same thing. It would only work in the first orange slot and the first two slots.

that is very strange indeed.. what if you run the CPU with 1.45v instead of 1.40V?

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006

Did you try the CLEAR CMOS/BIOS jumper?

Typically

1-2 = normal operation

2-3 = reset

the jumper is usually located right next to the Lithium battery.

I tried that first. When that didn't work I removed the battery.

pat

Expert

By the way, clearing the BIOS don't erase everything. it simply put the BIOS back to default settings. is that what you meant?

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yes.

I have everything out of the case. I tried to change the memory speed to 133 but I didn't have the option only 200 and above.

Thanks

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yes.

I have everything out of the case. I tried to change the memory speed to 133 but I didn't have the option only 200 and above.

Thanks

200 might be 100 DDR. so, if you read 266, 333 and 400, then try 333.

I just want to make sure I have this correct.

1. clear CMOS
2. change FSB frequency to 333
3. Add second stick of memory in the second orange slot

?

pat

Expert
Yes.

Thanks

1. clear CMOS

?

boost ram voltage to 2.7v-2.8v
disable any instances of RAID for both SATA and PATA
why not boost CPU voltage by 0.05 (not excedding 1.50v)

by the way, you don't leave the computer on while changing memory sticks..Just to make sure :wink:

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Yes.

Thanks

1. clear CMOS

?

boost ram voltage to 2.7v-2.8v
disable any instances of RAID for both SATA and PATA
why not boost CPU voltage by 0.05 (not excedding 1.50v)

by the way, you don't leave the computer on while changing memory sticks..Just to make sure :wink:

LOL
BRB

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
On DFI forums they insist that the problem is the memory. I don’t think it’s the memory. I think I should get rid of the motherboard and Run back to good old Gigabyte or Asus. If I keep this board much longer I will be stuck with it. What do you guys think?

pat

Expert
It didn't work. Back to square one.

I have no more idea..

If the cpu is really damaged, then you won't be able to get it warranted..
The motherboard is really suspicious to me, acording to what you told me
RAM might be defecives, but you already tried different brand

Me.. and it is me... I would return the motherboard. I'd just buy a cheap one to test component to see if everythins is fine.

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
I thinking about returning the motherboard to Newegg then have a new board sent to me overnight. I don’t want to buy a cheap board because if it turns out to be the processor then I am stuck having to buy a new motherboard and processor.

I can't use super glue because I don't have the missing pins.

pat

Expert
I thinking about returning the motherboard to Newegg then have a new board sent to me overnight. I don’t want to buy a cheap board because if it turns out to be the processor then I am stuck having to buy a new motherboard and processor.

I can't use super glue because I don't have the missing pins.

Wise move.. if you don't have to get another dfi back in return. getting a nice one instead will, as you say, save you trouble.

As for the broken pins, are you really sure they are broken, not missing by purpose?

Pins aren't that fragile, and would bend 90% of the time before breaking.

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
The pins are gone. They were bent when I tried to fixed them they fell off and they were so small I couldn't find them.

I need a motherboard any suggestions?

pat

Expert
The pins are gone. They were bent when I tried to fixed them they fell off and they were so small I couldn't find them.

yup.. effectively.. so small...

I need a motherboard any suggestions?

Based on my personnal experience, the best trouble free motherboard I got was the Gigabyte k8nf-9. I had no problem setting up this board in 3 or 4 systems..

It is not the most featured motherboard out there, but a plain stable and easy to setup one with good performance.

Do you have some special feature you would like?

girlD6

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Gigabyte 8KNXP, 1.x

That was the best motherboard for me. I would that motherboard with PCI-E on it.

This DFI motherboard has everything on it that I want another PCI slot would have been great. As for special features I want something that I can grow with. I don't want to do this again for a long time.

pat

Expert
Gigabyte 8KNXP, 1.x

That was the best motherboard for me. I would that motherboard with PCI-E on it.

This DFI motherboard has everything on it that I want another PCI slot would have been great. As for special features I want something that I can grow with. I don't want to do this again for a long time.

You can check Gigabyte line of socket 939 motherboard. There is equivalent to the dfi in term of feature, but I don't have any first hand experience with them, other than the k8nf-9

I currently have an Asrock motherboard.. and I'm quite pleased with it ..

I've worked with A8n-e too with good success too.

Status
Not open for further replies.