Question BSOD "clock watchdog timeout"

• Thread starter Deleted member 2316159
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2316159

Hi, i just ran the intel burn test at stock speeds with my Intel i5-9600k (4.3ghz) and my ram at 3000mhz with XMP enabled (Corsair Vengeance Led White) to check system stability and i get this BSOD: "clock watchdog timeout". If i disable Turbo Boost, the test passes just fine. Mother is a Maximus Hero XI WiFi. What could it be? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I was recently battling this same issue.

First make sure windows is fully updated. Make sure all drivers are fully updated. Turn off any overclock and xmp profile. Turboboost should be ok, but turn it off just in case. Run a memtest, again without xmp, completely stock settings.

My issue turned out to be an unstable oc and a glitchy xmp profile. And resolved itself when I turned my oc back with xmp off. I'm slowly working my oc back up, but still have xmp off. I have noticed zero difference from the 2666 base to the 3000 xmp, and more important ZERO crashes since. I'll get back to where is was, o my stable this time. But I'm enjoying gaming without crashes.

After you do the above you can try to oc or turn on xmp. Oc first cpu if you want, then move onto ram.

Two very helpful threads to resolve this issue.

D

Deleted member 2316159

I was recently battling this same issue.

First make sure windows is fully updated. Make sure all drivers are fully updated. Turn off any overclock and xmp profile. Turboboost should be ok, but turn it off just in case. Run a memtest, again without xmp, completely stock settings.

My issue turned out to be an unstable oc and a glitchy xmp profile. And resolved itself when I turned my oc back with xmp off. I'm slowly working my oc back up, but still have xmp off. I have noticed zero difference from the 2666 base to the 3000 xmp, and more important ZERO crashes since. I'll get back to where is was, o my stable this time. But I'm enjoying gaming without crashes.

After you do the above you can try to oc or turn on xmp. Oc first cpu if you want, then move onto ram.

Two very helpful threads to resolve this issue.

Thanks! I'll give it a try and then i'll let you know how it goes. :)

D

Deleted member 2316159

The Windows memory test is ok, but you should use memtest86, as recommended in the above links. Much more thorough tests. You just need a flash drive for it.

Good luck. Bsods are zero fun.
MemTest passed ok. BSOD when trying to do Prime95 test. Ram without XMP, i5 with turbo boost enabled. Is the CPU bad or is something with the mobo settings?

D

Deleted member 2316159

The Windows memory test is ok, but you should use memtest86, as recommended in the above links. Much more thorough tests. You just need a flash drive for it.

Good luck. Bsods are zero fun.
In less than 1 minute i get a BSOD with the custom Prime 95 test with turbo boost enabled. If i disable turbo boost i'm fine. Not only with Prime95, i'm good with x265, AIDA (all tests: fpu, cpu, cache, etc), RealBench, intel Burn test, OCCT. I don't know what is going on with my turbo boost (having or not XMP enabled or disabled).

D

Deleted member 2316159

It's possible. Is BIOS fully updated? What are the temps? I hate to suggest bumping voltage on a stock cpu, but you may need to try. I'd wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in.
BIOS: last revision. Temps are high for stock clocks with Intel BurnTest: 69 degrees C (turbo boost on and xmp on too). I do not know what to do, ha!

Check out the first link I sent. It will cover all of that. Bios on the Asus boards, imo, is one of the easiest to navigate.

You'll need to go into the tweaker tab and scroll down to cpu voltage, set to manual, then just slightly up it. By .05 or .1, leaving most other settings at stock. But again check out the first link, it's a great write up.

D

Deleted member 2316159

Check out the first link I sent. It will cover all of that. Bios on the Asus boards, imo, is one of the easiest to navigate.

You'll need to go into the tweaker tab and scroll down to cpu voltage, set to manual, then just slightly up it. By .05 or .1, leaving most other settings at stock. But again check out the first link, it's a great write up.
Like i said before: offset mode + 0.06v, now running Prime95 custom test (voltage is 1.066v at 4.3ghz).

Psu is solid. If adding that little bit of offset helped and is allowing you to run with no bsods, that's a good sign. If you do end up overclocking, you may not hit a very high oc. Seems as though you've lost the silicon lottery on this chip.

I would try and run a pass or two of Asus realbench to see if it'll pass that. If it does, I would just start enjoying the system.

D

Deleted member 2316159

Psu is solid. If adding that little bit of offset helped and is allowing you to run with no bsods, that's a good sign. If you do end up overclocking, you may not hit a very high oc. Seems as though you've lost the silicon lottery on this chip.

I would try and run a pass or two of Asus realbench to see if it'll pass that. If it does, I would just start enjoying the system.
For how long should i run RealBench?

D

Deleted member 2316159

You can run the benchmark, which takes about five to ten minutes. Or you can set it to a specific time. From the oc guide, recommended is several hours. I'd just try to run it a couple times in benchmark mode once or twice and see what happens.
I'll do it tomorrow and i'll tell you what happened. Thanks for your time!!!

Reactions: Gmoney06ss
D

Deleted member 2316159

You can run the benchmark, which takes about five to ten minutes. Or you can set it to a specific time. From the oc guide, recommended is several hours. I'd just try to run it a couple times in benchmark mode once or twice and see what happens.
I ran a couple of time the ASUS RealBench benchmark and everything was ok. The only thing is that i changed the XMP profile, i selected profile 1 instead of 2 and CPU voltage on auto and nothing happened. I'm going to try these settings and see what happens. I don't know why i have these problems at stocks settings and only changing the RAM profile.

D

Deleted member 2316159