[SOLVED] BSOD(Clock watchdog timeout + machine check exception) on newly built computer

FireHawK314

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
Hi, I've recently built my computer with the following specs:

MB: Asus prime Z590-A
CPU: Intel I7 11700k
RAM: Corsair vengeance 8x2 2933 mhz
GPU: evga ftw3 ultra RTX 3080
PSU: evga b3 850w

I previously experienced multiple problem when installing windows, the message "your pc ran into a problem" would occur multiple time, but that issue was fixed after reseating my ram.

Now my issue is that everytime I try to play Total war and I specify which game because I dont seem to have issue with other games I tested, I get a bsod randomly with the stop code "CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT"

Out of 7 crashes I have had stop code:"MACHINE CHECK EXCEPTION" once too

I'd like to add that my mb have a additional 4 pins slot that is unused for the cpu the manual says it's named "atx12v_2" but I read that if you don't overclock your computer you don't need it

Could the issue be hardware related ?

I've updated my BIOS and ran the sfc /scannow

Last edited:
Solution
Well found this under 3rd party drivers in that fiddle file,

Jan 19 2020MsIo64.sysMSI Gaming App driver

why i assumed you had it on the pc.

There's also a partnr for Corsair ram there somewhere when if i google this i get this,

https://www.corsair.com/kr/en/Categ...Ryzen-Memory-Kit---Black/p/CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16
where it proudly says that it is optimized for Ryzen.

Most ram should work on any pc , not looking at ddr3/4 compatibility, but sometimes some ram won't work with a certain hardware combo.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Could the issue be hardware related ?
both the BSOD you got are hardware related

If you have a spare cable on PSU you could use on the 4 PIN it might aid in stability.

This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it.

Can you follow option one on the following link - here - and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD - that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD

1. Open Windows File Explore
  2. Navigate to C:\Windows\Minidump
  3. Copy the mini-dump files out onto your Desktop
  4. Do not use Winzip, use the built in facility in Windows
  5. Select those files on your Desktop, right click them and choose 'Send to' - Compressed (zipped) folder
  6. Upload the zip file to the Cloud (OneDrive, DropBox . . . etc.)
  7. Then post a link here to the zip file, so we can take a look for you . . .

FireHawK314

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
I don't have one, I've got spare CPU power cable the one that is 8 pins 4+4, if I only use 4, the shapes seems to fit in don't know if that's safe tho
Some guy recommended me using "Whocrashed" software here's what I got using it: View: https://imgur.com/EO3HagX

Looks like there's some issue with my antivirus, don't know what's those in the orange and red circle tho, "intelppm.sys"

Is there an issue with my CPU after all ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause
intelppm.sys is part of windows that talks to CPU

try removing kaspersky until we sort out the other errors.

the dumps will show drivers running, more than what whocrashed does. Whocrashed shows what crashed but not why. Once I can read a conversion of the dumps I will have more to say.

FireHawK314

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
Well since this slot only accept 4 pins if I connect. 8 pins 4+4 only using half, the other half will be left hanging and there's a part up to the 4pins connector the "hook" is not centered so connecting it is a little difficult so I assumed I needed a simple 4 pins which I don't have.

Yes I updated my bios, I didn't enable the xmp, unless it's active by default. The rate looks alright at 2666mhz and the rate specs is 2933

Last edited:

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well the second EPS connector is split in 4+4 so you are able to use just a half and yes the second half will just dangle there then unless you get abit crafty with a tiewrap if it is possible.

So ram runs at 2933mhz? Can check with cpu-z memory tab or just the bios.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/3fgoh12w/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:091421-10031-01.dmp (Sep 14 2021 - 13:13:34)
Bugcheck:MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION (9C)
Probably caused by:ntkrnlmp.exe (Process: Three_Kingdoms)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 48 Min(s), and 53 Sec(s)

File information:091321-11890-01.dmp (Sep 13 2021 - 12:13:54)
Bugcheck:CLOCK_WATCHDOG_TIMEOUT (101)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Three_Kingdoms.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 29 Min(s), and 02 Sec(s)

File information:091321-10406-01.dmp (Sep 13 2021 - 15:53:07)
Driver warnings:*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for klgse.sys
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 21 Min(s), and 33 Sec(s)

File information:091321-10296-01.dmp (Sep 13 2021 - 10:44:16)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 08 Min(s), and 45 Sec(s)

File information:091321-10062-01.dmp (Sep 13 2021 - 10:14:00)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: Discord.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 44 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)

File information:091221-18562-01.dmp (Sep 12 2021 - 15:12:58)
Probably caused by:memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 16 Min(s), and 35 Sec(s)
Possible Motherboard page: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/PRIME/PRIME-Z590-A/
You recently updated your BIOS.

This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

gardenman

Splendid
I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://jsfiddle.net/vkxwyjtd/show This link is for anyone wanting to help. You do not have to view it. It is safe to "run the fiddle" as the page asks.
File information:091521-10218-01.dmp (Sep 15 2021 - 10:48:53)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: System)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 59 Min(s), and 25 Sec(s)

File information:091521-10187-01.dmp (Sep 14 2021 - 19:06:30)
Probably caused by:Unknown_Image (Process: explorer.exe)
Uptime:0 Day(s), 2 Hour(s), 04 Min(s), and 05 Sec(s)
This information can be used by others to help you. Someone else will post with more information. Please wait for additional answers. Good luck.

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Would be more happy if Colif ran the fiddle, he's better at that, but i'm looking at it as well, see if i can come up with something.

Can you test with different ram? Maybe from a friend, neighbour or local shop. Found the partnr in that file and it says the ram is being Ryzen specific, should in theory not matter, but maybe in practice it does.

Soemthing else i saw, but these are likely just part of W10 anyway is this,

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN8_DRIVER_FAULT

Wonder if the game will run properly, one if you run it as admin, two if you run it in compatibility mode.

I also see the MSI Gaming app, can you remove that from the system, would imo be best with "Revo Uninstaller" which removes remains, see after this if it helped, can always reinstall. Saw some things said about this and it not always work great from what i remember, do not use/install this myself even when using MSI boards.

Last edited:

FireHawK314

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
I had the MSI gaming app installed at some point in my old rig and still use old stuff like the ram sticks and some storage device, but the windows is freshly installed and on a new SSD, how did that MSI app showed up here, I'll receive new RAM sticks tomorrow so I will try with these on, how can one tell if the ram sticks are intel/amd specific tho ?

Btw I wasn't able to find the MSI app on Revo uninstaller mb leftover files in the system folders ?

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
Well found this under 3rd party drivers in that fiddle file,

Jan 19 2020MsIo64.sysMSI Gaming App driver

why i assumed you had it on the pc.

There's also a partnr for Corsair ram there somewhere when if i google this i get this,

https://www.corsair.com/kr/en/Categ...Ryzen-Memory-Kit---Black/p/CMK16GX4M2Z2933C16
where it proudly says that it is optimized for Ryzen.

Most ram should work on any pc , not looking at ddr3/4 compatibility, but sometimes some ram won't work with a certain hardware combo.

Reactions: Colif
Solution

FireHawK314

Reputable
Aug 22, 2018
So I've changed my ram sticks and it didn't crash once in 2-3 hours long session compared to the 1 hour top with my old ram sticks.
Looks like the i7 11700k isn't compatible with corsair vengeance LPX 16gb 2933mhz at least those with the amd optimized label.

Thanks for the help guys really appreciate it