[SOLVED] BSOD caused by hal.dll, ntoskernal.exe and tcpip.sys

Sep 19, 2019
Hello everyone.

The day before my computer started to BSOD did my computer behave strangely. It behaved like it was either 100% RAM usage or 100% Disk usage with Music that was static.

Afterwards started my PC crash into BSOD. The first time was it IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, afterwards (unsure which order) were KERNEL SECURITY CHECK FAILURE, BAD POOL CALLER and SPECIAL POOL DETECTED MEMORY CORRUPTION. The problem here is that always on SPECIAL POOL DETECTED MEMORY CORRUPTION freezes my PC so I don't think its in c:\windows\minidump. My Latest stopcode was SYSTEM THREAD EXCEPTION NOT HANDLED.

According to todays crash was my stopcode DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. Its 'what went wrong' is FLTMGR.SYS. I have no idea how it began to show 'what went wrong' message on BSOD. Anyway, I have updated my video drivers. I've already flashed my bios to the latest version when I upgraded my Graphic card for about 3 months ago. Then did I also remove all old Graphic card drivers to perform a clean install with a program. Can't remember it what it was called. I've run verifier.exe and mdsched.exe on Run. The Windows Memory Diagnostic tested the computer's memory and detected no errors. I couldn't use verifier correctly so I just stopped it. It came to me afterwards that my PC might crashed more than normal when I had verifier.exe on. If I play a game that would normally run smoothly it would play with reduced framerate. I also experiences freezes.

I've used sfc /scannow then did I get "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" so I used Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. I've also used chkdsk /f C:. Both were successfully completed. I've also done memtest86 and it came back clean.

I've been following other guides on the Internet and has been recommended Winthurster.exe and DriverDoc.exe. I downloaded them and scanned them. With Malwarebytes Premium I found PUP in both. So I didn't install them.

I scanned my PC with Bitdefender Internet Security and Malwarebytes Premium, they both came out clean.

PC
AMD Ryzen 5 1600X six core processor
16GB RAM
X370 KRAIT GAMING (MS-7A33) MSI
ARMOR Radeon RX 580 8GB
Wired Mouse HyperX
Wired Keyboard HP
1 Screen Monitor BENQ
Creative Audio Device

https://pastebin.com/PHagRLpi - full report on CPU-Z.

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/of4q6o5b2xqn9/ - raw BSOD dump files

https://pastebin.com/Af0yyA7f - BlueScreenView - BSOD report

Thanks for your attention, counting on your help.

Sep 19, 2019
I did mdsched.exe and memtest86 for memory test if its what you meant.
CPU temp 47. Using NZXT Cam.
GPU temp 45
PSU: Corsair CX 650M

When I'm playing that game
CPU temp 61.
GPU temp 76.

Last edited:

Colif

Win 11 Master
I've used sfc /scannow then did I get "Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files but was unable to fix some of them" so I used Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth. I've also used chkdsk /f C:. Both were successfully completed. I've also done memtest86 and it came back clean.

Did you run SFC again after DISM? As dism replaces the files SFC uses to fix System files, so it should fix the ones it couldn't the first time on 2nd run

Have you run MSI Live update 6 since most of the errors could be drivers - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-KRAIT-GAMING#down-driver&Win10 64

What did driver verifer find?
I have asked a friend to look at dump files, he may reply soon.

ntoskrnl - windows kernel - always blamed, always the victim
hal.dll = hardware abstraction layer - sits between kernel and hardware
tcpip.sys - transmission control protocol/Internet protocol - what windows uses to talk to insternet

Do you use onboard lan or a wifi adapter?

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/v7oy.html
File information:092019-27140-01.dmp (Sep 19 2019 - 23:29:03)
Bugcheck:DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION (133)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 7 Hour(s), 45 Min(s), and 51 Sec(s)

File information:091919-35437-01.dmp (Sep 19 2019 - 15:42:06)
Bugcheck:SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED_M (1000007E)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 49 Sec(s)

File information:091819-32812-01.dmp (Sep 18 2019 - 14:17:04)
Bugcheck:KERNEL_SECURITY_CHECK_FAILURE (139)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 58 Min(s), and 24 Sec(s)

File information:091819-32296-01.dmp (Sep 18 2019 - 12:47:49)
Bugcheck:IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 39 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

File information:091819-31500-01.dmp (Sep 18 2019 - 12:06:37)
Bugcheck:BAD_POOL_CALLER (C2)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mwac.sys
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: MBAMService.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 18 Min(s), and 30 Sec(s)
Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.

Possible Motherboard page: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/X370-KRAIT-GAMING.html
You have the latest stable BIOS already installed.

This information can be used by others to help you. I can't help you with this. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
one error caused by malwarebytes
update lan drivers newest on website are from 2019, ones installed are from 2017. might fix malwarebytes
bitdefender and malwarebytes.. been there. they used to see each other as malware

Sep 19, 2019
I use LAN.

What did driver verifer find?

I don't understand how to use it and thought it might have lead to more BSOD than normal. So I don't have any resultat to show.

Did you run SFC again after DISM? As dism replaces the files SFC uses to fix System files, so it should fix the ones it couldn't the first time on 2nd run
I didn't. Now I tried again and I got Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information

What debugger do you use?

Comment: 2 or more types of RAM are installed.
Its Corsair and Kingstone. Is it stressful for the PC if more than one type is installed?

Possible Motherboard page

Where can I best see what I need to upgrade?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Solution
Sep 19, 2019
How long have you had two different sticks in the same channel? They could be causing BSOD, how long have you had them together like that? A long time or just before errors started?

It was at the same time I upgraded my graphic card, about 3 months ago.

I downloaded the LAN drivers and installed them. I restarted and everything seemed to be working. After awhile my usb keyboard and usb mouse stopped working completely. I restarted and then they began working again.

My RAM "outputs" is A1, A2, B1, B2. I had put RAM modules on A2 and B2.I switched my RAM from A2 to A1. But then did I get a notification when I start the PC. Suboptimal order or something. It said that I should have A2 and B2. But thats what I had before this.
On CPU-Z does it show that I have Channel: Dual. On the Internet I'm not finding any solutions to manually switch to single channel while putting the modules on A2 and B2.

EaterOfNovels said:

Where can I best see what I need to upgrade?
Go here and download LAN drivers - https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/X370-KRAIT-GAMING#down-driver

I mean where can I see on my PC what updates I need to do. Where I can see the last time it was updated etc.

Colif

Win 11 Master
I mean where can I see on my PC what updates I need to do. Where I can see the last time it was updated etc.

Do you mean windows update? Can look in settings/update & security windows update
look in Update history to see the last ones you got.

If you want to know drivers, it gets a bit more difficult. Much of battle is knowing what is old. You can use a program called driver view to see what is installed. If you get it, go into view tab and set it hide all Microsoft drivers as it will make your job easier.

Ram might be okay if its been like it for 3 months. Its likely that certain slots on your motherboard are only meant to be used if you have 4 sticks.

Have you updated LAN drivers?

Sep 19, 2019
Have you updated LAN drivers?

Yes. It seems to be working. I will set the trophy as soon as it has been confirmed to be no more crashes.

driver view

Yes. Thank you!

Alright. I will switch back the RAM on their same channel since both you and the PC said that. That said, since the PC doesn't like either different vendors on different nor same channels could I balance it by putting 2 same type RAM on 1 & 3, while I put the different one on either 2 or 4? Would the PC like it better then? It would require to buy one but its better to do it sooner if the PC doesn't like how it is now.