[SOLVED] BSOD always after Windows Update KB5004476

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 16, 2021
I have now tried everything that can be found on the Internet in terms of solutions, but I cannot get rid of the BSOD. When do I have the BSOD? I "only" have it when I install Windows Update KB5004476 (Windows 10 inevitably enforces this update), which was provided at the beginning of June 2021. When shutting down after installation, it proceeds the update up to exactly 30%, then carries out the restart and this always ends in the BSOD, which initially only shows "Page Fault In Nonpaged Area" as an error message. The driver "ntoskrnl.exe" is stated as the cause in the minidump (https://www.mediafire.com/file/19nop9c7dw64ik8/Minidump.zip/file). Then I have to start in Safe Mode, which removes the Windows Update. The PC starts normally until the loop starts again with the next forced update KB5004476.

What have I done without success so far? RAM tested (no errors), exchanged one after another, plugged in, etc. Tried all "page file" solutions. Windows update repair with the onboard tool. Windows update cache cleaned up. All device drivers updated (no error messages in the Device Manager). Mainboard BIOS is on the latest firmware version. No overclocking. SSD and HDD checked multiple times (CHKDSK and SFC Scan) without any error. I downloaded the update KB5004476 manually from the Windows catalog and installed it offline. I have never installed 3rd party antivirus software on this system, I only use the one integrated with Windows 10.

I do not know how to continue. The computer runs flawlessly and has so far accepted all Windows updates without any problems. No new hardware has been added in a year. In July 2020 only the graphics card was replaced by an NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super. I suspect some driver conflict. Maybe someone sees something in the minidump that I don't see.

Last edited:
Solution
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/5zd7h0nk/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:061621-35187-01.dmp (Jun 16 2021 - 06:31:07)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ArcCtrl.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

ArcCtrl.sys was likely responsible for the crash.

BIOS info was not...

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause

right click start button
choose powershell (admin)
type SFC /scannow and press enter
once its completed, copy/paste this command into same window:

Repair-WindowsImage -Online -RestoreHealth and press enter

SFC fixes system files, second command cleans image files, re run SFC if it failed to fix all files and restart PC

which version of win 10

1. right click start
  2. choose run...
  3. type winver and press enter
  4. current version is 21H1

i can't read dumps but will send link to a friend who can convert them for me.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/5zd7h0nk/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.

File information:061621-35187-01.dmp (Jun 16 2021 - 06:31:07)
Bugcheck:PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for ArcCtrl.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)

BIOS info was not included in the dump file. This can sometimes mean an outdated BIOS is being used.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
well, thats obvious, its named

question is, what is it
Aug 21 2013ArcCtrl.sys(ArcSoft, Inc.)

ArcSoft Total Media Theatre 6 Driver
looks like uninstall is only option. Doesn't appear to be anything newer than 6.

Status
Not open for further replies.