Question BSOD by booting Windows XP

Jul 4, 2024
Gigabyte motherboard with XP worked for a while with 2 HDDs (500GB) in RAID Array, I guess.
By mistake installed another OS on one of the disks.
Since then error by booting from the one left disk - STOP 0x00000007B (0xB84C3524, 0xC0000034.....)
Tried some recovery tolls from Mini PE, what brings another BSOD:
STOP: 0x00000067 (0xooooooo1, 0x00000008, 0x00000035.....
I am able to read files on the hdd, after connecting the disk to another computer as a USB drive, but I would like to boot the disk in order to use the licence and upgrade it to Win 10, if not Win 11.

Thank you in advance for your response and the advices!

USAFRet

Titan
Gigabyte motherboard with XP worked for a while with 2 HDDs (500GB) in RAID Array, I guess.
Since then error by booting from the one left disk - STOP 0x00000007B (0xB84C3524, 0xC0000034.....)
Tried some recovery tolls from Mini PE, what brings another BSOD:
STOP: 0x00000067 (0xooooooo1, 0x00000008, 0x00000035.....
I am able to read files on the hdd, after connecting the disk to another computer as a USB drive, but I would like to boot the disk in order to use the licence and upgrade it to Win 10, if not Win 11.

Thank you in advance for your response and the advices!
There is no free license upgrade from Win XP to Win 10.

There is also no operational in place upgrade from XP to 10. That requires a full wipe and reinstall.

Given that it is currently running XP, likely the hardware is too old for Win 11.

So, give us some more details of this system. Like....everything.

Jul 4, 2024
Gigabyte S3-Series MB - GA-M52L-S3P
Award (DUAL) BIOS 1984-2008
RAM: 2 x 1 GB, 2 x 2GB
HDD: Samsung HD502HJ 500GB, 7200 RPM
cloned on HGST SATA 6GB/s
Video card: GF210 512M 64B CRT DVI HDMI
USB mouse and keyboard

Gigabyte S3-Series MB - GA-M52L-S3P
Award (DUAL) BIOS 1984-2008
RAM: 2 x 1 GB, 2 x 2GB
HDD: Samsung HD502HJ 500GB, 7200 RPM
cloned on HGST SATA 6GB/s
Video card: GF210 512M 64B CRT DVI HDMI
USB mouse and keyboard
What cpu are you using?

It will most likely struggle even with browsing modern internet.
It might be somewhat usable, if you get SSD installed.
But not with a mechanical HDD.

Windows 7 would be more suitable on that old pc than windows 10.

2 HDDs (500GB) in RAID Array, I guess.
I am able to read files on the hdd, after connecting the disk to another computer as a USB drive
From the very limited information provided, assuming this was a RAID1 array (since you would only see very small files on the disk smaller than the stripe size if it was RAID0), then you changed the BIOS setting from RAID to either AHCI or IDE in order to install another OS. All three of those settings use a different disk controller driver, so changing them after OS install will naturally result in an inaccessible boot device.

If it was not actually a RAID array, then XP was installed when multiple drives were connected, and you have merely overwritten the disk holding the boot partition.

If you want to see XP again, then either of these can be repairable. But if you are only wanting XP to upgrade to a newer Windows, then there was never even a free upgrade from XP to Vista unless you bought a prebuilt during the brief time before Vista came out and there were "Vista Ready" PCs. And I should point out that there was no upgrade install path from 32-bit XP to any 64-bit Windows, not even to XP-64. Windows 11 is 64-bit only.

While technically this system could run Windows 11 unsupported now if you installed 8 or 16GB of DDR2 into it, 4GB sticks of unbuffered DDR2 have always been rare and expensive (but at least you could install 8GB without buying any of those), and any CPU that fits in that board lacks SSE4.2 required for Windows 11 build 24H2 or later. That means if your goal is a supported OS from a security update perspective, Windows 10 will only be good through October 2025 and Windows 11 23H2 one month later, through November 2025.

With only 2GB of RAM I suggest a linux distro using the lightweight XFCE desktop such as Peppermint OS or MX-Linux

Reactions: artk2219
Jul 4, 2024
I think it has been a RAID array, and my suggestion is like yours BFG-9000, RAID1 for mirroring.
There are 3 possibilities spanning, stripping, mirroring.
Assuming this, I tried all the BIOS combinations:
- enable/disable on-chip IDE channel
- enable/disable NV SATA controller and
- enable/disable serial ATA RAID config.

I already cloned the one of the HDD 500GB disks to a SSD 500GB and the only thing I did not try yet is to create a mirroring array with the integrated "Media Shield Utility Nov 20, 2006".
For this I will need a second disk.

However, Macrium created an image, and with Viboot I am able to reproduce the original situation, so now I have a virtual machine with the same error - I first see the Windows XP logo and the squares loading the OS and than I see the BSOD error: STOP 0x00000007B (0xB84C3524, 0xC0000034.....)
In the virtual environment (Viboot), I am not aware how can I try a RAID array, so there must be another way to repair the BSOD error without adding disks, etc.?

I do not see how to upload an image, other than a http link, but the images I have a on my local computer in the pictures folder and not in the cloud.

I think it has been a RAID array, and my suggestion is like yours BFG-9000, RAID1 for mirroring.
There are 3 possibilities spanning, stripping, mirroring.
Assuming this, I tried all the BIOS combinations:
- enable/disable on-chip IDE channel
- enable/disable NV SATA controller and
- enable/disable serial ATA RAID config.

I already cloned the one of the HDD 500GB disks to a SSD 500GB and the only thing I did not try yet is to create a mirroring array with the integrated "Media Shield Utility Nov 20, 2006".
For this I will need a second disk.

However, Macrium created an image, and with Viboot I am able to reproduce the original situation, so now I have a virtual machine with the same error - I first see the Windows XP logo and the squares loading the OS and than I see the BSOD error: STOP 0x00000007B (0xB84C3524, 0xC0000034.....)
In the virtual environment (Viboot), I am not aware how can I try a RAID array, so there must be another way to repair the BSOD error without adding disks, etc.?

I do not see how to upload an image, other than a http link, but the images I have a on my local computer in the pictures folder and not in the cloud.
Yeah toms is a bit annoying when it comes to posting pictures. I upload them to imgur first and then get a link from that to post in the forum. It's doesn't like most sharing services.

TRENDING THREADS