Question BSOD after PSU upgrade and Memtest fails ?

Syndragy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
Hey guys, this is related to this past thread if some context is needed going back to around this February.

Basically the crashes got really bad this past 2-3 days, to the point where I’m trying to boot my pc for 2 hours with no luck. (monitor goes black, keyboard/mouse rgb and functions off, fans in case stay on, power/reset button does nothing). 90% of the time, the crashes occurred during heavy load; very few instances of crashing with just a few tabs of google chrome open (YouTube).
Only way for me to reboot after that crash is hitting the PSU kill switch off and on until my peripherals show a sign of….light; sometimes it takes one, but sometimes it’ll take me up to two hours.

Did some digging through event viewer’s crash logs and it appear my critical errors were caused by (70368744177664). (2), which is apparently related to either fast startup, drivers and updates, cpu overclocks, bios version, ram, and psu.

Figured my ram was good since I’ve only had it since last August, and the PSU/SSD was my only unknown on age, so I got a new PSU and installed it. (EVGA W1 600W)

THIS IS WHERE THE NEW ISSUES COME

First boot with the new PSU, I get BSOD, pc restarts and BSOD again after attempting automatic repairs. Usually crashing a few seconds into manufacturer’s logo.

Codes I were getting: Oxc000021a (80% of the time), Oxc0000221, Oxc0000098, SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED, and SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED (Ntfs.sys sometimes or not specified).
Note: when BSOD restarted the pc automatically, my monitor would just be black, peripherals off, but case/cpu fans would stay on until I manually restarted the pc.

Hour or two of that goes on, I then try to reset everything through Windows Recovery Environment and it will BSOD during that as well.

Got my flash drive ready for a fresh Windows install (at this point I expect my SSD is toast). BSOD while going through the set up.

Removed one stick from B2 slot and booted from USB again, WORKED and reinstalled windows successfully. Tried booting with only the removed stick and same crashes occurred while attempting to boot (tried all dimm slots).

With my one stick installed (A2), I was able to install all of my drivers through windows update and GeForce, but some more BSOD (KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED) happened while trying to install things like Steam, Escape from Tarkov, Logitech GHub, and I think WinRar one time.
LATEST BIOS VERSION.

Tried reinstalling windows through desktop and got error’d out of creation tool (0x80070570-0x90002)

Now currently I’m running memtest86, failed on the “working” stick with over 10,000 errors one hour into the passes.
Haven’t tested the “bad” stick individually yet, but I’m testing with both sticks installed as I am typing this and so far it’s 3 passes in with 0 errors.

So now I am really confused on what is going on as individually my only stick that could boot successfully fails memtest horrendously, but is testing fine with the other stick installed as well (so far).

What do you guys think of my situation? I’m really scratching my head over here..

All parts prior to the PSU swap are less than a year old, exception to PSU and SSD.
Temps sitting around 80-84C during heavy load/crashes.
Failed individual memtest, pass paired.
No overclocking anywhere was done.

Specs:
Motherboard - MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus
CPU - Ryzen 5 5600x
PSU - EVGA W1 600W
GPU - EVGA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3600
Motherboard - MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus ATX
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
the PSU/SSD was my only unknown on age, so I got a new PSU and installed it. (EVGA W1 600W)
If the EVGA unit listed above is new, we will need to know what the age of the older unit(Antec True Power 750W) was, to identify a possibility that the unit might've left a mark on your platform.

Got my flash drive ready for a fresh Windows install (at this point I expect my SSD is toast). BSOD while going through the set up.
+
Tried reinstalling windows through desktop and got error’d out of creation tool (0x80070570-0x90002)

Might want to use a donor system to rule out your platform being the culprit when creating your installer. Speaking of installers, might want to also source another pen drive to rule out a glitchy pen drive. If you want verify the integrity of your SSD, take it over to a donor system, remove all drives connected to donor system, having your SSD installed, try and install the OS using newly created installer on the donor system. If the install goes fine, your issue is not the SSD or the installer. Migrate the SSD and installer to your platform and then try reinstalling the OS using the two aforementioned hardware.

LATEST BIOS VERSION.
This is where you mention the version for your BIOS.

Also, might be a good idea to source(not buy) a PSU that's higher in pedigree than the W1 unit and has at least650W of power for the entire system to rule a PSU being glitchy. EVGA unit's have been known to harbor bad units within their own top tier lineup of PSU's.

Reactions: Syndragy

Syndragy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
UPDATE: After memtest passed dual channel, I decided to try booting with both sticks of ram again (A2, B2) and it worked as it should, BUT only difference is that bios is stating my ram is running at base speeds of 2133, instead of 3600.
So far I’ve been downloading and installing prior software and such for the past 2-3 hours with no issues; funny business.

Syndragy

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2014
If the EVGA unit listed above is new, we will need to know what the age of the older unit(Antec True Power 750W) was, to identify a possibility that the unit might've left a mark on your platform.

-Yep, new. Age of prior PSU is unknown, I bought it secondhand from a local. NewEgg says it was first released in 2009 o_O. I’ve had it installed in my setup for just about over a year.

Might want to use a donor system to rule out your platform being the culprit when creating your installer. Speaking of installers, might want to also source another pen drive to rule out a glitchy pen drive. If you want verify the integrity of your SSD, take it over to a donor system, remove all drives connected to donor system, having your SSD installed, try and install the OS using newly created installer on the donor system. If the install goes fine, your issue is not the SSD or the installer. Migrate the SSD and installer to your platform and then try reinstalling the OS using the two aforementioned hardware.

- If issues persist, I will definitely run these tests first thing tomorrow. My SSD was the second unknown when it comes to age, other than release date. And good call on the pen drive…that thing has been my go to windows installer for 10+ years. Will update if

This is where you mention the version for your BIOS.

- 7C56v1B, released on the fourth of this month.

Also, might be a good idea to source(not buy) a PSU that's higher in pedigree than the W1 unit and has at least650W of power for the entire system to rule a PSU being glitchy. EVGA unit's have been known to harbor bad units within their own top tier lineup of PSU's.

- Noted. Cheers for the insight

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Titan
I share Lutfij's PSU concern. Can you put the old one back in for now? I'd almost prefer that 13-year-old PSU to a new EVGA W1, which is a very low-quality, group-regulated PSU that has no business being in anything but a basic office system from 2006. It would be best to get something functional and completely eliminate the PSU as an issue rather than simply make a new PSU issue.