Question BSOD BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO | IBUYPOWER Trace2 9250

Dec 26, 2019
Specs:
  • System: Intel Core i7-9700f 8-Core 3.0GHz (4.70 GHz Max Turbo) | 16GB DDR4-2666 RAM | 1TB HDD | 240GB SSD | Genuine Windows 10 Home 64-bit
  • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6GB Dedicated Gaming Video Card | VR Ready | 1x DVI | 1x HDMI | 1x Display Port

I purchased a $1,000 IBUYPOWER Gaming PC from Amazon in September, and in October the computer blue screened with the error CRITICAL_PROCESS_DIED. Eventually it stopped turning on at all, and I was forced to send it in for repairs with the warranty. So I send it in, but when it came back the PC blue screened again with the same issue. So I send it in a second time, but when it came back it STILL blue screened. The third time I sent it in, they promised to rebuild the PC, and when it finally got here in December it worked for about 4 days until I got another blue screen: BAD_SYSTEM_CONFIG_INFO.

Since this happened over the holidays I have not had much time to dedicate to fixing it, but I have called IBUYPOWER twice and their tips on reinstalling windows have not succeeded. I have tried virtually everything I could find as a fix online and nothing has worked.

Here’s a short list of what I’d tried (I’ve probably forgotten some things):

Startup Repair
Bcdedit / repairbcd
System Restore (no restore points since the PC is only a couple days new)
Chkdsk
creating a USB to repair/reinstall Windows (on SSD and Hard Drive)

IBUYPOWER said the problem was the SSD, and that we could initiate a part swap and I’d replace the SSD. This however does not explain that I still get this problem when installing windows directly to the hard drive.

I don't know where else to turn. So I thought I would try here. Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

You can try this too.
  1. Boot your computer from Windows 10 installation media.
  2. Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
  3. When Command Prompt opens, enter the following lines and press Enter after each line in order to run it:
    • CD C:WindowsSystem32config
    • ren C:WindowsSystem32configDEFAULT DEFAULT.old
    • ren C:WindowsSystem32configSAM SAM.old
    • ren CWindowsSystem32configSECURITY SECURITY.old
    • ren C:WindowsSystem32configSOFTWARE SOFTWARE.old
    • ren C:WindowsSystem32configSYSTEM SYSTEM.old
  4. By entering these commands you’ll rename all these folders. After you rename them, Windows 10 won’t be able to use them anymore. You can also delete them, but it’s always better to rename them in case you need to restore them later.
  5. Now enter the following lines into Command Prompt:
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackDEFAULT C:WindowsSystem32config
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSAM C:WindowsSystem32config
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSECURITY C:WindowsSystem32config
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSYSTEM C:WindowsSystem32config
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSOFTWARE C:WindowsSystem32config
  6. This will copy the registry backup and replace the old files. Close Command Prompt and restart your computer.

Dec 26, 2019
You can try this too.
  1. Boot your computer from Windows 10 installation media.
  2. Choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt.
  3. When Command Prompt opens, enter the following lines and press Enter after each line in order to run it:
    • CD C:WindowsSystem32config
    • ren C:WindowsSystem32configDEFAULT DEFAULT.old
    • ren C:WindowsSystem32configSAM SAM.old
    • ren CWindowsSystem32configSECURITY SECURITY.old
    • ren C:WindowsSystem32configSOFTWARE SOFTWARE.old
    • ren C:WindowsSystem32configSYSTEM SYSTEM.old
  4. By entering these commands you’ll rename all these folders. After you rename them, Windows 10 won’t be able to use them anymore. You can also delete them, but it’s always better to rename them in case you need to restore them later.
  5. Now enter the following lines into Command Prompt:
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackDEFAULT C:WindowsSystem32config
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSAM C:WindowsSystem32config
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSECURITY C:WindowsSystem32config
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSYSTEM C:WindowsSystem32config
    • copy C:WindowsSystem32configRegBackSOFTWARE C:WindowsSystem32config
  6. This will copy the registry backup and replace the old files. Close Command Prompt and restart your computer.

I have successfully the completed 1-4, but when it gets to step 5 I get an error "The system cannot find the file specified" after entering copy C:\Windows\System32\config\RegBack\DEFAULT C:\Windows\System32\config\

Dec 26, 2019
Ok have you tried installing windows to the hd and making it the boot drive?

Just tried to install it on the HD but it cancelled the installation.

"Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x800701B1"

I tried it again and got a different error:

"Windows Setup could not reinitialize the deployment engine. To install Windows, restart the installation."

Any ideas? This works when trying to install on the SSD (it just restarts and ends up in the same issue) so I know all the install files are there.

Last edited:
Just tried to install it on the HD but it cancelled the installation.

"Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x800701B1"

I tried it again and got a different error:

"Windows Setup could not reinitialize the deployment engine. To install Windows, restart the installation."

Any ideas? This works when trying to install on the SSD (it just restarts and ends up in the same issue) so I know all the install files are there.
I would try making a fresh bootable media tool.