Question BSOD a few minutes after booting up ?

Jun 5, 2023
Hello, everybody. I'm having this strange problem that only seems to occur every once in a while where I'd encounter a BSOD only a few minutes after getting past the Windows 10 login screen. I'd leave the room, come back, and notice that the computer ran into a problem and had to restart. I've tried to replicate it by restarting a couple dozen times, and nothing. I've even shut off the computer entirely, waited a bit, then turned it on again, and still: nothing. It doesn't even happen every boot, not by a mile: the last two times it's happened have been separated by about a month, and the first time before those was nearly two years ago, it's very strange. And stranger still, the first time it was attributed to my anti-virus, according to WhoCrashed, at least. Speaking of which, here is the WhoCrashed info:

DESKTOP-L0Q0BU0
Windows version: Windows 10, 10.0, version 2004, build: 19041 (x64)
Windows dir: C:\Windows
Hardware: 11A9001GUS, LENOVO, 3148
CPU: AuthenticAMD AMD Ryzen 3 PRO 3200G with Radeon Vega Graphics 8664, level: 23
Processor count: 4 logical processors, active mask: 15
RAM: 6068.1MB

On Mon 6/5/2023 10:18:49 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\060523-42859-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x50(0xFFFFE0043E73E020, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8047760DB90, 0x0)
Bugcheck name: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced. This can be caused by a faulty driver. Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume. It can also be caused by faulty hardware, (in particular faulty or overheated RAM or video RAM) or an overheated system component.
Analysis: This is likely a software problem which means that it was probably caused by a bug in a driver.
There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues

On Mon 6/5/2023 10:18:49 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP (Kernel memory dump)
Bugcheck code: 0x50(0xFFFFE0043E73E020, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8047760DB90, 0x0)
Bug check description: This indicates that invalid system memory has been referenced. This can be caused by a faulty driver. Antivirus software can also trigger this error, as can a corrupted NTFS volume. It can also be caused by faulty hardware, (in particular faulty or overheated RAM or video RAM) or an overheated system component.
Analysis: This is likely a software problem which means that it was probably caused by a bug in a driver.
There is a possibility that this is caused by memory corruption. Memory corruption can be caused by a faulty driver, faulty RAM, overheating and more. Read this article on memory corruption. Read this article on thermal issues

On Tue 5/2/2023 10:29:08 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\050223-39546-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x50(0xFFFFB28EF2B42030, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8066BA0DB90, 0x0)

On Tue 12/21/2021 9:55:59 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported

Crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\122121-32359-01.dmp (Minidump)
Bugcheck code: 0x50(0xFFFF818CB20A8030, 0x0, 0xFFFFF8024460DB90, 0x0)

Conclusion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5 crash dumps have been found and analyzed. A third party driver has been identified to be causing system crashes on your computer. It is strongly suggested that you check for updates for these drivers on their company websites. Click on the links below to search with Google for updates for these drivers:

atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

If no updates for these drivers are available, try searching with Google on the names of these drivers in combination with the errors that have been reported for these drivers. Include the brand and model name of your computer as well in the query. This often yields interesting results from discussions on the web by users who have been experiencing similar problems.

Read the suggestions displayed in the bugcheck analysis above.

Note that it's not always possible to state with certainty whether a reported driver is responsible for crashing your system or that the root cause is in another module. Nonetheless it's suggested you look for updates for the products that these drivers belong to and regularly visit Windows update or enable automatic updates for Windows. In case a piece of malfunctioning hardware is causing trouble, a search with Google on the bug check errors together with the model name and brand of your computer may help you investigate this further.
The analysis process took 0:00:21 (h:mm:ss).

This is all very strange to me. Usually my son helps me with this kind of thing, but that's not really an option right now. Anyway, I thought I'd add a few links to the dump files in case anybody wants to see them.

Like I said, it's only happened a handful of times so far and it isn't really repeatable so far as I can see. From what I've read it's usually a driver issue. I appreciate any help, thanks.

Edit: not sure why it's not being displayed there now, but the first time this happened back in '21 WhoCrashed said Norton was to blame.

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2023
All three dumps are the same, although the third dump nails the cause of your BSODs - the Norton/Symantec product you unwisely have installed. You should either look for an update to your Norton product or, better still, uninstall it.
Ah, I see. Thank you, ubuysa. I have been planning to uninstall Norton anyway—I have grown tired of their fearmongering and desperate attempts at upselling. At this point it's basically adware. I just didn't want to assume that because Norton caused the first BSOD back in 2021, that they were responsible for the others as well. Especially since for some reason WhoCrashed never pointed the finger at Norton again, despite the circumstances of every BSOD being identical to that first time. WhoCrashed has just basically played dumb since then, it's weird.

I've also read that my PSU could cause something like this if it has only ever happened on boot, never on restart, but I figured that doesn't really make sense considering how the BSODs have been spread so far apart that power issues probably would've resulted in more consistent blue screens by now.

It's always the same issue, too: page fault in non-paged area. Probably something related to Norton updating/changing something that requires a restart to take hold, then screwing it up on a cold boot because I don't usually restart my computer anyway, I just shut it down for the night.

I just want to be thorough before writing off the more recent BSODs. I'm not surprised that the oldest info from 2021 implicates Norton, so does that mean it's safe to assume the newer crash info does the same when only the oldest report mentions Norton?

Last edited:

ubuysa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2016
I have over the years seen all third-party anti-malware tools cause BSODs. TBH in Windows 10/11 you don't need a third-party anti-malware tool, Windows Firewall and Windows Defender are perfectly fine - they are all I use.

Reactions: triage