Brother Control Center not working

Spideyplox

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
When I try to open control center 3 it just shows a blank white image with the outline shape of CC3. If i right click on it I see a movie not loaded message. I know that it requires adobe flash to function, which I have but I don't know if it's configured properly. I tried looking through flash settings and internet options in control panel to see if maybe active x is being blocked but after spending several hours trying all kinds of things and googling Ive found nothing that helps.

I should note that it was working fine until I completely reset windows due to another problem.

OS is windows 10 64

any ideas would be appreciated.

Spideyplox

Reputable
Nov 17, 2015
I was using it mostly to scan things on occasion but now that you mention it I could just use windows fax and scan. I would just like to know why it's not working at this point when it was working fine prior.

Noor_3

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
I'm having the exact same problem as of this week, also on Windows 10 64 bit. I, however, have not had to do a Windows reset or anything like that - last time I used Brother Control Center3 was two weeks ago and it worked fine, and today - same exact issue as you're having. I'm wondering if a Flash update came out in the interim that broke it or something? That is the only thing I can think of that might be different between then and now.

If anyone has an answer, you'd be helping at least two of us out! Thanks.

bearley_al

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Same here - after a couple of hours playing with restore, I always got back to the same place, white outline; no CC3.
Here's my fix - worked out the problem is linked to the Adobe Flash update so this is what I did:
Uninstalled Adobe flash v20-ish
Loaded up CC3 and reconfigure to "Classic" rather than "Modern" "Skin" - Basically than means square buttons and a drop down menu type interface - the round buttons that dance around in the circle are GONE!
Reboot - for good measure
Reinstall Flash
If its all stuck you should be able to operate CC3 - just its a little more basic
Good Luck!

Fischreiher

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Sounds good, but even after uninstalling Adobe Flash, or after installing old version 19, I still see only the white outline, and I have no clue how I can switch to classic view.

Maybe there is a setting file I could edit, but I haven't been able to locate it yet.

Fischreiher

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
When right-clicking the blank window, it still offers "Info on Flash 20.0.0.228" - it seems to remember the Flash version.
Yes, I have verified that I have downgraded to v19.

jim_c1

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
Short cut method to get to classic style

Using Regedit, change the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Brother\ControlCenter\3.0\Common\Config\SelectedSkin from "ModernStyle" to "ClassicStyle".

May need to logout/login again after this. Reboot should not be necessary.

badshah9

Reputable
Dec 13, 2015
I was getting puzzled by this too and was attributing it to my new monitor that I had just connected to the PC last week! I removed and reinstalled ControlCenter, only to find that the issue persisted. I fidgeted with the monitor settings but couldn't get it to work. Hence I looked at the previous monitor that I had now fitted to my laptop and was surprised to find that even there I had the same issue! What a bummer! That's when I searched and bumped into this page and it clicked to me that yes it could be the Flash. And indeed, after I uninstalled Adobe Flash, I was able to at least get the classic interface working. What a strange one this was.

Like the previous post, I would suggest updating the registry to classic style. I just uninstalled Adobe Flash v20 (noticed that it was updated 4 days ago after which it must have messed up the CC3) and got it back.

Hope others are able to find this and fix the problem.

grover1

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
After uninstalling and reinstalling the software, mine still had the whiteout problem. All of this started after my windows 7 updated the other night with about 21 automatic updates.

Opening up the regedit and changing it to classic style worked for me too. Thanks so much!!

Steve 1

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015

Today and after 4 PC's, 6 years and 3 Windows OS (now W7), is the first time that the CC3 pop up window appears on blank!!!

Also with right button appears the version About Adobe...version... 20......

I've uninstalled and installed again the Brother's suit... and it is the same!!. The skin I've used is the "modern" one, w/o no problems up to date.

It could be an Adobe's fault but also Microsoft with its continuing background updates (?)

JimPJr

Reputable
Dec 14, 2015
I sat on hold with Brother for 90 minutes. It's a Java issue they are trying to rectify. Classic Skin still works.

Go to C:\Program Files\Brother\ControlCenter3\Skin . You'll have 2 files, Xlassic style & Modern Style. Cut Modern Style, paste it in the ControlCenter3 folder so that only ClassicStyle is in the Skin folder. Restart the computer.

When you activate COntrol Center, the original CC3 will come up. Use that until they correct the Java conflict. Good luck!

Jim

Benjaminpal

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014
Hello,

The reason of the failure is an microsoft update KB3119147 witch is an Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player.
When you remove this update everething works again. Then you hide this update when it shows up again so it wil not be installed again.

wpialum81

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015
Removed the Microsoft update 9147, rebooted and back to where we were. Kudos to benjaminpal and those who got to the bottom of this. This was a bit of a head scratcher...

HawkHogan

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015

Make sure you close the Control Center from the task tray before you make this change, or it will revert it back to ModernStyle. Otherwise, all you need to do is edit the Key and then start CC3 again

Joel Ng

Reputable
Dec 15, 2015

This solution works great. I even didn't need to log out/ restart...Thanks Jim-c1.
Now just wait for new security update for IE flash player then revert to ModernStyle to see what'll happen.

Zobbie C

Reputable
Sep 4, 2014
Easy fix thanks to the helpful advice here:

Using Regedit, change the key
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Brother\ControlCenter\3.0\Common\Config\SelectedSkin from "ModernStyle" to "ClassicStyl

pgomez

Reputable
Dec 17, 2015

Well... I did passed this step of starting the program but I was not able to scan, telling me about rights to write in folder.... I changed folder, checked my rights to that folder (I'm admin), tried to save in different formats, set program to start as admin, etc, to no avail. Something definatly got corrupted or updated and program can'T follow. My fix: I installed a freeware called "Not Another PDF Scanner 2", set it to TWAIN, selected my scanner and native interface: voilà. Less of a hassle this way and everything is working fine.

Gary_28

Reputable
Dec 18, 2015

THANK YOU THANK YOU ! YOU SAVED MY DAY - HAD VERY IMPORTANT PAPERS TO SCAN