Namazzip

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2013
My brother tried to log onto my computer to play games and said it blue screened as he tried to click on his profile. Im getting a “stop code: SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED” when I start up my PC. The only thing I can remember that I’ve changed changed recently is I overclocked my CPU in order to run a next gen game. Im unsure if any other updates or recently added/changed files could be causing this issue.

Auto recovery gives an “Error code: 0xc000000”, I can not boot windows through safe mode, and system repair notes “Log file: G:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt”.

I’ve also tried changing around my RAM to see if a stick had died and reverting my CPU overclock to base values. I’ve heard it could be a driver issue but i have no clue how to access my drivers or figure out which ones could be at fault.

I’d be happy to provide any more info if needed. Thank you!

Solution
G:\WINDOWS\System32\Logfiles\Srt\SrtTrail.txt”.

your drive letters got reassigned. your copy of windows is now on drive G:
and it should be on drive C:

You have to boot on another version of windows and reassign the drive letters back to the correct assignments.
if you have a DVD and a windows install on DVD you can boot to a command prompt and attempt the fix
or you will have to make a usb windows install thumbdrive you can boot to a command prompt and attempt the fix.

this kind of explains the fix process
How to Assign and Remove Drive Letter with Diskpart in Windows 10, 8, 7?

it is not exactly correct but if you can get your G: assigned to C: you should be able to boot.
The last person I helped with this found that the...

You have to boot on another version of windows and reassign the drive letters back to the correct assignments.
if you have a DVD and a windows install on DVD you can boot to a command prompt and attempt the fix
or you will have to make a usb windows install thumbdrive you can boot to a command prompt and attempt the fix.

it is not exactly correct but if you can get your G: assigned to C: you should be able to boot.
The last person I helped with this found that the drive letter assignment would go back to the bad assignments when he rebooted after he did the fix.

Solution

The last person I helped with this found that the drive letter assignment would go back to the bad assignments when he rebooted after he did the fix.
If the log was generated from the Windows Recovery Environment, the partition where Windows was installed is no longer C:, the RE gets C: and the Windows install gets whatever's next down the list.

TRENDING THREADS