Question BSOD and Crashing issues, cannot find cause

Sep 6, 2022
I have tried what seems like everything (that I have found) and for the life of me cannot find a solution to my blue screen problem.

First, I'll explain the problem. I keep getting a blue screen on windows, followed by a crash, and then a restart. Occasionally that restart turns into the windows troubleshooting menu but most of the time it's a normal restart back to my desktop. The blue screen stays there for maybe 2 seconds, so I don't have time to see any details.

As far as what I've tried. First, a reinstall of windows. That "fixed" the issue for a day or two, but then it happened again.

I checked all my drives, using Crystal disk info and windows itself, both reported all my drives in good health. Windows is loaded on an NVME SSD that is no more than 4 years old as well, so I wouldn't think that would be failing so soon.

I've tried each one of my RAM sticks independently to try and boot my computer up. I have two pairs, an 8gb pair, and a 4gb. Each pair is identical to it's partner. I figured if it was a bad stick, the computer wouldn't boot. One stick was doing exactly that, so I figured I'd found the culprit, if only I was right :(. I took that stick out of the equation, and eventually it's twin stick as well. Those were the 4gbs, leaving just the two 8gb sticks. I made sure to put them in separate channels, and I was in the clear for a day or two. Then the issue happened again.

I've ran a memory test through windows which returns no issues, I've stressed tested both my CPU and GPU using prime95 and furmark respectively. I've prayed to multiple gods, and yet the blue screen comes back to get me. Currently I'm running MemTest but I doubt that returns any issues, because that would be too easy.

Below are my PC specs, please I'm willing to try anything you guys recommend, I've wasted too much time with no solution found.

Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Pro4
CPU: i7 6700k (not overclocked) @ 4GHz
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970
PSU:EVGA Super Nova 750 G3
RAM:

- Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 (2x4gb) [These are the ones not currently in my PC, I thought they were the culprits, they were not]

- Crucial Ballistix Elite DDR4-2666 (2x8gb) [These are the two still in my system, but the issue is still persisting]

Last edited by a moderator:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your PSU. How old is the unit? What OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

First, a reinstall of windows.
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Sep 6, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What BIOS version are you currently on for your motherboard? As for your PSU. How old is the unit? What OS are you working with? If you're on Windows 10, what version(not edition) of the OS are you on?

First, a reinstall of windows.
Where did you source the installer for the OS?

BIOS Version: American Megatrends Inc. P7.50, 1/23/2018 (Thats what I got from windows, I hope that's correct, let me know if not)

My PSU was purchased towards the latter of 2017, so a little less than 5 years old.

Windows 10 Version 10.0.19044 Build 19044

Please let me know if you need any other info, I appreciate your help.

Sep 6, 2022
The BIOS version should be on point, if you want to be double sure, use CPU-Z and check under the Mainboard tab. + Where did you source the installer for the OS?
The BIOS version should be on point, if you want to be double sure, use CPU-Z and check under the Mainboard tab. + Where did you source the installer for the OS?

Sorry, that's my bad, I completely missed that part of your reply. I sourced it from Microsoft directly using this link (https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10) and a spare flash drive. I will note, I didn't do a fully clean install, I did the "keep my programs and files" option, but it did end up deleting most of my files anyways that I had to end up reinstalling.

As far as the BIOS version, CPU-Z lines up with the same BIOS version I mentioned before, American Megathreads Inc. P7.50 01/23/2018.