Question BSOD critical process died after clean installation

Pushedspore

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
Recently I bought an ssd (crucial MX500) to upgrade my old pc still running on a HDD.
15 minutes after a clean installation a BSOD appeared with errorcode "critical process died". I couldn't boot windows anymore, it keeps hanging on the windows logo. Trying to restore windows with the bootable DVD didn't work, every possible option was not working: booting safe mode --> error, startup repair --> error.
Only command prompt was available (C:\windows\system32\). I was able to open notepad and I could see a small volume called X: but I could not find any log files with it.

So I tried to do a second clean installation, directly after installation I used the command sfc/scannow which didnt find anything, I updated the software of the SSD from crucial and restarted the PC. Again 20 minutes after installation a BSOD and not able to boot windows anymore. Both times I was updating windows when the BSOD appeared so maby that could be the problem. I couldnt undo the updates with the dvd.

My motherboard is a P5Q pro, SATA 3gb/s, Bios legacy.
During installation all other HDD and usb (except keyboard and mouse) were disconnected.
Before clean install I switched IDE mode to ACHI in BIOS

What should I do?

Colif

Win 11 Master
Its possible its the actual installer you are using, it is strange it goes through entire install process and gives you the same BSOD on 2 installs.

Try making a new installer on another USB.

X is a ram disk windows creates to run the windows recovery environment in.

Try running memtesst86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 8 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. - just a precaution as often weird bugs in installs are ram related.

if the only thing you changed was the ssd and everything worked fine before, Try running this on next install - https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-storage-executive