Bruce Willis Isn't Suing Apple About His iTunes Collection

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
my digital music collection always gets purchased on cd, there is no substitute for hard copy and it's lower quality digitization into mp3 or other lesser formats can always be done. and i have user rights granted for that no matter what.

go ahead by your low quality media from iCrapple or else where, you deserve every bit of enslavement you pay them to dish out to you by agreeing to their terms when better terms and rights on this have existed for well over 50 years, as Samuel Adams once said:
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]classzero[/nom]Optical media is going away, computers are no longer being equipped with them. I agree this is the best solution, but everyone including majority of Toms users say optical media is dead (CD DVD/Blu-ray)[/citation]
it's been dead since usb memory storage and sd cards prices have dropped, and capacity has risen in such blueray is but joke , like 8 track, with all of 8tracks same problems.

cburke82

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2011
you dont need cd/blue ray to pass on your music. You can just grap a free converter and convert all of your I Tunes files to a non apple format of your choosing and store them on a hard drive or with bruces money a huge ssd lol. Then you can pass that on to as many people as you would like.

[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]it's been dead since usb memory storage and sd cards prices have dropped, and capacity has risen in such blueray is but joke , like 8 track, with all of 8tracks same problems.[/citation]

Flash hasn't killed any of that completely because it's too expensive per GB. DVDs and Blu-Ray disks are still the way for a lot of digital media. Flash has potential, but it needs to get cheaper if it is to truly replace optical disk storage. There are already several multi-TB disk technologies in the works and if they can be mass produced cheaper than flash anytime soon, then they can slow down flash's advance on their markets greatly.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
When I die I want to be buried in a giant underground tomb that will hold all of my worldly possessions and all my wealth. So, I'll be sure to state in my will to make physical back-ups of all my digital possessions to take with me as well.

I don't believe I take anything in the after-life with me, In-fact I don't even believe in a after-life, I'm just a petty asshole. Nobody is going to profit from my death.... nobody...

raytseng

Honorable
May 15, 2012
If anyone has seen an interview with Bruce Willis (on letterman for example) you know he's a jokester and don't take what he says literally. Imagine a slightly more sane Tracy Morgan/Jordan.

I probably think there was a grain of truth and he probably said this, but off the cuff, and maybe literally rofl-ing in success of trolling the whole internet/blogosphere by having a beef with an innane non-issue.

Purpose of trolling is to keep people distracted or worked up over nonsense, and inane issues, so 5 out of 5 for this one. It is right up there along with voter fraud and making sure US doesn't follow sharia law.

Even demi mentioned in the past that ironically, Ashton kutcher is the responsible male figure in that family.

Here he is plugging die hard 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GH92jgzgDmk

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]chronium[/nom]Companies won't know when you die so all you have to do is leave your user name and password in the will.[/citation]
My thoughts exactly.

Razec69

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
[citation][nom]cburke82[/nom]you dont need cd/blue ray to pass on your music. You can just grap a free converter and convert all of your I Tunes files to a non apple format of your choosing and store them on a hard drive or with bruces money a huge ssd lol. Then you can pass that on to as many people as you would like.[/citation]

See this is the thing. A majority of us here know this. I for a fact know that all my songs I have on CD that I have ripped to my own computer for my own personal use is legally bought and put on my media players.

BUT the one bad thing is with the terms of service on lets say iTunes or AmazonMP3 you don't own the rights to those songs you bought and downloaded.

You legally can't convert them and use them for personal use or hand them down to anyone. It is typically non-transferable and nonexclusive to you, and you only.

By a legal stand point you can't do these things. But by a technical and physical stand point you can do whatever the hell you want, up until the government primarily the RIAA finds out and they take you to court.

bourne077

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]markheber[/nom]I have a lifetime club membership and several lifetime warranties that will not transfer to my kids when I die. I own the membership not the service. I don't see that this is any different.[/citation]

Actually I see this as quite different. You're not purchasing a service or membership you're purchasing a product the song/album. It is no different than walking into a store and purchasing the exact same "product" the only "difference" is physical or digital, but either way you look at it you purchased a product.

kilthas_th

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
Ironically, a lot of forum goers at places I frequent complain about stuff like this all the time. However, they are the same people that also bitch about trust fund babies and who argue that wealth shouldn't transfer from one generation to the next.

In any case, you can pay for iTunes Plus tracks, which increase costs a bit, but allows legal copies, have no DRM, and are free from the standard usage restrictions (5 devices, limited playlist burning, etc).

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
Who cares! Like kids are going to listen to their parents collections, or their grandparents collections. The collection is practically worthless outside of the owners peers who'll be dying about the same time.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]markheber[/nom]I have a lifetime club membership and several lifetime warranties that will not transfer to my kids when I die. I own the membership not the service. I don't see that this is any different.[/citation]
The point here is that you can buy The white Album by The Beatles on Vinyl, CD and download via iTunes, they all cost the same, but when I die the Vinyl and the CD are handed over to my kids in my will, however the iTunes version just disappears.
I for one will be editing my will to give my username and passwords for various things to my kids, then they can log in and listen to music, play Steam games, whatever. At least with Steam games you can "gift" them to other people so in effect they are transferable, so iTunes needs to do this too.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]Who cares! Like kids are going to listen to their parents collections, or their grandparents collections. The collection is practically worthless outside of the owners peers who'll be dying about the same time.[/citation]
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard, good music is timeless, there are kids in college today that still listen to Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones, The Who, The Monkees, Pink Floyd, Velvet Underground, Led Zeppelin, The Doors, The Beach Boys and Bob Dylan - and that is just from the 60's when some college kids parents weren't even born yet.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
you can always digitally record the music...all you need is an input source, also you can burn it on a cd or dvd....it's not very hard at all

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]lightningfork2012[/nom]Before, the CDs you buy can be given out as gifts or handed down to kids, it should be the same for digital stuff since "you bought it." Plain and simple.[/citation]

Seems so, right?
Well, I was told that (by someone who has an iDevice), on the iTunes TOS it states that you legally 'borrow' the copy of a media from its publisher. You never get to own a file. Fishy crap like this is what makes the world hate RIAA and other similar.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I think people should have the option to pass on thousands of dollars worth of music when they die, just like ANY purchases.

That said, the music industry deliberately calls it a license and would simply say something like "you can't pass on your driver's license, so you can't pass on your music license." As lame as it is, it will never change. It would be interesting if someone took them to court over it.

azraa

Honorable
Jul 3, 2012
[citation][nom]nurgletheunclean[/nom]Who cares! Like kids are going to listen to their parents collections, or their grandparents collections. The collection is practically worthless outside of the owners peers who'll be dying about the same time.[/citation]
I agree AND disagree.

We, or most of us, were raised in the 90's. We were raised with the music of our parents, and probably most of us has an inheritated love of 70s music. That was music, for damn sure, I still listen to some oldies when we have meet ups with friends here, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc and it is good times. This is contrary to what you say, there IS music that is relevant and will continue to be relevant.

However, we dont know how music will evolve. Today, most of the music industry is riddled with pop crap and wannabe kiddies. There is only a handful of truly worthy bands, bands that produce actual goo music. If in 2060 I have to leave a legacy to my kids, it will NOT be one direction, or jonas brothers or whatever crap is out there today. What I mean is that music's future is bleak, there is little talent today and I doubt in the future whis will improve. If so, maybe inheritating media library to descendants might no be really important.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]azraa[/nom]I agree AND disagree.We, or most of us, were raised in the 90's. We were raised with the music of our parents, and probably most of us has an inheritated love of 70s music. That was music, for damn sure, I still listen to some oldies when we have meet ups with friends here, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc and it is good times. This is contrary to what you say, there IS music that is relevant and will continue to be relevant.However, we dont know how music will evolve. Today, most of the music industry is riddled with pop crap and wannabe kiddies. There is only a handful of truly worthy bands, bands that produce actual goo music. If in 2060 I have to leave a legacy to my kids, it will NOT be one direction, or jonas brothers or whatever crap is out there today. What I mean is that music's future is bleak, there is little talent today and I doubt in the future whis will improve. If so, maybe inheritating media library to descendants might no be really important.[/citation]
I don't really like One Direction (and definitely not Justin Bieber), but I do think that bands like Daughtry, Coldplay, Matchbox Twenty, One Republic, and the Goo Goo Dolls are good. You just have to ignore some of it.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]markheber[/nom]I have a lifetime club membership and several lifetime warranties that will not transfer to my kids when I die. I own the membership not the service. I don't see that this is any different.[/citation]"Lifetime warranty or membership" is something quite different than a purchased product. If perhaps you had an iTunes account that you paid monthly for, and could listen to x number of songs per month, that would not be transferable. In this case though, they are purchasing individual products, not memberships. They pay for each one individually and are unable to give them away because some genius thought he'd call it a "license" instead.

Someone above also pointed out that you can walk into a store and buy the same product which you can then gift to someone.

How can you possible see these two things as the same?

Status
Not open for further replies.