[SOLVED] BSOD / Bootloop after playing video with MPC Classic. (Possibly corrupt video driver / DirectX?)

Apr 8, 2021
Upon trying to play a video (ts. recording if it matters) with MPC Classic, the message: "DX9AllocatorPresenter failed D3DERR_NOTAVAILABLE" appeared. On the next boot/ever since, I am stuck in a bsod/bootloop with the "Critical service failed" code and all known remedies including automatic repair and every possible advanced startup setting such as "disable driver signature enforcement", safe mode etc. seems to fail. This happens for the third time within this computer's first year (always same circumstances which also prolly signals that this isn't a hardware issue, hopefully!) and this time system restore also fails (the only solution that did the trick previously), and I'd really REALLY prefer not having to format/reset Windows once again. But even if I do that, I need to find the cause of the issue so it doesn't happen again.

My guess is that sometimes MPC Classic encounters a problem with a .ts video file which somehow seems to corrupt Direct X and/or Nvidia Video Driver, creating the bootloop. I could be wrong of course.
I've got access in the recovery cmd and I've also made a Hiren bootable rescue flash drive so I've also got access to my hard disks and some basic tools. Also tried opening a command prompt during my Hiren boot to test some suggested fixes found online:
Code:
  x:\Windows\system32> c:
  C:\DISM /Online /Get-Drivers
and/or
Code:
  C:\DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
result in:
Code:
Error: 50
    DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option
Code:
C:\>SFC /scannow
results in:
Code:
  Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation.

If my assumption is correct, maybe if I was able to somehow uninstall and/or reinstall Nvidia driver and/or Direct X via the Hiren Boot or Windows Recovery cmd line would do the trick?

Or if I am wrong, is there anything else I can do to repair the problem and not have to reset/reinstall Windows?
If anyone has any ideas how to solve or even troubleshoot this one, (the most recent .dmp file in minidumps seems to be modified a month ago, I've also checked System.evtx with a program called "Event Log Explorer" but last event is a few hours before the first BSOD - and they aren't of the "error" or "critical type", maybe I need to check a different evtx file?) I'd be more than greateful. Thanks a lot.

Windows 10 1909

Ryzen 3900x

MSI Nvidia 1660 Super

32 GB Corsair Ballistix GB

Solution
i assume you have a win 10 installer since you put win 10 on 3 times already
lets see if you can get into safe mode
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode...

Colif

Win 11 Master
i assume you have a win 10 installer since you put win 10 on 3 times already
lets see if you can get into safe mode
boot from installer, on 2nd screen after languages, choose repair this pc, not install
choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose command prompt
Enter these BOLD commands and press ENTER after each.

(Note the colon after C with no space; then the spaces which are important - one after T before / & T before { & } before B & Y before L)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY LEGACY

EXIT

You are back to the boot screen -> Shutdown the computer.

Boot back up and "immediately" start tapping F8 (That means power button - then F8).

Hopefully that should get you into Safe Mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To reverse that you can use the same steps and type these (again note spaces)

C:

BCDEDIT /SET {DEFAULT} BOOTMENUPOLICY STANDARD

Restart but F8 will not work now.

it might not work as if its a critical process died error, it sorts of depends what service is dead as to if you can get into safe mode anyway

if you can't get into safe mode, that fresh install you trying to avoid might be only choice.

if it keeps happening in MPC, why use it?
did you try this fix, maybe try to fix it before it breaks windows next time - https://www.wintips.org/media-player-classic-error-code-0x8876086a/

Solution